SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#285041 - 04/07/10 08:58 AM TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
NiteLife Offline

Loc: Cape Coral, Florida USA
Here goes the " New Guy " again posting his opinions!

First of all, let me say, I'm really enjoying this forum. This is more fun than Face Book!

I hope my comments and opinions are not misconstrued and I want all of you to know I have enjoyed playing ALL of the arranger keyboards and Organs I have owned over the span of 40+ years. Every manufacturer and model have had their own unique and musically inspiring offerings.
I started Organ lessons when I was 8 years old and have played non-stop since! So as you can see, I am NOT a newbie to the keyboard music world! I put my first band together in 1968 and played a Farfisa and a Fender Rhodes. Wow, what a set up that was!

If I could afford it and had the physical ambition to set them all up every night I would have 20 keyboards on stage with me! However at age 57 and playing an average of six nights a week, I choose to set up ( What I Feel ) are TWO Incredible Machines.

The Audya and a Tyros 3. No disrespect intended for you Korg and Roland owners! This post is NOT intended to start an arranger war, I simply want to voice my opinions on what works best for me and my audience and my thoughts about comparing these two Arrangers.

First, let me express an analogy concerning the Audya. This analogy is based on what I have read on this forum from those of you who DON"T own an Audya and just can't justify the cost for this machine.

Along with my passion for playing music, I also have a passion for motorcycles. Like my music, I have been riding for many years. Over the years, I've owned Suzuki's, Kawasaki's, Honda's and Yamaha's and others. In the US Harley-Davidson is a very prestigious motorcycle to own. I worked for Harley in sales from 2001 to 2005.

Like the Audya, many of my Harley customers could not justify the high pricing for their bikes. After all, you could buy two of any similar import bikes for the price of one Harley. However, Deep Down,I Knew these guys really wanted to own a Harley!

They would say things like: Well my Honda " Looks " like a Harley! I would say to myself " No it Doesn't " They would say, well my Honda " Sounds like a Harley! I again would say to myself, " No it Doesn't ".....The bottom line here, is most of those customers eventually came back and traded in their bike's for a Harley. They determined the Price was worth the benefits of owning.

For my ear, my passion for playing and my Audience, the Audya is like a Harley. Is the Audya worth $5,000? Many will argue that! Is the Harley worth $25,000 when you could buy a Suzuki for $10,000? Many would argue that also!

For me, the Prestige, the Features, the Benefits, the Compliments, the Authenticity of the "SOUNDS", the self satisfaction and the fun of Playing, Creating, and Sharing my Music with others is well worth the money I paid for the Audya!

Playing the Audya professionally? This board will pay for itself in no time at all!

What can I say about the Tyros 3? It also is an Incredible machine! Very similar, yet very different from the Audya. With both on stage with me, I am almost unstoppable. Musically I can accomplish almost anything and everything anyone would want to listen or dance to.

The bottom line here guys, IS THIS: No matter what you play, whether you are an amateur or play professionally, whether you prefer Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Ketron, Kurzweil, or any other Manufacturer, ENJOY and SHARE your musical talents.

The " GIFT " of music is a WONDERFUL THING!!!

Take the time to Appreciate and Understand other musicians on this forum, their opinions and talents and what is important to them.

We are all here for the SAME Reason!

" WE LOVE MUSIC! "

Sincerely,

Jim R.

#285042 - 04/07/10 09:15 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Great post Jim!!! Could not agree more. Really enjoyed your site, great rendition of Pink Cadillac!!

#285043 - 04/07/10 09:17 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Owning a Harly is like owning a Hammond B-3.

You can get imitations, but they just don't have the same tactile response.

BTW...I owned both a Harly (a '54 Panhead) and a Hammond (a B-3)...sadly, both are sold.

Keeping more in line with the thread, I'm very happy using the Yamaha PSR-S910, rather than the T3.

Audya's, well, Ketrons in general, are like yeti in my part of the world.

Glad you're enjoying yourself playing two fine instruments.

Ian

#285044 - 04/07/10 09:20 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Tonewheeldude Offline

Thanks for that Jim, great post - and love the analogy!

#285045 - 04/07/10 11:01 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Bachus Offline

Great post Jim, except for the Harley part..

I allways tell my friends that when you own a Harley you want to be a mechanic instead of a motorrider...

When you just want to cruise problem free and enjoy the landscape you ride a Honda Shadow just like me...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#285046 - 04/07/10 01:07 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
well said Bill. That is an incredible set up you got! If I had the money I'd have a few top of line arrangers too. Until then I can only admire rigs like yours and dream...

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#285047 - 04/07/10 01:17 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

BTW...I owned both a Harly (a '54 Panhead) and a Hammond (a B-3)...sadly, both are sold.Ian

Why is it that ANYTHING anyone else on this forum has commented about, you have either owned, driven, ridden, eaten, played, repaired, sold, or bought either the same thing or better?

Yep, the one who talks about it the most does it the least.

#285048 - 04/07/10 01:22 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Why is it that ANYTHING anyone else on this forum has commented about, you have either owned, driven, ridden, eaten, played, repaired, sold, or bought either the same thing or better?

