SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2868 - 09/02/05 12:39 PM Re: How to sequence for live situation (I'm a rookie)
IGGY Offline

Hi Nigel...
Where do you find the GM sequences for songs on the internet? Is it a variety of places or one place in particular. How do you search for them?

#2869 - 09/02/05 10:39 PM Re: How to sequence for live situation (I'm a rookie)
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I just do a Google search putting the song name in quotes eg. "Hella Good" and the word MIDI then check out the sequences that I find in the results. I actually didn't have to look for too long usually before I find what I am looking for. And nowadays most sequences are more than likely going to be GM compatible just because that standard is supported by most computers.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 09-06-2005).]

#2870 - 09/03/05 11:54 AM Re: How to sequence for live situation (I'm a rookie)
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Also, it is good to google for MIDI Search engines like this one: http://www.vanbasco.com/search

There are more out there of coarse.

-ED-

#2871 - 09/11/05 11:36 AM Re: How to sequence for live situation (I'm a rookie)
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
Great post Ed.

prolly wouldn't be a bad idea if we someday went and posted all of our .mid file sources on the net.

about the topic
there is a device, a trigger if you will call it that (I guess that's what it is) that you can attach to a bass drum (or whatever is best suited for the material) that resets the down beat of a midifile. I can't remember what the hell the name it was given but it's just a little box long and skinny about the size of an old airline pack of smokes (yes, some of us were around when you were allowed to smoke on aircrafts and they used to give out cigarettes while in flight). Anyway, it works pretty good and it does a fine job in eliminating drummers going off sync and a quantized beat sound that can actually spoil the expression given by delayed and advanced beats in material.
I believe it was Steinberg that first realized this when they came out with a de-quantizing function and then later on refined the function with adjustments of early and late by overall percentage of the beat, or by previous beat.

#2872 - 09/11/05 11:45 AM Re: How to sequence for live situation (I'm a rookie)
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
IGGY,

We are all rookies at everything. That is, until you reach about 100 years old or so.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online