SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#286485 - 05/01/10 06:17 AM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Diki, you're priceless. I can indulge my fantasies without any danger I'll actually make a wrong move with you playing Jiminy Cricket. I wasn't aware the GW-8 had no hold,
and was so menu-driven. That's a deal breaker right there, which is not evident when I just look at close-up fotos on the net and read the descriptions. There's always some shortcoming in units that can be critical. Casio still refuses to provide a tap tempo, so no matter how much they improve their arrangers, I will never buy one, nor will anyone who likes to groove on the "feel " of the moment, or who accompanies anyone who counts off tempos on the fly. I chose the E60 over the Yamaha s900 because of some seemingly minor but actually critical function, (which I can't recall now)as well as the 76 keys.

Not that Roland isn't annoying as hell as to the garbage they include v the useful stuff they omit.
It's just that I've learned to live with that for the benefits--but I'm still frustrated that NOBODY really starts with a really well-designed light basic intelligent arranger for the pro (would not really add unnecessary expense to mfr) and THEN add on all the extra goodies that they feel they need to attract the larger home market.

Ok, so now I'm thinking, maybe the way to go
is keep one E60 and swap the other one for a used E50? maybe make a few $ in the process?
What would i be sacrificing except the 76 keys for a 10-lb drop in weight? I'll still
have 76 when i need it with the other E60 .
(btw Diki the E60 was $1800 msrp..but street
$1599, now $1499)

------------------
Miami Mo

#286486 - 05/02/10 09:21 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Anyone had a chance to look at/test the new Casio PX-3 Pro Privia (upgrade from the PX-330)? Or the new Korg SP170?

Lucky

#286487 - 05/09/10 05:15 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
keysvocalssax Offline

Lucky,
I stopped at Sam Ash..they didn't have the PX3 but they had a PX330 set up next to the Korg sp170. No contest-at least with the kbd spkrs only--
the Casio piano sound was miles richer and fuller. Not even close. I couldn't try any other sounds on the Korg because nobody on the floor, including myself, could figure out Korg's new system that's controlled "with the keys". There are no visible controls..no knobs, no buttons, no sliders. Volume control in rear. Looks slick but one must find out the secret to operating it.

Unless the other sounds are better than the Casio's, or the piano sound is as good or better outputting it thru an amp, i don't know how Korg can compete with Casio here.

------------------
Miami Mo

#286488 - 05/09/10 06:08 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
keysvocalssax Offline

oh and i nearly fell over when i saw the word "Tap" on the PX-330! it was under the tempo up/down buttons. Casio finally getting with the program and giving us a tap tempo?

but then i tried to tap tempos in w/ the up/down buttons because no visible tap tempo buttons..and it didn't seem to do anything. What,you need a manual for tap tempo????

so screw 'em, with their passive-aggressive attitude, they should have had tap tempos on all their units for the last 10 years like everyone else..and now they finally have it on their flagship but it's not straight forward, there's frikkin secret method to using it you have to look up? AAAAAARGH!!!!

------------------
Miami Mo

#286489 - 05/09/10 06:09 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
Dnj Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
Lucky,
I stopped at Sam Ash..they didn't have the PX3 but they had a PX330 set up next to the Korg sp170. No contest-at least with the kbd spkrs only--
the Casio piano sound was miles richer and fuller. Not even close. I couldn't try any other sounds on the Korg because nobody on the floor, including myself, could figure out Korg's new system that's controlled "with the keys". There are no visible controls..no knobs, no buttons, no sliders. Volume control in rear. Looks slick but one must find out the secret to operating it.

Unless the other sounds are better than the Casio's, or the piano sound is as good or better outputting it thru an amp, i don't know how Korg can compete with Casio here.

[/QUOTE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgcCHsq8wWo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDRqrwkOrOw

#286490 - 05/09/10 06:23 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
keysvocalssax Offline

thanks Donny, mystery solved but give me buttons or knobs anytime vs that system and it doesn't even have a 1/4 inch out, only headphones, so this unit wins the beauty contest but it's a complete dog v. the px330.

------------------
Miami Mo

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online