SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#286120 - 04/21/10 06:44 PM Re: You dont need a sustain pedal for this act.....
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Opinion—
If you do not use a sustain pedal when playing a piano you take away 40% of the instrument sound possibilities. I have been tuning pianos for the last 45 years.

Having said that – I have never used a pedal with any of my keyboards. I do use the harmony chord and a pedal to turn it on and off but no sustain pedal. This is neither right nor is it wrong. Keep in mind that I came to the keyboard as a guitar player, if I came as a piano player the pedal would be a must because it would part of the way I learn to express my feelings on the piano. The sustain pedal does without doubt add a favorable a beautiful dimension to the piano’s sound.

John C.

#286121 - 04/21/10 07:00 PM Re: You dont need a sustain pedal for this act.....
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Thank you for the response, but I have some questions...

You say the ""lightening fast technique" refers to using your fingers to make button changes while you play vs a pedal of any kind."

What specific buttons are you pressing to replace the sustain pedal? Have you re-assigned the sustain function to another button on top of the kb?

Please explain...

As a former accordion player myself, I think Donny is using his S910 more along accordion lines (forgive the presumption Donny )..Totally understandable to any accordion players.

And lets face it, with an arranger, who needs a left hand comping bass/chords.

I do play with my left hand froming my own chords in full keyboard mode, but then I have not played an accordion for about 20 years. Piano was the instrument I wanted to learn, but living in a tiny tenement when I was a kid meant there was no room.

In my case I developed my own left hadn "piano technique" which gets me by.

I DO use the sustain pedal, but I can really understand where Donny is coming from, and agree it is certainly possible, and not that difficult to achieve.

Dennis

#286122 - 04/21/10 07:17 PM Re: You dont need a sustain pedal for this act.....
Dnj Offline

Thank you Dennis....your partially correct as I started on accordion as a child 6 years old and changing to organ and later arranger KB from it's inception...I am just tired of this topic of sustain and not entertaining it any longer online. I will will gladly talk privately via email if you wish about it.

#286123 - 04/22/10 10:46 AM Re: You dont need a sustain pedal for this act.....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Even though you need a sustain pedal, that doesn't mean you abuse it. Anyone that took piano lessons knows, there are places where you PLAY legato, and places where you use the sustain pedal. A lot of piano literature actually marks in the pedal points. Obviously, the composer knew where and when BOTH techniques should be used. You don't use the pedal as a crutch for poor legato technique (that's nothing unique, Donny, pianists are supposed to be able to play BOTH ways), but you don't use legato fingering as a substitute for the sustain pedal, either. Both have a unique sound, and appropriate times to be used. Limit yourself to just ONE and you lose half of what the piano sound is capable of.

Thing is, Donny, I started on accordion, too. Spent many years as an organist as well. But that doesn't STOP me from being able to use a sustain pedal, nor recognizing when it does and doesn't NEED to be used... I simply prefer to not let my equipment (or lack of it) dictate what I HAVE to play.

#286124 - 04/22/10 11:12 AM Re: You dont need a sustain pedal for this act.....
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
It's amazing what the Ross sisters can do vocally and physically eh?

My stomach muscles (what's left of them ) and my back ached just WATCHING that video ...
t.

#286125 - 04/22/10 01:02 PM Re: You dont need a sustain pedal for this act.....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
My stomach muscles (what's left of them ) and my back ached just WATCHING that video ...
t.

I hear ya T....who knows what they are capable of.... simply fantastic to watch!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online