SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#284425 - 04/04/10 04:59 PM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
miden Offline

Loc: The World
And don't forget Hellboy, that the Music Reader software is already at beta stage for release that operates on the iPad later mid April.

Makes it a pretty good package for gigging musos.

D

#284426 - 04/04/10 05:40 PM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
Actually the more I see it, the more I like it.

The ipad as it turns out imho is a fantastic device. It's all in your expectations. My purchase of the iPad was not a substitute for a laptop, net book or a computer. For me and my wife it was a replacement for our Kindle 2 e-readers.

Some thoughts about the iPad:

Books can be downloaded from the iBook store from Apple, from Barnes & Noble, from project Gutenberg from Amazon.( all our previously purchased books for the Kindle can be moved to the iPad. Moving from Kindle2 to iPad is similar to moving from a 19 inch black and white CRT Tv of yesteryear to 32 inch HD Tv.

The screen is gorgeous. Apples best-in-the-business It has a multitouch capacitive top layer with a great backlit LED display. It's very responsive. Among other things it can double as a digital photo frame. The slide shows that are easy to create with background music easily added from your iTunes library.

The processor flies along nicely, you have to try one yourself to really get the user experience. Some reviewers say it's just a large iPhone without the phone capability. Yes, it mimics what's on the iPhone but does it in a bigger and better way. I have an iPhone and after using the Ipad then picking up the iPhone, I thought this is in a different class even though it does many of the same functions.

Some of the cons, although not heavy at 1.5 pounds it's a bit more work to hold than the Kindle. Yea, first gen alright, but the iPhone is on version 3gs that same technology is used in the iPad. Bottom line it's a great way to consume content, but not a replacement for a computer.

Dennis, thanks for the tip on Music Reader program, this device could be even more than I signed on for.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 04-04-2010).]

#284427 - 04/04/10 07:11 PM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
Dnj Offline

Steve congrats & enjoy it!

#284428 - 04/04/10 07:22 PM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Local (Taiwan) part makers to benefit from expected sales:

Wintek Corp.: makes touch panels

Hon Hai, contract manufacturer for the iPad, may ship out 4.81 million units this year

Novatek Microelectronics Corp.: makes driver ICs

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#284429 - 04/04/10 07:55 PM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:

Dennis, thanks for the tip on Music Reader program, this device could be even more than I signed on for.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 04-04-2010).]

Yvw Stephen.

The only drawbacks I can think of (and they are pretty big, imo) is there is no way to transmit midi, as you cannot set up an interface, and audio. For using with backing tracks it would mean an extra bit of gear to handle that, so I am still in favour of the touchscreen tablet I think.

And the Dell XT2 is a full 12" and is only about 1cm think when folded. Its about the size of an A4 page.

Dennis

#284430 - 04/04/10 09:39 PM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
ocomain Offline

Dennis,

Not true! Check this out (for MIDI):
http://line6.com/midimobilizer/

And Sonoma Wireworks has an 8 track multitrack for iPad:
http://sonomawireworks.com/iphone/studiotrack/ as well as offering the ability to paste & copy audio into other applications:
http://www.sonomawireworks.com/iphone/partners/

This kind of capability will really open up the usefulness of the iPad for musical & audio purposes!

Michael

[This message has been edited by ocomain (edited 04-04-2010).]

#284431 - 04/04/10 10:14 PM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
miden Offline

Terrific find Michael...Thanks for the heads up...Maybe the iPad is back on the list

D

#284432 - 04/04/10 10:30 PM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
ocomain Offline

Dennis,

Now what I'm looking for (or maybe need to create) is an app that will fully utilize Soundfonts. They would be ideal for the iPad because they use a lot less space than other sample formats. Digital Sound Factory offers the full complement of the E-Mu & Ensoniq sound libraries & their offerings are high quality & cover the whole gamut of instruments from all over the world. Last night I even signed up with Apple's developer program for the iPad just to investigate what it would entail to develop a Soundfont application. What the heck!

Michael

#284433 - 04/04/10 11:22 PM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
miden Offline

Sounds like it might be useful Michael, I would appreciate knowing how you get on.

I don't use soundfonts myself, preferring to use hardware modules, but it would still be handy to know

D

#284434 - 04/05/10 10:51 AM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
ocomain Offline

Also just found out about a current recording app that will be released for the iPad on April 20th. It's called "Multitrack" & offers 16 stereo tracks of CD quality sound:
http://www.harmonicdog.com/

Another application that will be released within a couple of days is 'Monle":

"Monle is a four track, non-linear audio editor for the iPhone and iPod touch. You can record new audio, import prerecorded audio, cut it up, rearrange it, add fades, set volumes, zoom in and out, mix everything down, share audio with other applications, and send the audio wherever you want.

Monle works with all external microphones, both those that plug into the headphone/microphone jack and those that plug into the 30-pin data connector. iPhone users can also record with the iPhones internal microphone. Monle records WAVE files with sample rates from 8kHz to 44.1kHz, stereo or mono, in 16-bit. All file formats can be simultaneously mixed and edited together.

With Monle, you can manage recordings, rename and delete audio files, create, save, and open editing sessions, zip and backup sessions, upload and download WAVE files by FTP and local WiFi, and share audio via AudioCopy/AudioPaste."

Now we just need a new 30 pin audio interface to combine high quality audio & MIDI together into & out of the iPad!

Michael

[This message has been edited by ocomain (edited 04-05-2010).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online