Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#286304 - 04/22/10 06:06 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
True, but everything must be loaded to RAM and you only have 128MB on the PA800 and 256MB on the PA2X.

Loading times are upwards of 9 minutes on the Pa2X for 256MB of data where the Medaistation would take less than 1 second to load the same amount of data.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 04-22-2010).]

Yes but the next generation will be there soon of Korg and who know what they will come with. I prefer waiting for Korg.

#286305 - 04/22/10 06:28 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The folks that are tooting the mid range priced closed keyboards are a mute point...You Korg PA500, Yamaha PSR s910 users...don't even feel the need to use their respective top of the line models....for what ever reason..though they are considerably better than the lower line...

How can we expect you guys to be aware of superior capabilities or expect you to apply any effort that a open system keyboard requires...

Stay with your easy way out boards....and those that know better will continue to enjoy the superior open keyboards..

#286306 - 04/22/10 06:33 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi FransN

Quote:
I used the Yamaha S-YXG50, Edirol Hyper Canvas, Prodipe VE and Coyote ForteDXi I used with OMB.

Ouch... those two plug-ins are rather old. I'll say no more....!!!

Quote:
But you know I am a big Korg fan and I bought my PA500 for only 900 Euro. The MS cost 2900 Euro excl tax. You can't beat the Korg there.

Won't disagree with you there.
In my opinion as far as closed arrangers go KORG are in a league of their own.

Quote:
Yes but the next generation will be there soon of Korg and who know what they will come with. I prefer waiting for Korg.

Sure, nobody is telling you that you should go buy a Mediastation. There is no such thing as a universally better keyboard for everyone regardless of how good it is. If you like KORG's, well then that's all that matters.

Just make sure you never stick your head in the sand and always been up on the latest gear and what it has to offer. It's important everyone understands the differences between Open and Closed keyboards.

The Closed keyboard is by no means obsolete so don't worry. All I hope to accomplish here is to give people the information to understand what an open keyboard is and what it has to offer. IF that's then something that interests them.....good. If not.... good. But at least they will understand either way.

Both Open and Closed options are good for us all.

Kind Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 04-22-2010).]

#286307 - 04/22/10 06:38 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
FransN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
The folks that are tooting the mid range priced closed keyboards are a mute point...You Korg PA500, Yamaha PSR s910 users...don't even feel the need to use their respective top of the line models....for what ever reason..though they are considerably better than the lower line...

How can we expect you guys to be aware of superior capabilities or expect you to apply any effort that a open system keyboard requires...

Stay with your easy way out boards....and those that know better will continue to enjoy the superior open keyboards..

Yeh rich people. Not everybody can afford these keyboards. And I don't think the MS is superior to the Yamaha PSR S910 and Korg PA500. Have you ever listened to these 2 REAL arrangers.

#286308 - 04/22/10 06:41 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:

The folks that are tooting the mid range priced closed keyboards are a mute point...You Korg PA500, Yamaha PSR s910 users...don't even feel the need to use their respective top of the line models....

Hey Fran...why not toot....er...play (record) something on the Mediastation using style mode (no SMF, please) and enlighten us poor souls stuck with an MOTL closed arranger.

Just something basic and simple, but a tune that can showcase the superiorness of the open system Mediastation...send it to me privately, if you don't want to risk posting it here.

I haven't heard you play using style mode in some time...maybe even some of that two-handed technique using full keyboard style mode that you say you have down so well.

I'm curious to see how great the MS handles styles...and you've had it long enough to know it quite sufficiently....you should be even more proficient on it than James.

Ian

#286309 - 04/22/10 06:42 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Yeh rich people. Not everybody can afford these keyboards. And I don't think the MS is superior to the Yamaha PSR S910 and Korg PA500. Have you ever listened to these 2 REAL arrangers.

Yes..most recently at a "yard sale"

Just kidding you a bit..

#286310 - 04/22/10 06:44 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Hey Fran...why not toot....er...play (record) something on the Mediastation using style mode (no SMF, please) and enlighten us poor souls stuck with an MOTL closed arranger.

Just something basic and simple, but a tune that can showcase the superiorness of the open system Mediastation...send it to me privately, if you don't want to risk posting it here.

I haven't heard you play using style mode in some time...maybe even some of that two-handed technique using full keyboard style mode that you say you have down so well.

I'm curious to see how great the MS handles styles...and you've had it long enough to know it quite sufficiently....you should be even more proficient on it than James.

Ian

Ian, why would I want to do that...when I have my easy to use Prelude to play...

#286311 - 04/22/10 06:54 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
Fran Carango Offline

http://nocache.homestead.com/FranCarango/discography.html

Ian , seriously here is a quick recording of the MS..."Bequine" on my website..

#286312 - 04/22/10 06:56 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Ian, why would I want to do that...when I have my easy to use Prelude to play...

I don't know, my friend...I just thought you'd like to show off the TOTL Mediastation's superiority to the mid-range S910 or PA-500.

I'll never get a chance to hear how much better it is, other than for you to demonstrate it for me (and the others anxious to hear it)...I certainly won't ever see one in my neck of the woods.

Just a nice simple tune in arranger style mode...simple but effective, and showing clearly just how great the Mediastation is at playing styles....you don't even have to play complex chords.

It would sure give the instrument some much needed credibility, and certainly back up your claims.

Ian

#286313 - 04/22/10 06:58 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
FransN Offline

Quote:
http://nocache.homestead.com/FranCarango/discography.html

Ian , seriously here is a quick recording of the MS..."Bequine" on my website..

Awful especially the trumpet sound.

Just kidding you a bit..

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online