SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#282082 - 02/23/10 08:33 PM What keyboard purchase most surprised you +/-
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'd have to say that the Roland DisCover5 was a very surprising purchase. It's features really gave me a big push, especially since I wasn't big into styles at the time. What it could do with SMFs, the vocal harmonizer and Cover orchestrator were much more than I expected when I bought it. It was a very under-rated keyboard.

#282083 - 02/23/10 09:06 PM Re: What keyboard purchase most surprised you +/-
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
I have to say that I'm positively surprised by the Yammie S910. Since I never owned a Yamaha arranger, I figured it would be the best alternative to a T3. Initially, I really wasn't expecting much, but those SA and guitar voices are just incredible. Also, the dynamic and groove features in the style-rec menu are great.

Now, I just have to resist the temptation of buying a T3. We'll see how long it will take me. Heck, I am already getting tempted.

[This message has been edited by hitman (edited 02-23-2010).]

#282084 - 02/23/10 09:27 PM Re: What keyboard purchase most surprised you +/-
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The Roland E50 surprised me the most. I could easily play it from now until I retire and get the job done.
Also, the PSR2000. I planned to use it as an interim kb while waiting for something better, and ended up using it for almost two years, which is an eternity for me.
DonM

#282085 - 02/24/10 01:37 PM Re: What keyboard purchase most surprised you +/-
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
The PA50 and PA500 Musikant. Never owned a Korg arranger before and it opens a whole new world for me.

#282086 - 02/24/10 02:00 PM Re: What keyboard purchase most surprised you +/-
DannyUK Offline

The T3 has been the biggest surprise for me. When i was looking to upgrade recently from the PA1x I was always eyeing up the Audya.....!

I said I would never own a Yamaha again after the PSR8000 but I have eaten my words.

I felt I needed to change from Yamaha back then because with each board they released I didn't see enough of a significant jump to warrant the next upgrade and a lot of other keyboards at the time sounded more professional.

However,everything about the T3 is so much more superior than the PSR8000 whereas I couldn't say the same from owning the i30 to the PA1x I don't think the improvements are as superior as what Yamaha have done to their range.

But if Yamaha are guilty of anything and that is they release too many keyboards in a short space of time and this temps people to think they should change. Maybe if I owned a T2 I wouldn't have upgraded to a T3 say, just like when I saw the PA2xpro I didn't think it was that significantly better than the PA1x so I stopped there with Korg and went back to Yamaha.

So yeah, the Yamaha has certainly surprised me as I wasn't expecting it to be improved so much.

[This message has been edited by DannyUK (edited 02-24-2010).]

#282087 - 02/24/10 02:16 PM Re: What keyboard purchase most surprised you +/-
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I must say, my K2500 surprised me the most... I initially purchased it because I heard a top session guy from Nashville use it on a project I was involved in, and he used a sample set called Sounds of the 70's, which absolutely NAILED the sound of vintage Rhodes, Clav's, Wurli's, Vox's and Farfisa's (not to mention some great basses, a nice piano with tons of 'character', some useful perc, etc.) because all the instruments were recorded through vintage gear before being sampled (or often, a 'dry' sample on one side of the stereo and the instrument through a period amp on the other side, etc.). It was a revelation to hear the sounds sit in the mix without a damn thing having to be done to them!

But, after I got one, I was amazed at just how deep the synthesis section went (still my goto keyboard for hard edged industrial and techno) and how insanely deep the control and MIDI capabilities went. Any insanely whacked out idea I ever had for doing something, it turns out the K will do it. Want to change setups using a ribbon controller? K can do it! Want to modulate anything with anything, that is itself modulated by anything? K can do it. A true synth geek's dream come true!

Now there's hardly a project it doesn't appear on, even after nearly fifteen years. That's what I call value for money!

#282088 - 02/24/10 02:27 PM Re: What keyboard purchase most surprised you +/-
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
Since you mentioned Kurz, all my equipment is always for sale, except the K2661. God forbid something happened to it, I don't know what I would do. It was the best purchase I ever made.

#282089 - 02/24/10 02:38 PM Re: What keyboard purchase most surprised you +/-
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Kurz...K2600X.

If you want to do it...it's in there!

The sound is also superb in almost every aspect.

Wish to hell...they make an arranger!

Lee S.

#282090 - 02/24/10 02:42 PM Re: What keyboard purchase most surprised you +/-
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I just bought a K2661 left over from a batch my local music store had. It is brand new with full warranty for $ 1400. It is the best spent money I ever paid out.

#282091 - 02/24/10 03:37 PM Re: What keyboard purchase most surprised you +/-
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Most people are responding to PLEASANT suprises. But not all suprises are positive. I expected better sounds from my Fantom G7 but was suprised to find them about equal in quality to the SonicCell (still pretty good, I just expected more). Best pleasant suprise was the Nord C1. Closest (in sound) to a real B3 and Leslie with great playability (key feel and touch response).

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online