SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#285041 - 04/07/10 08:58 AM TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
NiteLife Offline

Loc: Cape Coral, Florida USA
Here goes the " New Guy " again posting his opinions!

First of all, let me say, I'm really enjoying this forum. This is more fun than Face Book!

I hope my comments and opinions are not misconstrued and I want all of you to know I have enjoyed playing ALL of the arranger keyboards and Organs I have owned over the span of 40+ years. Every manufacturer and model have had their own unique and musically inspiring offerings.
I started Organ lessons when I was 8 years old and have played non-stop since! So as you can see, I am NOT a newbie to the keyboard music world! I put my first band together in 1968 and played a Farfisa and a Fender Rhodes. Wow, what a set up that was!

If I could afford it and had the physical ambition to set them all up every night I would have 20 keyboards on stage with me! However at age 57 and playing an average of six nights a week, I choose to set up ( What I Feel ) are TWO Incredible Machines.

The Audya and a Tyros 3. No disrespect intended for you Korg and Roland owners! This post is NOT intended to start an arranger war, I simply want to voice my opinions on what works best for me and my audience and my thoughts about comparing these two Arrangers.

First, let me express an analogy concerning the Audya. This analogy is based on what I have read on this forum from those of you who DON"T own an Audya and just can't justify the cost for this machine.

Along with my passion for playing music, I also have a passion for motorcycles. Like my music, I have been riding for many years. Over the years, I've owned Suzuki's, Kawasaki's, Honda's and Yamaha's and others. In the US Harley-Davidson is a very prestigious motorcycle to own. I worked for Harley in sales from 2001 to 2005.

Like the Audya, many of my Harley customers could not justify the high pricing for their bikes. After all, you could buy two of any similar import bikes for the price of one Harley. However, Deep Down,I Knew these guys really wanted to own a Harley!

They would say things like: Well my Honda " Looks " like a Harley! I would say to myself " No it Doesn't " They would say, well my Honda " Sounds like a Harley! I again would say to myself, " No it Doesn't ".....The bottom line here, is most of those customers eventually came back and traded in their bike's for a Harley. They determined the Price was worth the benefits of owning.

For my ear, my passion for playing and my Audience, the Audya is like a Harley. Is the Audya worth $5,000? Many will argue that! Is the Harley worth $25,000 when you could buy a Suzuki for $10,000? Many would argue that also!

For me, the Prestige, the Features, the Benefits, the Compliments, the Authenticity of the "SOUNDS", the self satisfaction and the fun of Playing, Creating, and Sharing my Music with others is well worth the money I paid for the Audya!

Playing the Audya professionally? This board will pay for itself in no time at all!

What can I say about the Tyros 3? It also is an Incredible machine! Very similar, yet very different from the Audya. With both on stage with me, I am almost unstoppable. Musically I can accomplish almost anything and everything anyone would want to listen or dance to.

The bottom line here guys, IS THIS: No matter what you play, whether you are an amateur or play professionally, whether you prefer Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Ketron, Kurzweil, or any other Manufacturer, ENJOY and SHARE your musical talents.

The " GIFT " of music is a WONDERFUL THING!!!

Take the time to Appreciate and Understand other musicians on this forum, their opinions and talents and what is important to them.

We are all here for the SAME Reason!

" WE LOVE MUSIC! "

Sincerely,

Jim R.

#285042 - 04/07/10 09:15 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Great post Jim!!! Could not agree more. Really enjoyed your site, great rendition of Pink Cadillac!!

#285043 - 04/07/10 09:17 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Owning a Harly is like owning a Hammond B-3.

You can get imitations, but they just don't have the same tactile response.

BTW...I owned both a Harly (a '54 Panhead) and a Hammond (a B-3)...sadly, both are sold.

Keeping more in line with the thread, I'm very happy using the Yamaha PSR-S910, rather than the T3.

Audya's, well, Ketrons in general, are like yeti in my part of the world.

Glad you're enjoying yourself playing two fine instruments.

Ian

#285044 - 04/07/10 09:20 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Tonewheeldude Offline

Thanks for that Jim, great post - and love the analogy!

#285045 - 04/07/10 11:01 AM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Bachus Offline

Great post Jim, except for the Harley part..

I allways tell my friends that when you own a Harley you want to be a mechanic instead of a motorrider...

When you just want to cruise problem free and enjoy the landscape you ride a Honda Shadow just like me...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#285046 - 04/07/10 01:07 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
well said Bill. That is an incredible set up you got! If I had the money I'd have a few top of line arrangers too. Until then I can only admire rigs like yours and dream...

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#285047 - 04/07/10 01:17 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

BTW...I owned both a Harly (a '54 Panhead) and a Hammond (a B-3)...sadly, both are sold.Ian

Why is it that ANYTHING anyone else on this forum has commented about, you have either owned, driven, ridden, eaten, played, repaired, sold, or bought either the same thing or better?

Yep, the one who talks about it the most does it the least.

#285048 - 04/07/10 01:22 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Why is it that ANYTHING anyone else on this forum has commented about, you have either owned, driven, ridden, eaten, played, repaired, sold, or bought either the same thing or better?

Yep, the one who talks about it the most does it the least.

Just lucky I guess...having a bad day, sonny?

You really need to get some therapy for that anger, pal...or buy a Harly.

Ian

#285049 - 04/07/10 01:29 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For me, a motorbike was all about getting from A to B as fast as could be done. Got into a lot of trouble in my day for living that philosophy!

I'll take that Suzuki over the Hog any day, and thank my lucky stars that it is half the price too... If I WANTED to cruise slowly all day long, I'd get a car... Or a Hover-round!

I guess, as with bikes, what you want to DO with an arranger is what makes your decision for you. The Audya strikes me as a very good sounding 'preset' machine. If you want to make your sound 'YOUR' sound, it may not be the best choice. So I guess I would have to say, when I am editing my G70's sounds and styles, I am NOT wishing I was playing an Audya!

And my bike NEVER 'looked' like a Harley. I use to laugh at them as I blew by on my ex-factory Norton racer... Armchairs on two wheels

#285050 - 04/07/10 01:40 PM Re: TO ALL THE ARRANGER PLAYERS: FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
ianmcnll Offline

Yep...Harleys were always a bit labor intensive...that's part of the reason it got sold...I just got lazier as I got older.

For me it was a phase, and I don't really see getting another bike...not enough good biking weather here...I like my car, I like the air-conditioning, and I like the comfort of power everything and automatic gearbox...

Arrangers appeal to me on the same level...automatic...easy to use, but I do like editing and assembling styles.

Ian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online