Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.

Posted by: Dnj

Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/02/10 05:32 AM

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

The new iPAD will be released tomorrow how would you integrate it with your music playing...?....use it for sheet music, charts, Mp3's etc, etc,? Times are changing fast...hop on-board the HI-TECH train....Woohoo!!
Posted by: Morten Jonassen

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/02/10 09:21 AM

It looks interesting indeed and I have thought about using it for all my sheet music, thus completely getting rid of my big music ring binder. The price also seems to be fair. However the big question is if the tiny 9.7 inch screen is big enough to display sheet music in a reasonable size?
It will be a while before the iPad becomes available in Denmark, until then I’m looking forward to some much-appreciated input from you guys across the pond.
Posted by: Irishacts

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/02/10 09:56 AM

Got the world last night to open a new section at KORG Forums.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=58

Who knows whatelse KORG are working on for it.

Regards
James
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/02/10 10:47 AM

My iPad should be delivered tomorrow. I had no intention of buying one. But.............I was using a Kindle for reading material. I'm not an avid reader, but like having the conveninece of an electronic reader. I decided that based on kindle pricing and the iPad, it was worth the price as an upgrade. I sold my Kindle on Craiglist in a few hours of posting it there and got what I consider a very fair price.

I hope to experiment with pdf fake sheets on the iPad, they work that will be a bonus, if they don't that's fine, I didn't buy it for it's ability to display sheet music. If the pdf function works out then it will do triple duty, lead sheets, mp3s and my main intention is to use it as an e-book reader. It should also come in handy for viewing my electronic magazine subscriptions. I recently stopped paper subscriptions since they tend to pile up and only collect dust. I'm using an app known as Zinio ( on the PC or Mac) for the subscriptions, it's great. Monthly subscription notifications come via e-mail. The one screen viewing works well and has the ability to print all or any of the articles you'd want hard copies of.

Yea, I know first gen has a lot to be desired. There's a very interesting in depth video on Mac Break Weekly with Andy Ihnatko the tech writer at the Chicago Sun Times and Alex Lindsay another Apple geek. If you have any interest in the iPad I recommend watching this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty6Hjs0NpDs
Posted by: Diki

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/02/10 11:21 AM

Basically, in the Mac world, you are usually best to wait until the second or third generation product. Of course, many people will jump in and try the first gen, but it is widely accepted they rarely get it completely right the first time out of the gate.

For one thing, no camera, video or otherwise. You haul that around and you STILL need a camera too?

But for me, the primary reason to not jump on the iPad yet is, just like the iPhone, it's going to take a while before the developers, especially for the more specialized area of music use, come out with those 'must have' apps for it. It's likely you might be able to shoehorn a PDF reader out of it, but I'm sure we are all hoping that it can be made to be much more like a MusicPad Pro, with all the hands free page turning, synced MP3 and MIDI playback, optional and conditional repeat sections, etc. that we are actually going to need.

Just like the iPhone, the 3rd gen 3G version is the one everybody WANTS... Try to remember how few music apps there were for iPhone when the 1st gen cam out originally. Now look at what it has...
Posted by: salsaman

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/02/10 11:36 AM

I had a lengthy discussion with Apple's online chat concerning the iPad. The service tech was very careful about what he said and didn't say concerning the capabilities of the iPad.

My first question was, is the iPad's memory upgradable? The answer I got was NO. The memory is not accessable on the iPad. What, on a revolutionary new machine, they solder in memory to the motherboard. That seems rather impractical in this day and age.

As far as us using .pdf files for reading our sheetmusic on the iPad, I asked how easy it was going to be to transfer .pdf files directly to the iPad. The answer there was there was no application on the iPad to read .pdf files. PDF files could only be read via email. You mean I have to transfer all my music .pdf files via sending it thru my email. That doesn't sound very convient either.

I think I'm going to wait awhile before I go for an iPad. I think the iPad has great potential for us musicians and dealing with issues of our sheetmusic. I think there will be other sources of iPad killers in the near future that are not so propriatary in dealing with .pdf files.
Posted by: miden

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/02/10 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Got the world last night to open a new section at KORG Forums.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=58

Who knows whatelse KORG are working on for it.

Regards
James

Looks good James, thanks for the heads up. I have to admit the iPad looks interesting, I am nto sure if it would be useful enough to replace my tablet touch screen using Music Reader, but maybe.

It sure is a funky bit of gear

Dennis
Posted by: hellboy44

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/02/10 06:06 PM

We've been using an HP Tx 2 Touchsmart Tablet for some time, and even with it's Display measuring in at 12.1 inches, we STILL have problems reading it at times - with complex or long songs needing to be scrolled and zoomed.

I must say, the Tablet IS shared between us (two people) so for a solo artist, I don't think there would be a problem, but my point is, the iPad's screen is 9.7 inches or so - thus too impractical for us.

