SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#286475 - 04/29/10 02:08 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
complement,Diki. gotcha!

i'm off to Sam Ash this weekend to demo the M50

(but if i bought it I'd use Zzounds or similar for lower price, free ship, no tax, and 30-day
return policy w/o restocking fee) I will buy some sax reeds and a needed longer kbd cable so as not to be a total freeloader, tho.

------------------
Miami Mo

#286476 - 04/29/10 08:25 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Before you buy at Sam Ash, give me a try.

I'm a Korg Dealer

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#286477 - 04/29/10 08:46 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
keysvocalssax Offline

Frankie, sure..can you check the unit at
Zzounds.com and match the deal (the 73-key)
re price, free ship, 30-day return for any reason? I won't buy it at Sam ash, there's sales tax plus 20% restocking fee if i return.
but we're talking conjecture at this point..I have to demo the unit and see if i like it enough to spring for one. You may remember me,
I was up at your place 3 or 4 summers ago trying out the pa-800, sd5, and sd1..

------------------
Miami Mo

#286478 - 04/30/10 01:01 AM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
Tonewheeldude Offline

I just had a thought, Ketron showed a new Piano module at Frankfurt. Robert played it when he came over to the UK too and its one of the most beautifull Pianos I have heard. When I listened closely to the sound I realised its not "perfect", which gives it life. I mean you can hear the slight tuning issues with the Piano they used as a model due to note for note, multilayer sampling; the gentle choral effect of very, very slight detuning of strings. It brings the whole thing to life in a way that I hadn't noticed before on anything else.

Piano modules are not realy my 'forte' (wink)...but I liked what I heard and since being with Hammond I realise its imperfection that brings musical instruments to life. You would still need a master keyboard though.

#286479 - 04/30/10 11:26 AM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm a big fan of the Nord Stage and Electro3 pianos for the same reason... a ton of 'character' rather than inhuman perfection.

If it wasn't outside of Mo's budget, I would have suggested a Stage73 waterfall (lightweight), even though it doesn't have QUITE what he's looking for.

#286480 - 04/30/10 11:28 AM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
Diki Offline

BTW, I'd like to compliment Mo on his complementary catch

#286481 - 04/30/10 12:23 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
keysvocalssax Offline

so all this research has just got me going with "new toy teasers" and now some evil spirits have taken me over..and I'm thinking..hey why not really simplify and lighten up, to wit: Sell both E60's...use the Juno Stage 76 or Korg M50 73 as main board when arranger needs are secondary.. (yet there's still a ton of fun that could be used as well.) And, get a GW-8 for when I'm doing solo gigs or even some duo gigs..
where i'm going to go with 90% arranger styles. Sure it's 61 but not a big deal on those gigs, and not only so much lighter, it's got hipper Latin styles and seems better designed and easier to use as arranger than E60 on live gigs..as does the Juno as semi-arranger stage board. No speakers on either would be the only drawback, no? that's not a deal-breaker for me. (whew!~and for a hot minute i thought i was just going to have to stay on course)

------------------
Miami Mo

#286482 - 04/30/10 12:55 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Mo, just send me your money. Obviously it's burning a hole in your pockets .

chas

#286483 - 04/30/10 01:13 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
keysvocalssax Offline

actually Chas, if i can sell the 2 E60's
(and i should get 900+ on those)..I'll be
pretty close to a wash on the replacements..

it's not the hole in my pocket, it's the ants in my pants, and the hole in my head!

------------------
Miami Mo

#286484 - 04/30/10 10:48 PM Re: recommendations for stage piano?
Diki Offline

I wouldn't ditch those E60's for a GW8-L, if I were you, Mo. The GW8 is stripped down in quite a few important aspects (one of the main ones is there is no tempo HOLD when calling up another style while one is playing) and honestly, I don't think the sound quality is quite there...

If I were you, I'd only sell ONE of the E60's (and try to sell it locally, just in case you get a breakdown and need to borrow a backup!) and try the JunoDi with it, or just sell one E60, save a bit and get the M50. The thought of selling a $1800+ (new) arranger to get a $1000 arranger just doesn't cut it, for me. You need to take a VERY careful look at the GW-8, I think. Personally, given a choice, I'd pick the E60 every time. Just the touchscreen alone is worth the price of admission (navigation on the GW-8 is MUCH more menu after menu, old school.

There are translations of many of the GW8 styles for E60 up at Roland-arranger.com. Have you tried those yet? Admittedly, the E60 is a bit lighter in the Latin percussion area, but it is no slouch, for all that!

I just think you need to back down from this hair trigger GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), and research these options a bit more carefully. As I stated earlier, trading away stuff to get something new that doesn't do the job as good as what you have now makes little sense...

Newer isn't ALWAYS better...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online