SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#286511 - 05/01/10 12:03 AM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I simply feel that just about any closed arranger can be made to sound at LEAST as good, perhaps better, with an SMF. Yamaha's orchestral voices, I must admit, blow most of this away, and my G70 with the Orchestral SRX board can put this to shame.

Thing is, I'm still confused why anyone with an MS wants an SD2 module... Haven't they been telling us how superior all the VSTi's and GIGA sounds are? Why marry a cheap GM module to an über-keyboard..? Surely it is supposed to sound BETTER than this? :p

What's next? A Triton module, so you can do Korg styles? A FantomX module so you can do Roland? A MoXS module for Yamaha? laugh

Wasn't the whole POINT about the MS that you didn't NEED these sorts of things?

Hi Diki
1. The SD2 is NOT a cheap GM module.
2. It has one bank of GM sounds (For compatibility with Midi files) the rest are the full Ketron sounds, which are the same as the midrange SD5 keyboard.
3. You can download and load the Ketron Audio Drum loops into it
4. It can be carried around in your pocket
5. The only way to currently get Ketron sounds is to buy a Ketron; there is no Ketron VSTi available.

Bill

#286512 - 05/01/10 12:12 AM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
But Bill... Why would anyone with an MS need Ketron sounds? Haven't they been saying all along that EVERY sound in a closed arranger can be bettered by a VSTi?

I mean, it's not like those sounds are unique, in any way. Strings, brass, drums, piano... check. VSTi's exist to do them. Synths, organs, woodwinds... check. VSTi's got them, too.

Having been telling us for years that an open arranger OUGHT to sound superior in every way to any closed one, don't you see the absurdity of MIDI'ing a module of a closed arranger to it? So that it can play Ketron styles and sound JUST like a Ketron? Wasn't it supposed to sound BETTER? It's kind of like MIDI'ing a Casio module to a T3... so you can sound like a Casio

Heck, I can MIDI an SD2 to my poor pathetic G70 in that case... If I WANTED to sound like a Ketron, that is! Don't need an MS to do that!

#286513 - 05/01/10 12:56 AM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
Why do musicians stick with older synths/samplers when the new ones are better, the reason is because they like the sounds produced by them, and wish to keep them. (Same as a Ketron sound)
It’s purely personal choice, and everyone is different.
Regards

Bill

#286514 - 05/01/10 02:09 AM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I don't lug around a Super Canvas for the few sounds from my G1000 that aren't in the G70! When I move on, I move ON...

Let's face it, if you are THAT big a fan of the Ketron sound, you are going to want a REAL Ketron Audya, not the stripped down module of an SD5. Might as well get a V-Machine, and MIDI it to an Audya if you want a few GIGA size RH sounds...

It would be a bloody site faster to get a decent sound together that way, from all I've read and heard!

#286515 - 05/01/10 05:41 AM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Diki
Why do musicians stick with older synths/samplers when the new ones are better, the reason is because they like the sounds produced by them, and wish to keep them. (Same as a Ketron sound)
It’s purely personal choice, and everyone is different.
Regards

Bill

I personally think all this sound boloney, holds no weight and just egotistical fantasy of many players mostly in their living rooms. What does it all mean?...the bulk of the effort should be put toward better playing first. Older, newer units....it doesn't matter...all useless hype and jibberish rehashed over and over again. All I want is a arranger I love to play and thats it.

#286516 - 05/01/10 08:59 AM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Why would anyone with an MS need Ketron sounds?

You don't, but I wanted one because Live Arranger and it's optimized to run with the SD2 and it goes FAR beyond a typical GM bank.

I happen to think it's a great little module and I have many uses for it that have nothing at all to do with the Mediastation.

It will likely spend more time in the hands of my wife and her Netbook.

James.

#286517 - 05/01/10 09:01 AM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
Irishacts Offline

PS... for a lazy person like yourself though Diki it's ideal. There's no tweaking on any styles. They run like a dream through Live Arranger and the Mediastation when the SD2 is connected.

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 05-01-2010).]

#286518 - 05/01/10 09:46 AM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Diki
1. The SD2 is NOT a cheap GM module.
2. It has one bank of GM sounds (For compatibility with Midi files) the rest are the full Ketron sounds, which are the same as the midrange SD5 keyboard.
3. You can download and load the Ketron Audio Drum loops into it
4. It can be carried around in your pocket
5. The only way to currently get Ketron sounds is to buy a Ketron; there is no Ketron VSTi available.

Bill

No it is an overpriced cheap GM module. Cost almost 400 Euro and only has 32 note polyphony. For a little bit more money I can buy a better one the roland Sonic Cell.

#286519 - 05/01/10 10:15 AM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
For a little bit more money I can buy a better one the roland Sonic Cell.

You can always buy something better for a little bit more money though

Yes, only 32 notes, but man it handled those two midi files I threw at it with no effort at all and they where by no means basic files. Quite the opposite.

Me.... I'm rightly impressed.

Cheers
James.

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 05-01-2010).]

#286520 - 05/01/10 10:19 AM Re: Ketron SD2 demos ....real nice!
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
No it is an overpriced cheap GM module. Cost almost 400 Euro and only has 32 note polyphony. For a little bit more money I can buy a better one the roland Sonic Cell.

How does this sound for a cheep GM module ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Here's two demo of using the Mediastation to drive a Ketron SD2.

DEMO 1
DEMO 2

You're way off track (again) with your remarks, atleast try and backup your opinion with some reasoning.

This little thing thats used by the pro's (FRanz Lambert for example) has probably the best value for its money in the whole soundmodule market and has hundreds of uses for a little over €300

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online