Yep, the one who talks about it the most does it the least.

Just lucky I guess...having a bad day, sonny?

You really need to get some therapy for that anger, pal...or buy a Harly.

Ian

#285049 - 04/07/10 01:29 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For me, a motorbike was all about getting from A to B as fast as could be done. Got into a lot of trouble in my day for living that philosophy!

I'll take that Suzuki over the Hog any day, and thank my lucky stars that it is half the price too... If I WANTED to cruise slowly all day long, I'd get a car... Or a Hover-round!

I guess, as with bikes, what you want to DO with an arranger is what makes your decision for you. The Audya strikes me as a very good sounding 'preset' machine. If you want to make your sound 'YOUR' sound, it may not be the best choice. So I guess I would have to say, when I am editing my G70's sounds and styles, I am NOT wishing I was playing an Audya!

And my bike NEVER 'looked' like a Harley. I use to laugh at them as I blew by on my ex-factory Norton racer... Armchairs on two wheels

#285050 - 04/07/10 01:40 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
ianmcnll Offline

Yep...Harleys were always a bit labor intensive...that's part of the reason it got sold...I just got lazier as I got older.

For me it was a phase, and I don't really see getting another bike...not enough good biking weather here...I like my car, I like the air-conditioning, and I like the comfort of power everything and automatic gearbox...

Arrangers appeal to me on the same level...automatic...easy to use, but I do like editing and assembling styles.

Ian

#285051 - 04/07/10 01:42 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
miden Offline

Quote:
Just lucky I guess...having a bad day, sonny?

You really need to get some therapy for that anger, pal...or buy a Harly.

Ian

Angry, LOL, hardly....laughing at you would be more apt.

#285052 - 04/07/10 01:48 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Angry, LOL, hardly....laughing at you would be more apt.

That's good, because I was laughing at you too.

At least we both had a good laugh....but my laugh was much better than yours.

Ian

#285053 - 04/07/10 01:52 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Got a Harley....got a B-3. Just can't figure out how to haul the B-3 on the Harley.

Luckily, I get to play the B-3 25-30 jobs a year, and it "lives" in a place of honor at a local country club.

And the '56 "knuckle buster" three wheeler still starts when it wants to...3500 miles, and that includes one trip back from California in the early 60's.

My SD-5 (or old MS-60, believe it or not), with my little Nord Electro on my right hand, and my little SH 201 Roland on top are the practical alternative to the B-3, Suitcase Rhodes and Korg MicroSynth or Hohner.

And as for the two wheeler, it's a small Suzuki Boulevard 40...352 lbs, 650 cc's...one-banger.

Now, if I could just remember where I was going (LOL).

Russ (proud "old man's bike" rider) Lay

#285054 - 04/07/10 02:15 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
miden Offline

Quote:
but my laugh was much better than yours. Ian

LOL, sez you

#285055 - 04/07/10 02:20 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
NiteLife,

As you say "I worked for Harley in sales from 2001 to 2005".
Do you work in sales for Ketron?...Just kidding.

I like the Audya too. It bring excellent sound and a new paradigm to the arranger world.

I have no purchase one yet, because I am afraid. Afraid that like a Harley, it will be "labor intensive" = A lot of repairs.
I have read in the forum about issues with sound boards, hard disk, files in the wrong path for the OS. I hope that is an issue only in small % of the keyboards.

#285056 - 04/07/10 02:25 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I rode Harleys (or Harly if you're Canadian ) for about 25 years but now that I'm older and wiser, if you look in my garage now you will find:

I do, however, live in Harley country. Depends on whether you like beer or fine wine.

chas

#285057 - 04/07/10 02:40 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
WOW, Chas...will you ADOPT ME? I'm little Russ, only 64 1/2 years old!

Russ (major bike envy) Lay

#285058 - 04/07/10 02:53 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I just bought a Harley Heritage classic and like I tell my Honda friends in 20 years my bike will be a classic theirs will be "do they still make parts for that?"
I also have owned Honda Goldwings for years.

#285059 - 04/07/10 02:54 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I just bought a Harley Heritage classic and like I tell my Honda friends in 20 years my bike will be a classic theirs will be "do they still make parts for that?"

I also have owned Honda Goldwings for years.

While looking for a new bike this year I found myself saying just those things " it looks like and sounds like" My daughter convinced me you always wanted the real thing get it now.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 04-07-2010).]

#285060 - 04/07/10 02:56 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Jim R, just for fun it would be cool if you post performaces of the same tune played on your different keyboards.I'm sure it would give us alot to talk about!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#285061 - 04/07/10 05:15 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Jim R,
WOW! You really own 2 heavy weights or Rolls Royce of Arrangers, I think what you pay is what you get, and at the moment the Audya is on top of all, I wish I had the BUCKS for one of these beasts I would buy one in a flash,
enjoy!

