SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#286284 - 04/22/10 03:09 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Well then if thats the case, dont say dumb things like "its only Linux with keys"

#286285 - 04/22/10 03:15 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Maby I am stupid but I see the MS just as a Linux PC with keys.

What to you think is inside your closed arranger ?
All keyboards are powered by a computer with an OS.

The terms Closed Keyboards and Open Keyboards are defined by their ability to be expanded by the manufacture and the end users outside their original factory state.

You buy a Tyros 3 today and it does what it does. Never anything more than that. Hence why it's a closed system.

You buy a Mediastation and it's technically unlimited in what it can do. Henc why it's an open system.

The CPU and OS do not define Closed and Open keyboards.

My OASYS is a Linux PC and I can't install anything I want on it. I can only do whatever KORG intended it to do.

Regards
James

#286286 - 04/22/10 03:30 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:

What to you think is inside your closed arranger ?
All keyboards are powered by a computer with an OS.

The terms Closed Keyboards and Open Keyboards are defined by their ability to be expanded by the manufacture and the end users outside their original factory state.

You buy a Tyros 3 today and it does what it does. Never anything more than that. Hence why it's a closed system.

You buy a Mediastation and it's technically unlimited in what it can do. Henc why it's an open system.

The CPU and OS do not define Closed and Open keyboards.

My OASYS is a Linux PC and I can't install anything I want on it. I can only do whatever KORG intended it to do.

Regards
James

Yes I know all that. I just need a good arranger and if I want extra sounds I buy a second one or a module or use a VST on my computer. A oasys and you want more? Where is the end. Do we really need all these sounds etc.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 04-22-2010).]

#286287 - 04/22/10 03:35 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
FransN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Well then if thats the case, dont say dumb things like "its only Linux with keys"

Well it is.

#286288 - 04/22/10 03:57 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Well it is.

So if I connected a controller keyboard to a computer running Linux, then it would automatically become a Workstation/Arranger that I could play, edit and perform all the functions of a Workstation/Arranger straight away with no work involved, and also be a perfectly acceptable piece of furniture in the lounge.

As you obviously already have experience of this, what controller and Computer do you recommend that would achieve this in a similar time as unpacking an MS and switching it on. I would also be interested in the best way you have found to integrate it into the lounge as a piece of furniture.

Bill

#286289 - 04/22/10 04:03 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
FransN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
So if I connected a controller keyboard to a computer running Linux, then it would automatically become a Workstation/Arranger that I could play, edit and perform all the functions of a Workstation/Arranger straight away with no work involved, and also be a perfectly acceptable piece of furniture in the lounge.

As you obviously already have experience of this, what controller and Computer do you recommend that would achieve this in a similar time as unpacking an MS and switching it on. I would also be interested in the best way you have found to integrate it into the lounge as a piece of furniture.

Bill

Come on you know what I mean. Maby you should explain me a simple person the pros of an MS to a real arranger like the Tyros or PA2xPro.

#286290 - 04/22/10 04:08 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
abacus Offline

Hi Diki
Why do you have problems comprehending the fact that not everybody wants or likes the same as you?

You’re an intelligent person, have great experience, and enjoy entertaining people, so why is the above so difficult to understand.

Bill

#286291 - 04/22/10 04:11 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
abacus Offline

Quote:
Come on you know what I mean. Maby you should explain me a simple person the pros of an MS to a real arranger like the Tyros or PA2xPro.

Do a search of SZ and you will find plenty of posts about it, however if I get time over the weekend I will put something together for you.

Bill

#286292 - 04/22/10 04:33 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Yes I know all that. I just need a good arranger and if I want extra sounds I buy a second one or a module or use a VST on my computer. A oasys and you want more? Where is the end. Do we really need all these sounds etc.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 04-22-2010).]

Sure we do, and it will never end. Technology waits for no man. You either keep up or give up. Progress will all happen regardless.

The Open Keyboard will likely be the savour of the Arranger in the distant future. It's the only thing to come a long since the invention of the Arranger that puts the youth, fun and real world we live in back into the keyboards on a big way.

Your fear of it is the same as Diki and others. If it simply had 200+ styles straight out of the box ready to go you would likely be either the proud owner of one already, or a potential buyer.

Sadly it doesn't come that way so if your not able to tweak styles yourself then there's not a lot you can do other than to sit on the sidelines and wait until KORG or someone else brings an Open Arranger to the market with optimised styles. You can bet they will too but you will have to wait because there is plenty life left in closed arrangers still.

Regards
James

#286293 - 04/22/10 04:41 PM Re: Open or Closed Keyboard
FransN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Sure we do, and it will never end. Technology waits for no man. You either keep up or give up. Progress will all happen regardless.

The Open Keyboard will likely be the savour of the Arranger in the distant future. It's the only thing to come a long since the invention of the Arranger that puts the youth, fun and real world we live in back into the keyboards on a big way.

Your fear of it is the same as Diki and others. If it simply had 200+ styles straight out of the box ready to go you would likely be either the proud owner of one already, or a potential buyer.

Sadly it doesn't come that way so if your not able to tweak styles yourself then there's not a lot you can do other than to sit on the sidelines and wait until KORG or someone else brings an Open Arranger to the market with optimised styles. You can bet they will too but you will have to wait because there is plenty life left in closed arrangers still.

Regards
James

I am not afraid James.
Even if I tweak the styles the MS still haven't the great Korg or Yamaha sounds in it. And I like tweaking. I do it all the time on my Korg PA500 and he sounds much better then I have heard on the MS. I also don't think it is the future. People like simplicity.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online