SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 23 of 27 < 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 >
Topic Options
#285799 - 04/28/10 01:23 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Wow, this is better than Xtreme fighting. Waaaayyyy more blood. Not much 'guts' though.

chas

#285800 - 04/28/10 01:25 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Sorry James...I guess I'm a bit impatient...it's been only several years since the claims about the Mediastation's arranger.

Most of us were aware it played VST's rather well...it was the arranger section that failed to live up to the claims.

Ian

#285801 - 04/28/10 01:43 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Ian, here is your quote that I responded too....
"Mega voices in a Tyros2 style, cover more than guitar and bass...there are also mega-voiced saxophones, strings, brass, trumpet, to name a few more, which makes the Mediastation's task a lot harder, as if it wasn't that already."

Fran, answer me this question, if you will?

If you haven't already tried it, why don't you play a style from your G-70 on your Mediastation, after re-voicing it to the latter's best sounds, and tell us what instrument makes it sound the best?

Ian

#285802 - 04/28/10 01:46 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
AFG Music Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Sorry James...I guess I'm a bit impatient...it's been only several years since the claims about the Mediastation's arranger.

Most of us were aware it played VST's rather well...it was the arranger section that failed to live up to the claims.

Ian

here something like megavoices provided for free by
http://www.pettinhouse.com in kontakt format

link:
http://www.pettinhouse.com/html/download.html

you can see the first one is a movie of the sounds.

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 04-28-2010).]

#285803 - 04/28/10 02:08 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I've already uploaded 2 videos showing the arranger functioning and sounding like a a normal closed arranger. If you want to see it running on premium content then you will just have to wait as I have to assemble my premium content GM bank to do this in the first place. I'm even writing a computer program for the keyboard which I will give away for free that aids the end users in creating their own premium content GM banks.

James, I just want to ensure that you don't think I am trying to usurp you on this

I know you are very busy and the work you have done so far is brilliant. As I have said to you, it ws your work that inspired me to return to the MS

This little exercise I was proposing was trying to help you out and take some pressure off you from all the nagging that was going on.

I am aware of how long it can take to set up just the "right" GM bank. After all there are only 128 slots....So I do understand the frustration that can come from folks continually asking the same questions.

So if you would prefer me to back away from this in the short term and let you complete your project first, I am happy to do so.

Just as I am happy to continue on

I really do not know where the hell some people here get the notion that excuses are being made anywhere???!!!

You have NEVER claimed the arranger was "better" than closed arrangers, I know I certainly haven't....

So how can we make an excuse for statements we never made??? Beats me.

Waht we CAN do is use the same style midi data provided by Yamaha, match the same genre of instruments within the GIGA/VST banks and see what result we get.

I think it will be a great sounding style, albeit a bit DIFFERENT to the native Yamaha style.

That was my plan anyway.

Dennis

#285804 - 04/28/10 02:34 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
"Fran, answer me this question, if you will?

If you haven't already tried it, why don't you play a style from your G-70 on your Mediastation, after re-voicing it to the latter's best sounds, and tell us what instrument makes it sound the best?

Ian"

Ian, I have already done that...the G70 won hands down...

but.....I only have used the default Yamaha vst...and not the "best" sounds possible...
I used this combination with Live Styler..

Now that I have the new Arranger program, that plays native Ketron as well as Yamaha styles without conversion...I want to finish a better GM bank than the Yamaha VST offered..I think NI Bandstand will be a lot better than the Yamaha VST..(2 gigs compared to 2 megs sample size)...

For as often as I care to use styles...even the Yamaha vst was good enough to get thru the seldom used arranger feature in the band...

As I have mentioned often, I rather use a stripped down style or even just the drums and play left hand bass....In this respect the MS Q-Arranger works for me (with Giga samples)..

Even though I am not salivating over the need to use arranger play..It will be interesting to me..to develop a better GM map....also for the playback of sequences..(that I find a better performing method )...

#285805 - 04/28/10 03:13 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:

You have NEVER claimed the arranger was "better" than closed arrangers, I know I certainly haven't....

So how can we make an excuse for statements we never made??? Beats me.

Of course neither of you made that statement...no one thinks you did.

Lionstracs simply stated that the Mediastation could load/play a Tyros2 style and, using it's superior VST giga sounds, easily make it sound better than it did on the original instrument.

That's what I'm talking about.