#285062 - 04/07/10 07:28 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
cgiles Offline

Russ, the Aprilia is an old workhorse (very reliable) just used to ride on the track (beginners and ol' folks), the Triumph is for when you feel the need for torque, and the Ducati is for riding.......mostly back and forth to the shop (but you look good doing it ). Next up, a shiny new Harley; I'm just waiting for some doctor (or psychic) to tell me I've got two weeks to live, OR, my wife tells me she's leaving me, whichever comes first.

chas

#285063 - 04/07/10 07:40 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Bueno, pero, donde estan Donny, Don, Fran, y lo demas de los arranger players? No estan aqui.

Joe

#285064 - 04/07/10 07:50 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
NiteLife Offline

Loc: Cape Coral, Florida USA
Wow! We have quite a few Motorcycle enthusiasts on this forum!

I'm glad you are all enjoying my post.

For those interested, I ride a 2005 Heritage Classic. I also own a 2008 Yamaha FZ1.

Like the different arrangers, both are an enjoyable ride.

Thanks for all of your reply's !

Jim

#285065 - 04/08/10 12:51 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I do understand Jim R. When I was playing my guitar for a living I used a DAquisto guitar. I like Jims thinking. What was the guitar worth? Well when I sold it I had enough to buy a brand new Dodge SUV.

Its hard to beat good stuff, John C.

#285066 - 04/08/10 02:39 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by NiteLife:
Wow! We have quite a few Motorcycle enthusiasts on this forum!

I'm glad you are all enjoying my post.

For those interested, I ride a 2005 Heritage Classic. I also own a 2008 Yamaha FZ1.

Like the different arrangers, both are an enjoyable ride.

Thanks for all of your reply's !

Jim

I used to ride a Harley Pedal.

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#285067 - 04/08/10 02:46 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
in 20 years my bike will be a classic theirs will be "do they still make parts for that?"

I am going to write that down!

#285068 - 04/08/10 12:09 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Wow, chas! That's quite a quiver...

I won't ride any more (American drivers scare the poo out of me!), but if I did...

#285069 - 04/08/10 08:15 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I rode a harley for 30 years, starting out with the old leg breaker 45 and evolved into a 74 garbage scow. rode with an all family club last several years but an outrider in years prior. I also had a Ariel 4 square and parts of an Indian.
My dad rode a motorcycle of some kind in world war 1 with a medicine kit on his back. He was a medic. I think his was an Indian but not sure. I have seen pics of it but it just looked OLD
I quit riding in 1975 when I got married this last time.
Bebop

#285070 - 04/08/10 09:56 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
124 Offline

I still get the odd yearning for another bike, but 45 years is too big a gap, I think. If I were to buy a bike now, I'd stay with the traditional British designs of my 'yoof' - no Harley for me. Although now made in India, Royal Enfield has a new 'Bullet' that takes my fancy. http://www.royalenfield.com/international/BulletElectraEfi.aspx

#285071 - 04/08/10 10:00 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Wow, chas! That's quite a quiver...

I won't ride any more (American drivers scare the poo out of me!), but if I did...

Should see them Taiwanese drive, Diki. They drive in a very "relaxed" manner. Plus most of them suffer from colorblindness (Green is GO, Yellow is GO, RED is GO).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcSdEuaiWTQ&feature=related

The traffic lights are cool, though. The timer lets the pedestrian know how much time they've got to cross the road. But they still have to deal with those colorblind drivers. So maybe it shows them how much time they've left on earth.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#285072 - 04/08/10 10:11 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bebop, I had an Arial 500cc single back in the sixties. Great bike. It was destroyed in a fire. Wish I had it now.
DonM

#285073 - 04/09/10 05:02 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
Should see them Taiwanese drive, Diki. They drive in a very "relaxed" manner. Plus most of them suffer from colorblindness (Green is GO, Yellow is GO, RED is GO).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcSdEuaiWTQ&feature=related

The traffic lights are cool, though. The timer lets the pedestrian know how much time they've got to cross the road. But they still have to deal with those colorblind drivers. So maybe it shows them how much time they've left on earth.

Taike

Taike, that was funny but this is funnier. I have met an "Emily" at least 20 times in my life .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZvAHZ6gm1I

chas

#285074 - 04/09/10 05:18 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
ianmcnll Offline

I try to avoid going out on the roads here in Cape Breton when they are snow covered for the first time in the winter...there's always a bunch of accidents, mainly those going too fast for conditions.

My buddy who owns a body repair shop, says he's always happiest on those days.

Ian

#285075 - 04/09/10 05:41 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Taike, that was funny but this is funnier. I have met an "Emily" at least 20 times in my life .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZvAHZ6gm1I

chas

Good thing I don't drive. In fact, I can't drive as it never interested me. Don't like cars at all. They look like stupid boxes on wheels. Heck, I don't even particulary like those that drive. Even the worst of drivers thinks that he/she is the best and without fault. I really don't understand what's so interesting about cars. Motorcycles, on the other hand, they look cool.

By the way, I can recognize Benz, VW Beetle, Citroen (60s and 70s model) and the older models of Volvo. All the rest looks idential to me. I usually get the color right, though.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online