SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2817 - 10/25/06 06:46 AM Taking a break from music.
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Hi to everyone on the Synth Zone BBS. It’s been awhile , but I thought I would let everyone know, that I am going to be taking a hiatus, or break from synthesizers and electronic music, and explorer other areas of creativity. For far too long now, I have been obsessed with synthesizers, and electronic music, and it has really affected my creativity. So I put away my synthesizers, and music stand, which has freed up space in my office, plus my gear, has been sitting quietly unused. I want to explorer, other areas of interest, that are not synthesizer, or electronic music related. Obsession, is an ugly thing, and I need to control my synth obsession.

At this point in time, I don not know if, I will be getting back into synthesizers, and electronic music, but maybe in the future. This will be my last post on here for quite sometime, I have no idea, how long I will be gone, but rest assured, I will pop in form time to time. This is something I have to do, and I hope everyone can understand and respect, what I am doing.

Paul a.k.a. analogcontrolfreak

BTW: I relize I have posted this topic before. But this time, it's different.

#2818 - 10/25/06 12:01 PM Re: Taking a break from music.
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Paul...
I too will be taking a break, from this Forum for a while.
I'm heavily getting into my D3200, so my efforts are all geared towards learning all the ins & outs of this great unit.

I might drop by the BAR for a drink, if I happen to be passing by and see someone thru the window...

See ya in the funny papers.

Nigel...I'm not abandoning the Zone, I just need to get as much input and user feedback as possible, (I have a gazillion questions) so I'm gonna be over at http://www.studiotrax.net for a while.

Don't let anyone touch my beer...

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 10-25-2006).]

#2819 - 10/25/06 01:19 PM Re: Taking a break from music.
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by shboom:
[I might drop by the BAR for a drink, if I happen to be passing by and see someone thru the window...

Don't let anyone touch my beer...

[/B]

Don't worry we'll put in the fridge

#2820 - 10/26/06 07:56 AM Re: Taking a break from music.
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Paul,
Screw break. Just sell all of your keyboards man. I just sold a whole bunch and my studio seems a lot cleaner. I only kept synths that I like playing.

Since you are looking for other fun things in life may I suggest *Video games*. There's the Grand Theft auto series that you can probably get for $20.00 a title. There's the new Scarface game that costs a bit more but it will keep you occupied for a long time.

Seriously, best way to get rid of anxiety. A virtual world where you can walk around and do whatever you want. Blow up cars, burn people with flamethrowers and molotof coctails. It's cool.

Or get on-line and play World Of Warcraft. I'm a level 59 myself... Took a while...

So here you go. PLenty of advice on new hobbies for you.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-26-2006).]

#2821 - 10/26/06 01:23 PM Re: Taking a break from music.

Wow Ed! I did not expect a response like that? I thought you were going to tell me to, sitck with the music or something to that effect. That I should not sell my keyboards. Forgive me for being in shock! Thanks for the suggestions.

Some time in the future, I should just look for one good synthesizer, with plenty of knobs, that I can just mess arond with.

[This message has been edited by analogcontrolfreak (edited 10-26-2006).]

#2822 - 10/26/06 01:46 PM Re: Taking a break from music.
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Yeah. Something with lots and lots of knobs. Just to make noise. eventually you'll get bored of it too but who cares?

-ED-

#2823 - 10/26/06 01:48 PM Re: Taking a break from music.

I don't!

#2824 - 10/26/06 02:01 PM Re: Taking a break from music.
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands

#2825 - 10/26/06 02:02 PM Re: Taking a break from music.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Ever since I put away my keyboards, I have been able to think more clearly, and not obbsess over the fact, that I really can not play. I know this may seem strange, but I really feel good about myself. Been looking at other things on ebay, besides spending hours only looking at synthesizers and keyboards. Why should I bother, when I know I will never really use them. I am still toying around with the idea of a Synthesizers.com system. Nothing definet yet.

I did however buy and old and functional Edison Diamond disc floor standing modle, along with some diamond discs to go with it. Even started a small collection of 19th century books. I put all of my Contempoary books away, for the time being until I find a shelf for them. I am hoping to buy and Edison cylinder phonograph and a Victrola. It's really cool to have something that did not use electricity, but mechanics to play music. I don't play it that much, but it is fun to have and show off, to friends and family.