This has been going on for several years, and it's no wonder people are skeptical, since not one demo to prove this claim was ever posted.

However, now according to some, the Mediastation's "superior" VST's should sound better than Yamaha's mega-voices...that may or may not be so, because, once again, no one has posted a demo to prove it...from those people, all we're getting is excuses.

Ian

#285806 - 04/28/10 03:30 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Of course neither of you made that statement...no one thinks you did.

Lionstracs simply stated that the Mediastation could load/play a Tyros2 style and, using it's superior VST giga sounds, easily make it sound better than it did on the original instrument.

That's what I'm talking about.

This has been going on for several years, and it's no wonder people are skeptical, since not one demo to prove this claim was ever posted.

However, now according to some, the Mediastation's "superior" VST's should sound better than Yamaha's mega-voices...that may or may not be so, because, once again, no one has posted a demo to prove it...from those people, all we're getting is excuses.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I appreciate your clarification, as I am sure James does , but reading some posts from a "select few" makes me wonder sometimes??

We are only trying to give folks a better understanding of the Media Station, not enter in to some contest.

And I KNOW ( now) that that is not where you are coming from

But some of the negative, not to mention long-winded negative posts , gives me pause to scratch my head and wonder "why should I bother"...

As for the VST's sounding better than the Mega, well, in a way that is true.

The core samples used by a VST WILL sound better, after all they are multi gig samples (in some cases) up against samples measured in tens of mb, so they would WANT to sound better.

BUT, the way Yamaha have programmed the multi velocity switching, perfectly matching either plucked or strummed notes, blown notes, pizz and legato notes within a style, make them the standout that they are. The same can be said (to a lesser level) for the Korg RX as well. Sadly I think Roland have missed the boat entirely

Anyhoo, again, I appreciate your comments

Dennis

#285807 - 04/28/10 03:47 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
AFG Music Offline

no miden i do not agree with you about roland.

they has on Roland Va- arranger keyboards V-Tones and they sounding very good, compare them with Yamaha Mega Voices.

read this from roland VA-7/76 V-Arranger Keyboard Brochure:

And exceptional sounds we call “V” Tones that, for the first time
ever, do not stop at the generation of the most vibrant instruments ever but also
provide all the “noises” typically associated with these sounds.
Take, for instance, the acoustic guitars. By playing a low note (using the Octave
function), you can produce the typical scraping noises. Press the key next to it,
and the virtual guitarist starts knocking on the guitar body. Baffling! And how
about a trumpet sound that is muted when you strike the keys lightly, and changes into
a full-blown trumpet at higher velocities? Or a cymbal where you can clearly tell
where the stick hits the bell or the cymbal proper? Or real vibrato instead of a
mechanic-sounding LFO, and breath noises that take your breath away? Hearing
is believing.

this a short text but V-tones on Roland-VA sound amazing good. V-drums on Roland VA- are very good, i think even better then yamaha and korg

#285808 - 04/28/10 03:59 PM Re: Lionstracs Demos now on Tastenpoint YouTube site
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by AFG Music:
no miden i do not agree with you about roland.

they has on Roland Va- arranger keyboards V-Tones and they sounding very good, compare them with Yamaha Mega Voices.

read this from roland VA-7/76 V-Arranger Keyboard Brochure:

And exceptional sounds we call “V” Tones that, for the first time
ever, do not stop at the generation of the most vibrant instruments ever but also
provide all the “noises” typically associated with these sounds.
Take, for instance, the acoustic guitars. By playing a low note (using the Octave
function), you can produce the typical scraping noises. Press the key next to it,
and the virtual guitarist starts knocking on the guitar body. Baffling! And how
about a trumpet sound that is muted when you strike the keys lightly, and changes into
a full-blown trumpet at higher velocities? Or a cymbal where you can clearly tell
where the stick hits the bell or the cymbal proper? Or real vibrato instead of a
mechanic-sounding LFO, and breath noises that take your breath away? Hearing
is believing.

this a short text but V-tones on Roland-VA sound amazin good. V-drums on Roland VA- are very good, i think even better then yamaha and korg

I had a VA76 and a G70 and a GW8, and a PSR3000 and Tyros 1 and 2 and a Motif XS and a S70XS, and a SD1+ and a Midjay and a Gem XS module and a Korg PA1 and PA2.

So I think I have a bit of knowledge about how I think they all sound

Page 23 of 27 < 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online