Pity, as I'm a sucker for Apple Products in general, and if you took away my iPhone, my life would fall apart - lol

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/03/10 07:24 AM

Music Reader for iPad April 12th with limitations

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 04-03-2010).]
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/03/10 07:37 AM

Still the best http://books-videos-music.musiciansfrien...WRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/03/10 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
Still the best http://books-video s-music.musiciansfrie...WRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Bernie, I agree, I have one and wouldn't be without it.

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/03/10 01:00 PM

I actaully disagree with the MPP being the best.

Far from it.

With a tablet PC I get ALL the same usage as the MPP, plus all the benfefits of a PC.

The Music Reader software is far better thant the MPP software, and has already ahd 3 updates this year. When was teh last one form MPP??? Oh that's right the company is folding up, don't know what you are going to do for future support.

Not to mention it runs sweetly on Windows 7.

Scrolling a page is a snap, with either a touch, or a footpedal.

The graphics, being a PC, are in greater resolution than the MPP, and are far easier to read. I can run USB midi interfaces, and firewire audio interfaces......I can even play solitaire in the breaks.

MP3 files and MIDI files can be embedded into chart files and can be set to start as soon as the chart loads, so the entire nigth can be run from the tablet and Music Reader.

No, MPP used to be the best, its a distant second or third now.

Dennis

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/03/10 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
I actaully disagree with the MPP being the best.

Far from it.

With a tablet PC I get ALL the same usage as the MPP, plus all the benfefits of a PC.

The Music Reader software is far better thant the MPP software, and has already ahd 3 updates this year. When was teh last one form MPP??? Oh that's right the company is folding up, don't know what you are going to do for future support.

Not to mention it runs sweetly on Windows 7.

Scrolling a page is a snap, with either a touch, or a footpedal.

The graphics, being a PC, are in greater resolution than the MPP, and are far easier to read. I can run USB midi interfaces, and firewire audio interfaces......I can even play solitaire in the breaks.

MP3 files and MIDI files can be embedded into chart files and can be set to start as soon as the chart loads, so the entire nigth can be run from the tablet and Music Reader.

No, MPP used to be the best, its a distant second or third now.

Dennis

Dennis, definitely some food for thought. I was unaware of what Music Reader software is capable of. With the wave of new tablets on the horizon, I think Freehand is in trouble. My only reservation at this point is that I have so many hours of sheets converted for the MPP, that it would involve many many hours to convert to a new format?

Can Music reader easily use PDF files?

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/03/10 04:57 PM

Stephen, it can do better than that, it can also convert ALL your MPP charts too

The only ones it cannot convert are those actually bought from the Freehand shop, as it hs protection software embedded.

It can also batch convert PDF files as well.

Dennis

Just edited to add this, but I wanted to chekc first, it can now alos batch convert your .FH (MPP) files

This is a paste from the forum from Marco (the designer)
In the newest beta batch conversion of FH files is available and works the same as for PDF files.
The beta can be downloaded from:
downloads.musicreader.net/musicreader-325beta.exe

Best regards,
Marco Leoné
Leoné MusicReader B.V

And the BIG news is Marco is releasing a beta version of Music Reader for the iPad very soon.
http://www.musicreader.net/index.php?target=news&mode=details&news_id=41

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 04-03-2010).]
Posted by: saxxman

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/03/10 06:12 PM

Congrats to all who are thinking of getting the Ipad - just saw it on TV. Wow - impressive little box! The only problem I had with the little demo I saw on TV was that there is apparently no USB connector.

There's so much neat stuff out there.... I am getting ready to get a Zoom H4n I believe... still evaluating.

Have fun and I'll be anxious to read the reviews when you all get your hands on the IPad....

Happy Easter to all!

Randy
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/03/10 07:20 PM

Randy ... I can tell you from experience, the H4n is a very handy and very GOOD little device ...

As for the iPAD, I admit that I am not a techno junkie, but I saw on tv this AM that 400 - 500 people were waiting in line for the store to open to but one of these things ... I though the economy was bad ?!? ... and no doubt, many of those 4-500 would tell me that they don't have money for health insurance because it costs too much ... sheeeesh!!! ...
so many toys, so little time .... and MONEY!!! ...
t.
Posted by: cassp

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/03/10 07:39 PM

I just got my new Dell laptop with Windows 7, Intel Core i3 and who knows what else. It runs like the wind.

This has nothing to do with the topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread just to make this statement. I LOVE getting new stuff!

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/03/10 08:41 PM

Congrats Cass on your new PC.......did you take any interest in getting a new MAC unit while you were shopping around for a computer? Especially for music needs.
Many of my friends have switched and seem to like them very much.
Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/04/10 07:02 AM

The pad has many good points. People who have had them have noted the following shortcomings as pointed out in a recent newspaper column.

