Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#282641 - 03/12/10 11:06 AM Re: Ketron Audya My Slant
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:
But I still don't get what it is you think the USA would need that is different from the rest of the world?

The USA would need more accordion players. I'm not trying to be funny.

#282642 - 03/12/10 02:31 PM Re: Ketron Audya My Slant
Tonewheeldude Offline

not sure I get you? so do you mean an arranger for the US should be more suitable for an accordian player?

#282643 - 03/12/10 02:33 PM Re: Ketron Audya My Slant
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Ever even SEEN a DJX, TWD?

You buy enough of our contemporary music over there in the UK, TWD. How much of it can you perform on YOUR arranger? Without sounding like bad karaoke?

Arrangers, on the whole, concentrate on styles and sounds for the over forty (over fifty, to be honest!), and the majority of keyboard customers are younger than that (other than for arrangers, pianos and organs). If they made a keyboard that combined the best of arrangers' live ease of use with the best of WS sounds and groove patterns, like the DJX did (at its' price point), it would sell as well as the DJX did.

Imagine an arranger at the S910 price point, but ENTIRELY dedicated to modern pop, hiphop, rap, modern techno (not the dated stuff in your and my arranger), alternative rock, basically any style you hear on the charts NOW, but with none of the complexity and OS unfriendliness of modern WS's... (and it could have all the legacy styles added later)

You honestly think that wouldn't sell like hotcakes over here? To be honest, I think it would sell like hotcakes over THERE, too...

#282644 - 03/12/10 02:34 PM Re: Ketron Audya My Slant
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
The USA would need more accordion players. I'm not trying to be funny.

But you are succeeding!

#282645 - 03/12/10 02:35 PM Re: Ketron Audya My Slant
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Dare I say it?? I agree with Diki!!! Back in the '70's they laughed at the the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic .... are they laughing now?? My point ... if you make an arranger KB that is "Style" wise USA and promote it ... maybe ... just maybe interest will change!!! What's the investment?? Hire some "USA" musician arrangers to develope styles?? Korg and Yamaha can do that and would not cost them a fortune! In fact it would be fly s**t!! Call it the USA version PA2x or Tyros. Diki has talked about this many times and I believe it would increase sales. The "stigma" the arranger has in this country (USA)is because it is "Uncool" like the accordion. Like the Toyota was!! If you can convince people to buy "Bottled" water you can sell arranger KB's!!!

[This message has been edited by JCkeeys (edited 03-12-2010).]

#282646 - 03/12/10 03:58 PM Re: Ketron Audya My Slant
Diki Offline

Got to disagree with you a BIT on that post...

Accordions in the US are NOT uncool everywhere. Zydeco is hip, hot, and happening. Tejunto is VERY cool. Accordions have been used in rock pop and folk-rock very effectively (think the Bruce's Springsteen and Hornsby). Check out bands like Polkacide, death metal accordion music , and many other cool things. Just because YOU associate them with Lady of Spain and polka music (mind you, I bet there's plenty up in Wisconsin that thing polka cool!) doesn't mean they ain't cool SOMEWHERE...

And arrangers aren't uncool either... They are just a tool to make music with. The styles and the sounds are uncool, but there's nothing WRONG with the idea of an arranger. Just its' execution at the hands of the manufacturers (in more ways than one!)...

Come to think of it, maybe I'm coming round to Dan01's idea... Could be we DO need more accordions over here

#282647 - 03/12/10 05:22 PM Re: Ketron Audya My Slant
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Diki I am an old Accordion player!! I love Accordions! But in the part of the country (USA) I'm in they are "Uncool"!! I agree there are places in the USA that Accordions are popular but I think we were talking in "General" terms and the reason Arranger KB's don't sell here like in Europe??? Frankieve lives in the general area I do and what he says is true. I travel quite a bit and have never come across an arranger player in a lounge! Granted ... this is a BIG country and tastes vary. I believe you live in northern Fla. well ... that is certainly a different culture than Long Island and southern Connecticut. I think that is the issue here many times when discussions start on varies topics. One size does NOT fit all!!

PS I do not think of the Accordion as "Lady Of Spain" (although I did play that on the Accordion) but I think many people do!

[This message has been edited by JCkeeys (edited 03-12-2010).]

#282648 - 03/12/10 05:23 PM Re: Ketron Audya My Slant
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Ever even SEEN a DJX, TWD?

I understand what your saying and I agree.

Although I was working for Yamaha's service department when the DJX was first released over here and as far as i could tell they were only ever viewed as a novelty item even though they sold container loads to school boys at christmas. You can pick them up for a few pounds on ebay now.

You are 100% right though, arrangers will never be taken seriously here or in the USA as long as you can find a glen miller category that sets the keyboard up to sound like a 1940 dance band. Problem is, here at least thats where the money is - the ex organist.

I would have thought the USA would want the same as me. A keyboard that utilizes real Audio ability that can be managed in real time along with top quality instruments. I am not interested in general midi files (unless they are used to control lighting or live audio) and definately don't want thousands of presets that set an instrument up to sound like a song from the 50s, 60s or 80s. I just can't get into an arranger that does the theatre organ sound..and does it well!!

over here, with the exception of Ketron and Korg its not the over 40s that buy most of the arrangers as you say...its the over 60s. and they buy alot of them. Particuarly Tyros.

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 03-12-2010).]

#282649 - 03/12/10 06:03 PM Re: Ketron Audya My Slant
Diki Offline

Arrangers will NEVER get popular again UNTIL the manufacturers decide to make them so. No kid is going to buy one in the HOPE that it might suddenly become cool to play bossa novas again!

It's entirely in their hands, and I am afraid to say that not ONE of them (unless you count MS, which hardly qualifies as an arranger) is looking any further ahead than today. Either someone goes out on a limb and makes it, or the death of the arranger will come with the death of the last, oldest current arranger player (or their NH customer!). They either grow the brand NOW, or it's game over...

And Dan01... well, I'm an old(ish! ) accordion player myself, and all I can say to you is, play a set of rockin' zydeco up in Connecticut or Rhode Island, and watch the dance floor pack! Top zydeco artists like CJ Chenier and Chubby Carrier tour nationally to packed houses and festivals, it's not just a Louisiana thang...

Or a John Mellencamp tune or two... accordion is hipper than you think. I have turned up and jammed with dozens, if not hundreds of bands in my day on an accordion, and it never does anything but get a smile from band and audience alike...

Been thinking of picking up a Roland FR-1 baby V-Accordion to go jam with, as I've blown out a couple of semi-decent real 120 bass accordions trying to keep up with rock band volumes! Anyone played one of those, yet? Not the big one, the baby one (12 lbs )...

#282650 - 03/12/10 06:38 PM Re: Ketron Audya My Slant
Tonewheeldude Offline

there is one manufacturer that is trying.

don't bother listening unless you have studio monitors or professional quality headphones.

and then say honestly if that sounds like an arranger.

http://www.hammond-organ.com/downloads/1.mp3
http://www.hammond-organ.com/downloads/2.wav
http://www.hammond-organ.com/downloads/3.wav
http://www.hammond-organ.com/downloads/4.wav
http://www.hammond-organ.com/downloads/5.wav

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online