SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#284493 - 04/04/10 05:18 PM Re: Realtime sound system comparison
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Last week, we worked a room in Philly...around 250 people..the DJ played our breaks with the house system JBL's and extra LS (never heard of them) 15" with horns (front of stage monitors)..the house system is distributed throughout the room..Most considered the house PA as an excellent system..

We (the band) used the Podium 1204's for vocals and a pair of the Roland Cubes (RAC'd)....and the result....(not just our opinion)...our stage set up blew away the house system...in every department...bass that out did the subwoofer and a fullness not heard on the house system...

A week prior at another Philly venue..around 200 people..almost the same JBL sound system...and our same set up....same results...

There is no doubt in my mind that this system (our current stage sound) is unbeatable.....25 year old 15" rule...

#284494 - 04/04/10 05:28 PM Re: Realtime sound system comparison
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Nah, I still disagree. 15's are good, but they are not ALWAYS the best

D

#284495 - 04/04/10 05:29 PM Re: Realtime sound system comparison
miden Offline

5000 year rule, just coz someone says it does not make it so!!!

#284496 - 04/04/10 05:29 PM Re: Realtime sound system comparison
Fran Carango Offline

We agree to disagree...

#284497 - 04/04/10 05:37 PM Re: Realtime sound system comparison
Fran Carango Offline

BTW: I am not talking anyone into buying what I found to be the best I have used....especially since we are talking about 25 year old product...

The experimentation at my venue was for my purpose and reported so...

Basically to see where the BA330 fits and how it fairs to much larger systems...

The escalation into Bose and 15" etc is slightly off the topic...

#284498 - 04/04/10 05:56 PM Re: Realtime sound system comparison
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fran,

Sorry I couldn't get back to this sooner. Unfortunately, I'm tied up for the next three weeks, mainly performing, but also getting the boat ready to go in the water, which should be about the 15th.

As for the recording, if you do it using the recorder's mics--not line inputs, and place the recorder a reasonable distance from the speakers, lets say about 50 feet, then we should be able to hear any subtle differences between the systems. Naturally, the recorder would have to be set exactly the same for each recording, and the same songs would have to be recorded to provide the same degree of accuracy. It ain't rocket science.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#284499 - 04/04/10 06:24 PM Re: Realtime sound system comparison
124 Offline

Fran, this Edirol unit sounds interesting. I run a fairly new Roland Cube 100 Bass Amp, just the one. Can you tell me how you set the eq on your cubes. Do you set it flat, then let the Edirol do the rest, or does it even work like that?

#284500 - 04/04/10 06:35 PM Re: Realtime sound system comparison
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 124:
Fran, this Edirol unit sounds interesting. I run a fairly new Roland Cube 100 Bass Amp, just the one. Can you tell me how you set the eq on your cubes. Do you set it flat, then let the Edirol do the rest, or does it even work like that?

Yes..set your amp to unity...the mixer reads the amp (in stereo)...so you need to run the left and right into 2 channels...keep the same setting eq wise..

The Edirol (M-10dx) uses white noise and analyzes the speaker and the room...it creates a flat signal for all 16 frequencies...it retains the RAC when powered off..

If you desire you can fine tune to your own pleasure for each freq. band...I have found the RAC nails it on it's own..

#284501 - 04/04/10 07:34 PM Re: Realtime sound system comparison
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
We agree to disagree...

LOL, yeah thats cool

#284502 - 04/06/10 05:11 PM Re: Realtime sound system comparison
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Fran and everyone
Sorry for the delayed response. Just got back from Cape May
Really enjoyed the night at Alfie's. Good dinner and great music. You sequences are right on and the Prelude running them sounded fantastic. Your singers are a class act.
OK lets talk sound systems.
First set--- sounded fine with just the Podium 12's. For one nighters thats all I would bring if I were you. Everyone was happy and dancing.
Second set.--- When you kicked in the Roland 100's we could "feel" the bass and the fullness overall increased. I must say so did the overall volume. Really though its no surprise. We all know and I again had it confirmed with my conversation with the Roland rep. BIg heavy cabinets are good for bass. My KX220's or your Roland 100's--- 70lbs each but they all kick. They really kick my a** when I have to move them to an upstairs affair. The problem is most of us are looking for smaller and lighter. Seems to be coming along with newer products. BA330 SA300
Third set --- DAMN I LEFT. My real desire was to really hear what the BA330 could do and I missed it!! Did you really play everything (two vocalists and sequences) through it alone????? Hard to believe. Imagine what two of them could do?? Total of about 60 lbs??
Again my friends and I had a great night and will be back soon.
We WILL have to hook up someday for some live chat.

Thanks

Bill in NJ

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online