As noted in a prior post, I would wait for a later version.

"Many companies have tried to sell tablet computers before, but none has caught on with mainstream consumers. And while those who pre-ordered an iPad in recent weeks have gushed about all the ways they hope to use it, skeptics point to all the ways the iPad comes up short.

They argue that the on-screen keyboard is hard to use and complain that it lacks a camera and ports for media storage cards and USB devices such as printers. They also bemoan the fact that the iPad can't play Flash video, which means many Web sites with embedded video clips will look broken to Web surfers using Apple's Safari browser.

And the iPad can't run more than one program at a time, which even fans hope will change one day soon."

Jerryghr
Posted by: hellboy44

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/04/10 04:44 PM

Actually the more I see it, the more I like it.

Apparently early Reviewers have noted that the longer you use the iPad, the more you realise what a gap in the market there was between small mobile computing devices (Smart phones/PDAs) and Notebooks/Laptops.

I think it's important to note that this product IS meant to lie in that Gap. It's not a fulltime replacement for your Laptop/Desktop, but it's much more capable than your phone due to it's size, greater Processing Speed, and in the future we'll find custom iPad apps taking full advantage of the Unit.

Lastly, not to be (too) picky, but the iPad and the iPhone ARE quite capable of Multitasking, and indeed they DO both multitask already - just not 3rd party Apps.

The release of OS 4 will most likely change all that.

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/04/10 04:59 PM

And don't forget Hellboy, that the Music Reader software is already at beta stage for release that operates on the iPad later mid April.

Makes it a pretty good package for gigging musos.

D

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/04/10 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
Actually the more I see it, the more I like it.

The ipad as it turns out imho is a fantastic device. It's all in your expectations. My purchase of the iPad was not a substitute for a laptop, net book or a computer. For me and my wife it was a replacement for our Kindle 2 e-readers.

Some thoughts about the iPad:

Books can be downloaded from the iBook store from Apple, from Barnes & Noble, from project Gutenberg from Amazon.( all our previously purchased books for the Kindle can be moved to the iPad. Moving from Kindle2 to iPad is similar to moving from a 19 inch black and white CRT Tv of yesteryear to 32 inch HD Tv.

The screen is gorgeous. Apple’s best-in-the-business It has a multitouch capacitive top layer with a great backlit LED display. It's very responsive. Among other things it can double as a digital photo frame. The slide shows that are easy to create with background music easily added from your iTunes library.

The processor flies along nicely, you have to try one yourself to really get the user experience. Some reviewers say it's just a large iPhone without the phone capability. Yes, it mimics what's on the iPhone but does it in a bigger and better way. I have an iPhone and after using the Ipad then picking up the iPhone, I thought this is in a different class even though it does many of the same functions.

Some of the cons, although not heavy at 1.5 pounds it's a bit more work to hold than the Kindle. Yea, first gen alright, but the iPhone is on version 3gs that same technology is used in the iPad. Bottom line it's a great way to consume content, but not a replacement for a computer.

Dennis, thanks for the tip on Music Reader program, this device could be even more than I signed on for.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 04-04-2010).]

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/04/10 07:11 PM

Steve congrats & enjoy it!
Posted by: Taike

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/04/10 07:22 PM

Local (Taiwan) part makers to benefit from expected sales:

Wintek Corp.: makes touch panels

Hon Hai, contract manufacturer for the iPad, may ship out 4.81 million units this year

Novatek Microelectronics Corp.: makes driver ICs

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/04/10 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:

Dennis, thanks for the tip on Music Reader program, this device could be even more than I signed on for.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 04-04-2010).]

Yvw Stephen.

The only drawbacks I can think of (and they are pretty big, imo) is there is no way to transmit midi, as you cannot set up an interface, and audio. For using with backing tracks it would mean an extra bit of gear to handle that, so I am still in favour of the touchscreen tablet I think.

And the Dell XT2 is a full 12" and is only about 1cm think when folded. Its about the size of an A4 page.

Dennis
Posted by: ocomain

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/04/10 09:39 PM

Dennis,

Not true! Check this out (for MIDI):
http://line6.com/midimobilizer/

And Sonoma Wireworks has an 8 track multitrack for iPad:
http://sonomawireworks.com/iphone/studiotrack/ as well as offering the ability to paste & copy audio into other applications:
http://www.sonomawireworks.com/iphone/partners/

This kind of capability will really open up the usefulness of the iPad for musical & audio purposes!

Michael

[This message has been edited by ocomain (edited 04-04-2010).]

