SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#285464 - 04/13/10 01:51 AM Back to the Future, Korg PA500
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
As I mentioned in an earlier thread I sold all of my keyboard gear in 2005, the Korg PA50 being the most important one.
Six months ago I got started again with an old Yamaha PSR1100, which recently I part traded for a new Korg PA500.
Reminiscent of the PA50/80 in many ways, but with extended possibilities and (overall) more and better sounds. (Though some basic samples were better in the PA50/80 imho).
Still I would consider the Korg PA500 the poor man's Ketron Audya, going by all that I have heard and read. It certainly is the most flexible arranger keyboard I have ever owned but inevitably comes along with a fairly steep learning curve. All the more so if you never owned a Korg before. The touchscreen as well requires getting used to but in itself works pretty well. The sounds are very good and like I said it is extremely flexible. What I like in particular is the fact that you can also replace the factory style preset by those of your own. (not the samples unfortunately....)
As with most keyboards out of the box I think that the factory Performance (user programs) set ups are rather average and can be vastly improved by one's own tweaking.
I'll be busy doing just that for the next two months I reckon.
To pay hommage to its predecessor , the PA50, I have uploaded a song that I recorded with the PA50 in 2004 on my YouTube page. And the pictures....well they speak for themselves don't they ??!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5IiUNce9cw

#285465 - 04/13/10 03:39 AM Re: Back to the Future, Korg PA500
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
john,

I still have the Pa50. It's still good enough and the sounds, if not up to date, does not make you ashamed.

I don't think Pa500 is such a great step forward (is is, but not a huge one) so I'll be waiting paciently for the next line of "cheap" arrangers from Korg. In the meanwhile, Pa50 serves good as tone generator, arranger and controller. Good enough for me, for now.

#285466 - 04/13/10 06:15 AM Re: Back to the Future, Korg PA500
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by john smies:

As I mentioned in an earlier thread I sold all of my keyboard gear in 2005, the Korg PA50 being the most important one.
Six months ago I got started again with an old Yamaha PSR1100, which recently I part traded for a new Korg PA500.
Reminiscent of the PA50/80 in many ways, but with extended possibilities and (overall) more and better sounds. (Though some basic samples were better in the PA50/80 imho).
Still I would consider the Korg PA500 the poor man's Ketron Audya, going by all that I have heard and read. It certainly is the most flexible arranger keyboard I have ever owned but inevitably comes along with a fairly steep learning curve. All the more so if you never owned a Korg before. The touchscreen as well requires getting used to but in itself works pretty well. The sounds are very good and like I said it is extremely flexible. What I like in particular is the fact that you can also replace the factory style preset by those of your own. (not the samples unfortunately....)
As with most keyboards out of the box I think that the factory Performance (user programs) set ups are rather average and can be vastly improved by one's own tweaking.
I'll be busy doing just that for the next two months I reckon.
To pay hommage to its predecessor , the PA50, I have uploaded a song that I recorded with the PA50 in 2004 on my YouTube page. And the pictures....well they speak for themselves don't they ??!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5IiUNce9cw

John I've always been a big fan of your music as you know ....Congrats on your new KB and the best part is that your back making great music....your song choices always bring me back to my youth. Keep us posted on you progress and new songs.

d.

#285467 - 04/13/10 06:30 AM Re: Back to the Future, Korg PA500
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Yes the Korg PA500 is not only a great arranger it is also a complete synthesizer. De possibilities are endless.

#285468 - 04/13/10 10:24 AM Re: Back to the Future, Korg PA500
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Thank you Donny for your kind words and I will keep you lot posted.

Adimatis, I was not trying to belittle the Korg PA50, far from it.My latest Youtube entry goes to show that I was very pleased with this keyboard. It has made me peak artistically (within the confines of my own home that is) and has brought me more pleasure and satisfaction than any other keyboard I ever owned previously.

Having said that I must admit that the potential of the PA500 is vast, and I can only repeat what I said of the PA50 six years ago now in relation to the PA500:
"by far the best bang for the buck !!!".
( I bought mine brand in the shop for 895 euros, that is 1200 dollars .......)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online