SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#5936 - 08/29/05 07:07 PM Free Mastering!
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Hey everybody, I would just like to say that I am offering FREE mastering to any of your songs! Completely free of charge but if you think i do an exceptional job tips are welcome ; ) Id like to limit anyone to a limit of 3 songs so im not too overloaded. Please send your songs too FillSchnickelFritzMusic.com in Mp3 format! The reason why I am doing this is mainly for personal practice.

Thanks!

#5937 - 08/31/05 01:14 PM Re: Free Mastering!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
mm... a couple of month's ago I transferred some old compositions I did in the early eightees from cassette tape to the harddisk (line in to *.wav) complete with tape noise.

I think this might be some nice practice for you .
I can burn these songs on CD and send them to you.
This way you get the songs in *.wav format which gives you much more headroom to experiment with.
I want the result ofcourse

Let me know

Fred

#5938 - 09/03/05 06:01 PM Re: Free Mastering!
Pennywizz6 Offline

Yes that will be just fine, i reccommended Mp3 do to the transfer via e-mail, but if you want to upload a wav and send it go for it and i will send it back.

Thanks,

Phil

#5939 - 09/04/05 02:23 PM Re: Free Mastering!
freddynl Offline

Ok, you have mail...

#5940 - 09/04/05 08:23 PM Re: Free Mastering!
Pennywizz6 Offline

Sounds good however I have not recieved an E-mail yet. Ill wait till tomorrow and see if it comes through, it might take a while due to the largefile size but will let you know if i get it. Depending on the time I come home 2morrow i might have it done tomorrownight (the 5th).

Thanks,

Phil

#5941 - 09/05/05 06:18 PM Re: Free Mastering!
Pennywizz6 Offline

Yeah, still havent recieved anything. Maybe it was my error in a wrong address I had given or something you may have done. Either way my address is Fill@schnickelfritzmusic.com I noticed that above i didnt have an "@" so maybe that could have been it.

Thanks,

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 09-05-2005).]

#5942 - 09/10/05 07:41 PM Re: Free Mastering!
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
I don't mean to stick my head into this suddenly, but I wouldn't attempt mastering of an mp3 sound format. Even an mp3 at 320 constant bitrate on the 44.1KHz fq. level . . . although may be useable to practice frequency filtration for overall balancing of the final sound, the bottom line is that you could never take it to the bank for just one reason only:
mp3 is lossy (at any configuration)

Take a wav and convert it to mp3's finest. (using your best Fraunhoffer or Lame or whatever brand codec)
You just created a detailed log of frequency merges which is what makes it so it can be compressed. Any frequency source that matches the frequncy of another source in the wav file are combined and details of it logged into that block of frequency range and then compressed. Some Mp3's are amazingly close out of the speaker, but they are far from the same on the wav/mp3 editor. Take the mp3 and re-convert it back to wav now and compare the statistics. Better yet try cross channel fading on the once an mp3 wav. You cannot do it to the wav that has been converted and re-converted back. You can, but it is horrible sounding because the frequencies were merged during encoding. This is how mp3's digitally represent sound. Technically speaking mp3 is a SOUND format and not a form of preservable audio media. Rather It's just a compressed digital representation of combined frequencies. The theory began long ago when searching for ways to make FM stations more powerful and longer range. The same pricipal goes for the dynamics of the media. try putting some quality compression or other dynamics process on an mp3 same thing.

I have some wavs you can mess with if you want.
MORPH!

#5943 - 09/12/05 12:54 PM Re: Free Mastering!
freddynl Offline

don't worry Morph.
I explained this already to Phill and told him that he get's wave

I send him a couple of easy ones and a difficult one

Fred

#5944 - 09/13/05 07:36 AM Re: Free Mastering!
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Mastering is one of my favorite subjects. I've been doing it for as long as I remember. I'd send you some tracks to practice on along with examples of what I've done with them using Sonic Solution, Pro Tools, SDII and some fine plug-ins by Waves, TC and GRM Tools. Some of the hardware toys too. Like A2 compressors, old style Tube stereo spacilizers and so on.

Most of my stuff is in SDII format though. I'll have to dig it all out of my DATA CD backups. How long will your offer be around?

What do you use for mastering BTW?

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-13-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online