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/04/10 10:14 PM

Terrific find Michael...Thanks for the heads up...Maybe the iPad is back on the list

D

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/04/10 10:30 PM

Dennis,

Now what I'm looking for (or maybe need to create) is an app that will fully utilize Soundfonts. They would be ideal for the iPad because they use a lot less space than other sample formats. Digital Sound Factory offers the full complement of the E-Mu & Ensoniq sound libraries & their offerings are high quality & cover the whole gamut of instruments from all over the world. Last night I even signed up with Apple's developer program for the iPad just to investigate what it would entail to develop a Soundfont application. What the heck!

Michael

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/04/10 11:22 PM

Sounds like it might be useful Michael, I would appreciate knowing how you get on.

I don't use soundfonts myself, preferring to use hardware modules, but it would still be handy to know

D

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/05/10 10:51 AM

Also just found out about a current recording app that will be released for the iPad on April 20th. It's called "Multitrack" & offers 16 stereo tracks of CD quality sound:
http://www.harmonicdog.com/

Another application that will be released within a couple of days is 'Monle":

"Monle is a four track, non-linear audio editor for the iPhone and iPod touch. You can record new audio, import prerecorded audio, cut it up, rearrange it, add fades, set volumes, zoom in and out, mix everything down, share audio with other applications, and send the audio wherever you want.

Monle works with all external microphones, both those that plug into the headphone/microphone jack and those that plug into the 30-pin data connector. iPhone users can also record with the iPhone’s internal microphone. Monle records WAVE files with sample rates from 8kHz to 44.1kHz, stereo or mono, in 16-bit. All file formats can be simultaneously mixed and edited together.

With Monle, you can manage recordings, rename and delete audio files, create, save, and open editing sessions, zip and backup sessions, upload and download WAVE files by FTP and local WiFi, and share audio via AudioCopy/AudioPaste."

Now we just need a new 30 pin audio interface to combine high quality audio & MIDI together into & out of the iPad!

Michael

[This message has been edited by ocomain (edited 04-05-2010).]
Posted by: Tom Cavanaugh

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/06/10 07:06 AM

For those days where you aren't playing much you can use the iPad Light.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Cavanaugh (edited 04-06-2010).]
Posted by: PraiseTheLord

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/08/10 02:53 PM

Hi Stephen, as usual you and I are on the same wave length. My iPad arrived on Saturday.
As you say the screen is awesome. Photos look great, it's really the way to go for photos, that you can take with you wherever you go. Surfing the web is awesome, email is now feasible which it never was on the ipod, , and the 3 Apple office suite apps are really good and inexpensive.
I am really interested in the MusicReader app, and will probably go that route just to try it out, but the smaller size screen and no foot pedal are real issues, potentially, for me.

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/08/10 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
Hi Stephen, as usual you and I are on the same wave length. My iPad arrived on Saturday.
As you say the screen is awesome. Photos look great, it's really the way to go for photos, that you can take with you wherever you go. Surfing the web is awesome, email is now feasible which it never was on the ipod, , and the 3 Apple office suite apps are really good and inexpensive.
I am really interested in the MusicReader app, and will probably go that route just to try it out, but the smaller size screen and no foot pedal are real issues, potentially, for me.

Graham Congratulations on the iPad. Ditto to your comments. Keep me posted on how the Music Reader app works for you, I'll do the same.

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/09/10 07:36 PM

Hi salsaman

I just downloaded GoodReader for $0.99. You can set the iPad up as a network location on your PC, then copy (pdf) files over to the iPad and read them using GoodReader. Quality is excellent.

No foot pedal and relatively small size of the iPad makes it hard to use sheet music in a live situation; I hope Music Reader has some kind of half page turn option. But if you wanted to read pdf files, e.g. manuals it's a piece of cake!

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 04/15/10 03:54 PM

Just checked the App Store and in fact there are several pdf readers.
Posted by: jimlaing

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 07/09/10 12:05 PM

I was skeptical about the iPad for music - then I saw one. I thought the screen would be too small compared to my Music Pad Pro. However- the screen is so crisp, clear and bright, that I like it better than my MPP. I brought out into the sun - and I could still read the music!

So I got one. The app I use is called "unreal Book" - it's a great app - made for musicians! Has simple Set List creation ability, search for song titles, features for big PDFs that have lots of pages (easy to navigate) etc. Does exactly what I need.

Not sure if my more serious "dense" music (like 3-staff organ music or dense-note piano music) will hold up to the 9.7" screen, but my fake sheets, chord charts, and lead sheets (lyrics + chords) work perfectly and are very readable, and easy to navigate using unreal Book...

Jim Laing
Tyros 3

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 07/09/10 02:05 PM

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/unrealbook/id370135173?mt=8
Posted by: TedS

Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard. - 07/09/10 06:21 PM

Probably a dumb question, but is there a foot pedal to turn the pages? Can they be advanced wirelessly? -Ted