SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#284404 - 04/02/10 05:32 AM Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
Dnj Offline

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

The new iPAD will be released tomorrow how would you integrate it with your music playing...?....use it for sheet music, charts, Mp3's etc, etc,? Times are changing fast...hop on-board the HI-TECH train....Woohoo!!

#284405 - 04/02/10 09:21 AM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
Morten Jonassen Offline

Loc: Danmark
It looks interesting indeed and I have thought about using it for all my sheet music, thus completely getting rid of my big music ring binder. The price also seems to be fair. However the big question is if the tiny 9.7 inch screen is big enough to display sheet music in a reasonable size?
It will be a while before the iPad becomes available in Denmark, until then I’m looking forward to some much-appreciated input from you guys across the pond.

#284406 - 04/02/10 09:56 AM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Got the world last night to open a new section at KORG Forums.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=58

Who knows whatelse KORG are working on for it.

Regards
James

#284408 - 04/02/10 10:47 AM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
My iPad should be delivered tomorrow. I had no intention of buying one. But.............I was using a Kindle for reading material. I'm not an avid reader, but like having the conveninece of an electronic reader. I decided that based on kindle pricing and the iPad, it was worth the price as an upgrade. I sold my Kindle on Craiglist in a few hours of posting it there and got what I consider a very fair price.

I hope to experiment with pdf fake sheets on the iPad, they work that will be a bonus, if they don't that's fine, I didn't buy it for it's ability to display sheet music. If the pdf function works out then it will do triple duty, lead sheets, mp3s and my main intention is to use it as an e-book reader. It should also come in handy for viewing my electronic magazine subscriptions. I recently stopped paper subscriptions since they tend to pile up and only collect dust. I'm using an app known as Zinio ( on the PC or Mac) for the subscriptions, it's great. Monthly subscription notifications come via e-mail. The one screen viewing works well and has the ability to print all or any of the articles you'd want hard copies of.

Yea, I know first gen has a lot to be desired. There's a very interesting in depth video on Mac Break Weekly with Andy Ihnatko the tech writer at the Chicago Sun Times and Alex Lindsay another Apple geek. If you have any interest in the iPad I recommend watching this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty6Hjs0NpDs

#284409 - 04/02/10 11:21 AM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Basically, in the Mac world, you are usually best to wait until the second or third generation product. Of course, many people will jump in and try the first gen, but it is widely accepted they rarely get it completely right the first time out of the gate.

For one thing, no camera, video or otherwise. You haul that around and you STILL need a camera too?

But for me, the primary reason to not jump on the iPad yet is, just like the iPhone, it's going to take a while before the developers, especially for the more specialized area of music use, come out with those 'must have' apps for it. It's likely you might be able to shoehorn a PDF reader out of it, but I'm sure we are all hoping that it can be made to be much more like a MusicPad Pro, with all the hands free page turning, synced MP3 and MIDI playback, optional and conditional repeat sections, etc. that we are actually going to need.

Just like the iPhone, the 3rd gen 3G version is the one everybody WANTS... Try to remember how few music apps there were for iPhone when the 1st gen cam out originally. Now look at what it has...

#284410 - 04/02/10 11:36 AM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
salsaman Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA., USA
I had a lengthy discussion with Apple's online chat concerning the iPad. The service tech was very careful about what he said and didn't say concerning the capabilities of the iPad.

My first question was, is the iPad's memory upgradable? The answer I got was NO. The memory is not accessable on the iPad. What, on a revolutionary new machine, they solder in memory to the motherboard. That seems rather impractical in this day and age.

As far as us using .pdf files for reading our sheetmusic on the iPad, I asked how easy it was going to be to transfer .pdf files directly to the iPad. The answer there was there was no application on the iPad to read .pdf files. PDF files could only be read via email. You mean I have to transfer all my music .pdf files via sending it thru my email. That doesn't sound very convient either.

I think I'm going to wait awhile before I go for an iPad. I think the iPad has great potential for us musicians and dealing with issues of our sheetmusic. I think there will be other sources of iPad killers in the near future that are not so propriatary in dealing with .pdf files.

#284411 - 04/02/10 12:41 PM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Got the world last night to open a new section at KORG Forums.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=58

Who knows whatelse KORG are working on for it.

Regards
James

Looks good James, thanks for the heads up. I have to admit the iPad looks interesting, I am nto sure if it would be useful enough to replace my tablet touch screen using Music Reader, but maybe.

It sure is a funky bit of gear

Dennis

#284412 - 04/02/10 06:06 PM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
We've been using an HP Tx 2 Touchsmart Tablet for some time, and even with it's Display measuring in at 12.1 inches, we STILL have problems reading it at times - with complex or long songs needing to be scrolled and zoomed.

I must say, the Tablet IS shared between us (two people) so for a solo artist, I don't think there would be a problem, but my point is, the iPad's screen is 9.7 inches or so - thus too impractical for us.

Pity, as I'm a sucker for Apple Products in general, and if you took away my iPhone, my life would fall apart - lol

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#284413 - 04/03/10 07:24 AM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Music Reader for iPad April 12th with limitations

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 04-03-2010).]

#284414 - 04/03/10 07:37 AM Re: Using the NEW iPAD with your arranger keyboard.
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online