SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#284687 - 04/06/10 05:33 PM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Anything by Marley. Anything by Tosh. No 'fake' reggae for me, please! But no styles that are clones of ONE tune. Useless for anything else. This is the problem with using players that are good, but unfamiliar with the 'style'. You end up with clones, and they are only good for the one song. Takes real skill to make a style that works across a wide range of songs...

Anything by the Neville Bros. Anything by the Meters. REAL New Orleans, not fake Dixieland, and CALL it New Orleans! Second Line. Parade beats.

Something that does Springsteen or Tom Petty well. Maybe something along Allman Bros. lines. Lynyard Skinyard, James Bros...

MODERN country, not Waylon and Willy and the boys..! Keith Urban. Kenny Chesney. Carrie Underwood. Nickle Creek bluegrass, not 50's style.

Zydeco. Anything by Buckwheat Zydeco, Boozoo Chavis, that sort of thing. GOTS to have a washboard, or it ain't Cajun of Zydeco!

Modern alt rock bands like the All American Rejects, Killers, etc..

And we haven't even SCRATCHED the surface of modern hiphop, rap, crunk, stuff the kids like...

That give you a start?

I got distracted...but yep...thanks for that

#284688 - 04/06/10 08:56 PM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
leezone Offline

Diki,

sorry for my ignorance on "your" type of music
i'm more of folk/latin musician

but...
is there ANY arranger NOW, that can successfully/accurately play ALL these types of songs/artists to YOUR satisfaction?

can the G-70 do it?

i mean it would be great if the AUDYA could satisfy everyone's tastes,
but to expect it to play ALL types of music, when NO OTHER arranger can is a bit unrealistic wouldn't you say?

#284689 - 04/06/10 09:07 PM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
Dnj Offline

lee dont fret....I don't know any of the songs dicki mentioned either or do I play them on stage or do I know anyone around here who does either.....play what YOU like and enjoy the music. There are NO rules...good luck

#284690 - 04/07/10 12:53 PM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, as long as Donny's never heard of it, it MUST be rubbish, mustn't it?

Thing is, I'm listing music that is VERY American. Most of what Donny plays is likely to be played by Europeans, too, consequently he DOES have good styles for them.

But I wonder how he feels about the more obscure Latin styles? I bet I could name a dozen Latin stars he's never heard of either, but THEIR music is well represented by styles. Ketron make quite an effort to court the Latin music players, but seemingly little to address more obscure forms of American music (well, obscure to Donny, perhaps. I bet there's a LOT more people have heard of many of these than he thinks).

If what THEY play is important enough to make styles for them, why isn't US music?

BTW, Donny, if you've never heard of Keith Urban, Tom Petty, Carrie Underwood, The Neville Bros., Bruce frickin' Springsteen for Pete's sake (how can you live in NJ and not know HIM? ) perhaps you might quit doting on your moldy old doo-wop records and turn the RADIO on now and again?

You have to gasp at the monstrous ego of someone that, if it isn't something THEY play, they don't think it matters... Every single band in my area plays something by most of those artists. Don't know of ANYONE that does old Italian American standards, though. I guess by his standards, they don't need styles either.

"play what YOU like and enjoy the music. There are NO rules...good luck".... No rules other than what Donny thinks matters, anyway!

Enjoy what EVERYBODY plays, not just your own tiny niche...

#284691 - 04/07/10 01:05 PM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And to lee. No, sadly, there isn't much in the way of styles for MUCH of that. Not just the Audya, but pretty much ALL arrangers are styled by Europeans, for Europeans. But they make an effort for the Latin players, they make an effort for the Middle Eastern players, they make an effort for the Asian players, but somehow, American music (other than dated styles from the seventies and before, which are popular in Europe) is pretty much ignored.

There is much criticism made of many manufacturers' Latin styles. Few other than Ketron seem to get it right in the eyes of those actually PLAYING Latin TO Latin audiences. Why isn't there as much criticism of bland, out of date and stylistically inaccurate AMERICAN styles? Or of whole genres of popular music (popular except in NJ, perhaps!) almost completely missing from the style lists..?

The horse has GOT to come before the cart... You can't say you don't make good American styles because Americans don't buy many arrangers. Americans don't buy arrangers BECAUSE you don't make good styles for them...

#284692 - 04/07/10 01:11 PM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
"Deja Vu all over again".

chas

PS: I love family reunions.

#284693 - 04/07/10 01:11 PM Re: Robert Messier ROCKIN...AUDYA
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 04-07-2010).]

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry