Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#283029 - 03/12/10 06:51 PM Re: TOTL Arranger Prices
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
If you spend so much money on a Yamaha arranger don't you want the best sound available. I know I will and many with me.

I agree...that's why I chose the S910 for my own keyboard.

If the Korg synths I played are any indication of what their arrangers sound like, then I've made the right decision for me.

I can't for the life of me, find a Korg arranger to try...not one of the many dealers I visit carry them....maybe I'd like them...maybe not.

But, the sound I want to hear coming out of my speakers, is the sound of the S910, or the Tyros3...are they better than the Korg?

To me they are...and that's who I have to please.

You can play whatever suits you...if it ain't Yamaha, it's hardly a problem of mine...it's just a matter of what you like to hear.

Pretty simple, eh?

Ian

#283030 - 03/12/10 06:58 PM Re: TOTL Arranger Prices
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Yes there you are right. The most important is that you like what you hear and play. What kind of Korg synths do you play?

#283031 - 03/12/10 06:59 PM Re: TOTL Arranger Prices
Tonewheeldude Offline

have a read of this sent to me by Steve Turner who now uses an Audya:

"All of the backing tracks and arrangements to my songs and compositions have been initially prepared using Solton or Ketron Keyboards!
Of these, the most successful songs include:-
I) THE 2002 Official Commonwealth Games Song (Manchester) - DO IT the Mancunian Way' - www.mancunianway.com ;
II)The Official Song for the International Nile Festival, CAIRO EGYPT IN 2008, performed in the presence of the First Lady, Mrs Suzanne Mubarak, and broadcast on Egyptian National TV and surrounding African countries - where i was also a Board of Jury Member - www.inf-egypt.com ;
III) A re-write of the Egyptian song called 'The Belarusian Way' which I performed as one of the Guest Performers in Belarus last year during the ‘International Festival of Arts - Slavianski Bazaar in Vitebsk', 2009; -where i was also a Board of Jury Member - www.festival.vitebsk..by/en/index.html
IV) All of the songs from my stage musical project 'Tie Break', a musical set in the tennis world! www.tennismusical.com

Many of my songs have won and/or have been placed in many International Song Contests and Composing Competitions."

so would you say this guy uses professional gear?

oh and i posted this in another thread (these are not Steves):

http://www.hammond-organ.com/downloads/1.mp3
http://www.hammond-organ.com/downloads/2.wav
http://www.hammond-organ.com/downloads/3.wav
http://www.hammond-organ.com/downloads/4.wav
http://www.hammond-organ.com/downloads/5.wav

#283032 - 03/12/10 07:06 PM Re: TOTL Arranger Prices
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:
and oh so open minded too

I prefer to think of my position as being focused.

I'd be more than glad to see the other side...if there was one.

I've already agreed they overlap...but, that's as far as I go.

Nobody has adequately explained why a "pro" instrument has a single finger chord function...you'd think, just for the sake of pride, the manufacturer would have taken it off...but, no, it remains, and so does the "home" keyboard connection.

Ian

#283033 - 03/12/10 07:09 PM Re: TOTL Arranger Prices
Tonewheeldude Offline

what do you think of those samples Ian?

because to me the proof of the pudding is in the eating not on the labels.

By the way I do agree with you wholeheartedly that some of the arrangers are home keyboards that are used professionally...but I don't agree that all arrangers are.

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 03-12-2010).]

#283034 - 03/12/10 07:15 PM Re: TOTL Arranger Prices
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
That's fine guys...I don't mind being ganged up on...especially when I'm right.

Big glaring and unavoidably unprofessional feature....Single finger chord...the hallmark of a home keyboard.

Only way you CAN be right is for one finger chord WS's to be home keyboards, too. Nobody's ganging up on you. Paranoia, must be the cold weather... You are simply wrong until you find a definition for home keyboard that DOESN'T include WS's too (or just go ahead and call THEM 'home' keyboards as well). It's your own logic, Ian...

Quote:

Why have it, if these arranger instruments are meant for pros first and home second...are some pros unable to form chords?

Apparently... you forget that many pros are singers first, and keyboard players second (and the entire hiphop loop triggering generation of VERY 'pro' and wealthy producers that trigger loops with just the one finger)...

Quote:
Even with three of you, you haven't even made a dent in my premise...not even a tiny little scrape.

When the arranger is made without single finger easy play chords, and factory one touch settings, then I'll agree it is made for pros...but not until.

If you continue to disregard every point, stick your fingers in your ears and go 'La-la-la-la-la!' until we stop proving you wrong (come to think of it, was Frans' emoticon a portrait of you? ), you have every right to think yourself correct. Problem comes when you actually ADDRESS any of our points. Which, so far, you haven't.

YOUR definition of 'home' keyboard includes WS's and just about every keyboard on the planet. Until you finally acknowledge that FACT, and come up with a better definition, you have completely missed the mark. And no amount of self-righteous delusion can change that simple problem.

If you can't define 'commuter car' well enough that it excludes the Ferrari Enzo, you haven't come up with a good enough definition. Plain and simple. Or perhaps, if Canada won ONE gold medal in Vancouver, that means they won the entire thing? Canadian Logic...

Take REAL logic, and filter through an endless winter, and too much maple syrup and bacon stuffed in your ears, and it all suddenly makes sense (like curling!)

#283035 - 03/12/10 07:21 PM Re: TOTL Arranger Prices
Tonewheeldude Offline

lol iki above

if we are doing links then we could say arrangers are from home organs, all of which came from the Hammond Cinderella; based on the A, B and E type; that were designed as a low cost replacement for a pipe organ.

Oh dear we are all just Chappel Organists!

TWD

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 03-12-2010).]

#283036 - 03/12/10 07:22 PM Re: TOTL Arranger Prices
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:

so would you say this guy uses professional gear?

If the Audya has a single finger chord feature, it is essentially a "home" keyboard, with workstation enhancements.

I'm not saying that someone can't do a professional recording with an arranger...I've done a lot myself...I'm not arguing that it can rival a workstation...I think it's actually more useful, at least for my needs.

What I'm saying, is when you have single finger chording on an instrument, it smacks of "home keyboard"...that's all.

I love arrangers...I don't really care if someone thinks it's a "home keyboard"...I laugh all the way to the bank.

Just because a workstation has arps, doesn't make it an arranger...my Roland Jupiter 8 has an arpeggiator, and it ain't a workstation or an arranger.

Yes the line blurs somewhat...but as long as they keep putting a clearly "home" feature on an arranger (i.e. single finger chords), I'm going to regard it as such.

We'll just have to agree to disagree...otherwise it'll be just like the Mac vs PC debate(PC's are better )...there'll be no clear winner.

Ian

#283037 - 03/12/10 07:24 PM Re: TOTL Arranger Prices
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
We'll just have to agree to disagree...otherwise it'll be just like the Mac vs PC debate(PC's are better )...there'll be no clear winner.

Ian

but where would be the fun in that ?

so did you listen to those puddings...I mean samples?

#283038 - 03/12/10 07:42 PM Re: TOTL Arranger Prices
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
YOUR definition of 'home' keyboard includes WS's and just about every keyboard on the planet.

My definition of "home keyboard" is not what you are saying.

I said an arranger with single finger chording is a home keyboard....not "every" keyboard.

Your G-70, because it has single fingered chording, is considered a home keyboard...they are sold in stores that carry home keyboards...not pro shops.

Ian

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online