For the frist time in my adult life, I am really starting to felle better about myslef, and I may begining to accept myslef, for who I am as an individual.

[This message has been edited by analogcontrolfreak (edited 10-26-2006).]

#2826 - 11/02/06 03:24 PM Re: Taking a break from music.

Okay, I know I said I would not becomeing back on here for a while, I lied. One of my threads that I had posted, three years ago. Had received a reply sevral days ago, and I started to reply to it. I was surprised that someone had gone through the archives and found this one particular thread and resurected it. BTW: The thread in question is "Vintage Gear: Why is it, still popular to own?"

On a side note, I have not had any synth withdrwal symptoms. In fact I have not been obsseing about any synth, or not being able to play either.

#2827 - 11/06/06 02:57 PM Re: Taking a break from music.

Maybe I should start living up to my nickname. With a nickname like analogcontrolfreak you'd think I would have, either a lot of analog synths with knobs, or one big modular synth. Problem has been money. Trying to part with it is hard. Or trying to afford a synth, as in the Minimoog, but all I could afford was a T-shirt.

#2828 - 11/06/06 09:50 PM Re: Taking a break from music.
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
Since you are looking for other fun things in life may I suggest *Video games*. There's the Grand Theft auto series that you can probably get for $20.00 a title. There's the new Scarface game that costs a bit more but it will keep you occupied for a long time.
[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-26-2006).]

I guess I can't argue with that. In fact every day for me at work is full of that sort of virtual antisocial behaviour. I am on a game development team putting Saints Row http://saintsrow.com/ on the soon to be released Sony PS3. It picks up where Grand Theft Auto left off. It's already out on the Xbox 360 where you can join a gang and wage gang war on Xbox Live.

Lots of people at work spend much of their spare time playing World Of Warcraft. It really is an amazing online title.

I don't have a lot of time to play online games but I do like to spend an hour here and there playing my handheld Sony PSP.

#2829 - 11/07/06 02:33 AM Re: Taking a break from music.

I haven't played, video games in quite awhile. Last game I played was Black Hawk Striker 2 from Wild Tangent.com. I was doing pretty well, until I got down to, the second to last level, but kep getting wiped out. It's a really cool game, execpt every time you get shot down, you loose any weapons, that you have accumilated through out the levels of the games. Also when you start a new level, you have to gain weapons all over again. This really irratated me, to no end. Also I was getting frustrated that I could not beat, the last two bosses and finish the game. Also I was playing RISK II, but stoped after beating the computer a couple of times. Got old after awhile. Although there are other armies, and generals to battale in the game. You don't have to keep playing the same armies, and generals.

Right now, I have been spending quite a bit of time, on YouTube.com. Mostly watching old 80's music videos. Mainly becuse I grew up listening to, a lot of the music from that time period. I haven't really spent much time with my synths. I probbaly would, if they both had more knobs. That's the main reason why I don't like the Poly-61, and yeat I bought a thrid one? What was I thinking? I should have just stuck with the Poly-61 web site. Of course the omni, does not have knobs, but a few slidders, but I can't get rid of it. It was the frist vintage synth that I could afford. If I do, buy another synth, it will have knobs, and be something I really want. Not becsues the price was good.

#2830 - 11/19/06 08:08 AM Re: Taking a break from music.

UPDATE!

Well, so far so good. I have been more clear headed, and have not worried, about that fact, that I have to play a keyboard in order to justify owning one. Have not driven myself crazy either. It has however allowed me to pursue my other interests. Such has learing more about the Edison Diamond Disc Phongrphs and the Diamond Discs. Find a Diamond disc phonograph was one thing, but finding the discs is even more exciteing. I hope in the futrue to buy other antique Phonographs. For example, and edison cylender phonograph, as well as a Victrola. Also, I would love to have an antque cylndrical muisc box. Of cousre, I will need a bigger condo eventually.

However, I have not given up any synthesis, and finding a decent analog synth, but it's not a top priority.

PEACE!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online