SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#286324 - 04/23/10 08:43 AM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I think that the MS must use his own styles not that from other brands because they will never sound as good as on the original brand arranger.

#286325 - 04/23/10 09:06 AM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Not really...I'm only commenting on the Mediastation's use as an arranger in style play...which is what I asked Fran to show/demonstrate.

I got my answer.

Having that type of demo on a web site isn't doing the Mediastation any favors.

Perhaps it's time we heard some demos that showcased the instrument's alleged greatness in style play?

Ian

Some history....

This was recorded with the "old" live styler, using the default Yamaha Vst (under 2 meg)....and all was default levels with no tweaks...

As for having it on the web...It was posted using my website as a convenient way of hosting the file...

You guys need to get a life...

#286326 - 04/23/10 09:20 AM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Some history....

This was recorded with the "old" live styler, using the default Yamaha Vst (under 2 meg)....and all was default levels with no tweaks...

As for having it on the web...It was posted using my website as a convenient way of hosting the file...

You guys need to get a life...

Perhaps you need to update your site.

Actually, the demo you put up was the equal of anything else we have heard on the Mediastation...seems like they need to get the people who are endorsing this product to get a move on and start showcasing/authenticating this top range arranger's alleged "instrument of the future" claim.

Are we there yet?

No kids, 'fraid not.

Ian

#286327 - 04/23/10 10:14 AM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
I understand now where the saying "Ignorance is bliss" comes from.

Sad, very sad.

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 04-23-2010).]

#286328 - 04/23/10 10:31 AM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
thats not fair James. The argument would be settled if there was just one Mediastation demo that sounded equal to a closed system arranger. Just one ...... Everyone wants to hear it including diki (especially Diki) and me and others. The absence of just one MS arranger style demo that even simply equalled a similar style on a closed arranger instrument would end the argument. The MS is capabable of it. We ALL know this but why is there no evidence that it HAS been done ? And i have no axe to grind against the MS. The real sad truth is that 6 maybe 7 years on we are still talking about the MS's alledged superiority and debating it until someone posts up a style done on the MS and then we are all left scratching our heads wondering

' is that it ??? you gotta be kidding me right ?'

I want to be a believer and i am easily converted just show me a style better than the original. Is that too much to ask ?

#286329 - 04/23/10 11:33 AM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi spalding.

Quote:
thats not fair James. The argument would be settled if there was just one Mediastation demo that sounded equal to a closed system arranger.

You mean Live Styler just running as an Arranger?

Quote:
Just one ...... Everyone wants to hear it including diki (especially Diki) and me and others. The absence of just one MS arranger style demo that even simply equalled a similar style on a closed arranger instrument would end the argument. The MS is capabable of it. We ALL know this but why is there no evidence that it HAS been done ? And i have no axe to grind against the MS. The real sad truth is that 6 maybe 7 years on we are still talking about the MS's alledged superiority and debating it until someone posts up a style done on the MS and then we are all left scratching our heads wondering

OK but you have to understand this, I don't work for Lionstracs but yet with my video's alone I have shown you more than anyone else has done before in a manner that's suitable to present to you. Meaning proper audio that you can hear and comment on.

I have my own agenda which is to get the keyboard ready for gigging. If you want to hear it playing back sequences I've done, I can upload plenty of that. I've already put two up.

If you want to hear it running though all different styles, then your pulling me in an direction that what I won't be using the keyboard for, and again I don't work for Lionstracs so it's not my job to do it either and constantly try convince people this is the future of keyboard. If I did we wouldn't even be having this discussion because I'd just do all the work for everyone at the factory. Weather it should be done or doesn't have to come with styles pre-setup is not that important to me, it's a simple matter of it just helps if it did so for the amount of effort it takes and arguments it would end.

If I could even do the works as a third party developer I would, but I'm not sure how I can charge for my time when working on styles from other keyboards. There maybe some legal issues there I'm unaware of that only matter when an exchange of money takes place.

Regards
James

#286330 - 04/23/10 12:07 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
I understand now where the saying "Ignorance is bliss" comes from.

Sad, very sad.

]

Yes, and now, so do I...hopefully those associated with the Mediastation rise above it and post a decent demo using the instrument's arranger in style mode.

What's been heard so far is hardly inspiring.

Ian

#286331 - 04/23/10 12:24 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
no james thats not playing fair. Noone said that the liontracks cant play back a sequence. Every keyboard can do that. I dont care if after a few hours you can route the various sounds from any provider into your sequenced tracks. I want to know what happens when you change those sounds using different providers live in arranger play because thats what we would be using the instrument for and i cant take hours to do that in a live performance or minutes.

It is of limited benefit to demo the strengths of the mediastion as a workstation to a community of arranger players and i dont mean that disrespectfully. Noone as far as i know has challenged the mediastation on its credibility as a workstation although i know from your posts that you have experienced frustrations with the instruments re3liability even for your own intended use as a workstation/VST playback system.

You have come this far with your demos for Dom without renumeration. wouldnt shutting Diki up with a kick ass arranger demo proving the superiority of the MS as an arranger be payment enough ?

The thing is if you wont do it then the MS as an arranger is doomed because over the last 6-7 years the challenge has gone out and the answer from Dom the developer and manufacturer and the other MS owners has been honestly disappointing to say the least. its clear he niether has the technical ability notwithsatnding all his constant techno babble boasts nor the resources to hire someone to do it. You are the best opportunity to settle this 7 year debate and if you genuinley believe the MS can do all that it boasts it can in the arranger department then my personal opinion is that you should . You have the PA1X and its at least 6 years old now. How hard can it be to best this ancient keybaord ?

#286332 - 04/23/10 12:57 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
no james thats not playing fair. Noone said that the liontracks cant play back a sequence. Every keyboard can do that. I dont care if after a few hours you can route the various sounds from any provider into your sequenced tracks. I want to know what happens when you change those sounds using different providers live in arranger play because thats what we would be using the instrument for and i cant take hours to do that in a live performance or minutes.

You are the best opportunity to settle this 7 year debate and if you genuinley believe the MS can do all that it boasts it can in the arranger department then my personal opinion is that you should .

Wow! Has it been seven years already?

I would also like to add, that it would be great to see (hear) what happens when you switch from one style to another while playing.

Also, can the tempo be held, or does it switch to the default tempo of the newly chosen style?

Ian

#286333 - 04/23/10 01:11 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Won't you people get it through that dense matter you call your brains, that the MS is NOT an arranger.

It was never an arranger, so ergo it does not NEED many of the little tricks that the designed arrangers have.

There are plenty of Yamaha "Wally-Boxes" out there for anyone who just needs "two fingers and an organ to have a ball"

One thing I will say is that an arranger forum is NOT the place for Media Station operational and technical discussions to be.

It is why I suggested in another post that these be posted and kept to the Media Station forum.

At least that would weed out these sort of discussions, by people who like to see their opinions in front of everyone. God forbid they post an opinion in another forum that NO-ONE will read!!! Poor diddums...

But people KEEP posting in the General Arranger forum. MS users amongst them.

I repeat it is NOT an arranger. Its main role is as a VST/Giga workstation and media organiser/player. A role at which, NOTHING else comes even close....

And trying to find esoteric things like can it hold a tempo when changing a style???

Please, how ridiculous is that...And yes the Yamaha can obviously do it hence the post by nitpicking Ian, but who cares!!!

D

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online