Topic Options
#284637 - 04/05/10 06:30 PM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Yep sounds great. I like that funky stuff

#284638 - 04/06/10 12:32 AM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Been a while since you played with a drummer, hasn't it, Donny?

Those drums are EXACTLY what a real drummer would sound like in a real band. You need to get away from the Yamaha drums and go listen to some live music now and again...

And what do you mean by 'main stream'? You mean main stream as in Rhianna or T-Pain? Or 'main stream' as in Louis Prima? Funk still packs the floor for the age crowd I like to play for!

Mind you, that WAS an SMF he was playing with, not a style, wasn't it? Funny how we give Ketron a pass, but get all bent out of shape when Yamaha or Roland 'doctor' up their demos...

#284639 - 04/06/10 01:30 AM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Let's face it and not kid ourselves, the Audya is the BEST! at the moment, WOW! I am very impressed with this keyboard, now what does KORG have around the corner? hmmmm I hope they lower the price on the 61 key version.

#284640 - 04/06/10 04:23 AM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
Spalding 4 Offline

Loc: UK
yes i dont like the fact that a SMF was used but you still cant deny the quality of the sound. what would be even better is if there was a genuine sequencern built into the keyboard so that someone who is inclined to program onboard the instrument can do so. I have asked the question on a previous thread but as yet there has been no answer.I dont mean a sequencer in the sense that the T1,2 or 3 has. I mean a sequencer at least as highly spec'd as the PA1X.

#284641 - 04/06/10 05:24 AM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
The use of a SMF taints whatever impression I may have had about this or any other arranger keyboard. As soon as you introduce the SMF, you have to conclude that you could do the same with controller and module, controller and laptop, any other SMF-playing non-arranger keyboard, etc. The whole point of demo'ing an arranger keyboard (IMO) is to demonstrate it's ARRANGER capabilities. Of course the quality of the sounds is important, but if that is the primary criterium, the Mediastation or a laptop full of premium sounds and loops could surely best it.

I doubt if a professional photographer wants a 'point and shoot' camera as his primary tool so how can a professional musician admire most the features that demand less of him as a musician? I can understand some of the sentiments here on this board because we have a mix of players that range from strictly amateur home players to full-time pro's. Obviously their needs are not the same and neither would be their desired feature set. But for pro's to drool over a keyboard because of the way a SMF sounds when played through it, is mystifying to me.

I had perked up initially because I thought Ketron had finally introduced some styles that I could warm up to (I'm not a fan of Ketron styles), but that bubble was quickly burst with the disclosure that it was a SMF. BTW, this is not 'anti-arranger' talk, it is merely questioning what it is we're admiring here.

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 04-06-2010).]

#284642 - 04/06/10 05:27 AM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
FransN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by vangelis:
Let's face it and not kid ourselves, the Audya is the BEST! at the moment, WOW! I am very impressed with this keyboard, now what does KORG have around the corner? hmmmm I hope they lower the price on the 61 key version.

The best? I don't think so. The most expensive. Yes.

#284643 - 04/06/10 05:37 AM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
FransN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
The use of a SMF taints whatever impression I may have had about this or any other arranger keyboard. As soon as you introduce the SMF, you have to conclude that you could do the same with controller and module, controller and laptop, any other SMF-playing non-arranger keyboard, etc. The whole point of demo'ing an arranger keyboard (IMO) is to demonstrate it's ARRANGER capabilities. Of course the quality of the sounds is important, but if that is the primary criterium, the Mediastation or a laptop full of premium sounds and loops could surely best it.

I doubt if a professional photographer wants a 'point and shoot' camera as his primary tool so how can a professional musician admire most the features that demand less of him as a musician? I can understand some of the sentiments here on this board because we have a mix of players that range from strictly amateur home players to full-time pro's. Obviously their needs are not the same and neither would be their desired feature set. But for pro's to drool over a keyboard because of the way a SMF sound when played through it, is mystifying to me.

I had perked up initially because I thought Ketron had finally introduced some styles that I could warm up to (I'm not a fan of Ketron styles), but that bubble was quickly burst with the disclosure that it was a SMF. BTW, this is not 'anti-arranger' talk, it merely questioning what it is we're admiring here.

chas

To be honest I also was thinking it was a style he was playing. Now it doesn't sound so good to me anymore.

#284644 - 04/06/10 06:36 AM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
The use of a SMF taints whatever impression I may have had about this or any other arranger keyboard. As soon as you introduce the SMF, you have to conclude that you could do the same with controller and module, controller and laptop, any other SMF-playing non-arranger keyboard, etc.

Yes, it taints my impression as well...I'm rather disappointed that a style was not being used.

The drums were still very impressive, and the organ sound was rather good, but as for someone saying it's the "best sounding" arranger available, I can't agree with that either, Chas.

I've heard much better guitars on the Tyros3 and equally as impressive organ sounds on the Korg, and even the older Roland G-70...but the drums are really a very realistic representation of a "live" drummer.

But drums do not a complete arranger make, any more than organ sounds or guitars, or even the styles themselves...they all(arrangers) have something unique to offer and to make them desirable to certain types of players.

Drums were never a big issue for my kind of playing, but good styles and realistic voices are very important to my choice of playing all instrumental and, mostly, background music...not dance...hence my choice of Yamaha arrangers.

The Audya would be far down on my list of choices, but that's not to say it isn't a great instrument; it no doubt shines for certain purposes...just not mine.

Ian

#284645 - 04/06/10 06:43 AM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
Tonewheeldude Offline

Another thread changed into an Audya topic.

I was with Robert last week and I saw this performance in context and spoke to him about it- unfortuantely it has been taken out of context here.

Roberts presentation was all about the Audya and version 4. There were two major sections for the most part. Sounds and then Styles. This piece was not part of the presentation.

The piece that he played was something that he worked on in his own time and had nothing to do with vesion 4 release. Had you have come along to Frankfurt or a UK roadshow you would have seen it for yourself.

What you are hearing in that video is Robert Messier performance making use of the Audya, not an OS4 demo.

TWD

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 04-06-2010).]

#284646 - 04/06/10 06:48 AM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
FransN Offline

Yes and I think if you like these Ketron drums you also could use a Korg PA500/800 or Yamaha PSR 900/910 in combination with a Ketron SD2 and you will have the same if not better results for a fraction of the price a Audya cost.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online