SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#286521 - 05/01/10 10:45 AM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I really don't care for the Ketron sound. I have said that before. Yamaha, Korg and Roland sound better to me. Sorry

#286522 - 05/01/10 12:57 PM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
I really don't care for the Ketron sound. I have said that before. Yamaha, Korg and Roland sound better to me. Sorry

No need to apologise, its what's known as personal benchmarking. Our ears get used to a certain sound and that becomes our measure for everything else regardless of the lack of realism. I have a friend who is a classical Pianist and has a Steinway Grand Piano at home. If I want to know if a Piano is good or not I ask his oppinion. I spend so much time around Yamaha Clavinovas and the like that they have become my benchmark. I am always glad to hear him play to remind me how a Piano really sounds.

I am also noticing something pretty startling, some of the young musicians I know are beginning to favour higher frequency sound and have their amps set up that way prefering way too much top and lower the mid and bass but then add the bass via a boost to give the thump, but without clarity. I am certain its because they listen to most of their music on mp3 players and and phones through the built in speakers or with little earphones.

#286523 - 05/01/10 03:14 PM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
FransN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:
No need to apologise, its what's known as personal benchmarking. Our ears get used to a certain sound and that becomes our measure for everything else regardless of the lack of realism. I have a friend who is a classical Pianist and has a Steinway Grand Piano at home. If I want to know if a Piano is good or not I ask his oppinion. I spend so much time around Yamaha Clavinovas and the like that they have become my benchmark. I am always glad to hear him play to remind me how a Piano really sounds.

I am also noticing something pretty startling, some of the young musicians I know are beginning to favour higher frequency sound and have their amps set up that way prefering way too much top and lower the mid and bass but then add the bass via a boost to give the thump, but without clarity. I am certain its because they listen to most of their music on mp3 players and and phones through the built in speakers or with little earphones.

Yes I said that a few days ago. If you really want to sound like the real thing buy and play the real thing. Even the best sample doesn't come close to the real thing IMHO.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 05-01-2010).]

#286524 - 05/01/10 04:24 PM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Yes I said that a few days ago. If you really want to sound like the real thing buy and play the real thing. Even the best sample doesn't come close to the real thing IMHO.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 05-01-2010).]

I agree 100%, although its not always possible to have a drummer and percussionist, a couple of guitarists and a bass player all together at once...and thats the holy grail for an arranger keyboardist, it is for me anyway - to have something that sounds and feels as close as possible is the next best thing.

#286525 - 05/01/10 05:56 PM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
FransN Offline

Yes and thats why I choose a Korg arranger. With very realistic arranger parts and as solo sounds I use most of the time synth sounds no real instrument sounds.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online