SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#281640 - 02/19/10 07:49 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Nick G.

Your missing the point. Each new sound engine in a keyboard produces a very unique sound. That's why a PA2X sounds different from a Pa1X even though much of the same sample data has been included in both.

Where with a Yamaha, the engine is always the same. You just get a few new samples with each new model that is release.

It's like listening to the same radio for all your life and getting a new CD from time to time. The tune is different but the sound is the same.

Regards
James

#281641 - 02/19/10 08:03 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Hi Nick G.

Your missing the point. Each new sound engine in a keyboard produces a very unique sound. That's why a PA2X sounds different from a Pa1X even though much of the same sample data has been included in both.

Where with a Yamaha, the engine is always the same. You just get a few new samples with each new model that is release.

It's like listening to the same radio for all your life and getting a new CD from time to time. The tune is different but the sound is the same.

Regards
James

Incorrect - firstly its just your opnion whether it sounds the same or not.

The difference in sound from a PA2x as to a PA1x whether it is a new engine or not is EXACTLY the same as comparing a Tyros 1 and a Tyros 2.

The Tyros 2 had a COMPLETELY new noticable sound palette over the Tyros 1 - it was blatantly evident to anyone who played one.

Just becuase korg called the PA2x / PA 800 RX technology it doesnt make things any different.

#281642 - 02/19/10 08:45 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
Irishacts Offline

Ok..... I can see that you haven't got a clue as to what I'm talking about. My opinion has nothing to do with anything here. It's a measurable effect that's easily proven.

Lets resolve this with pure logic then. There are two parts to this and the first is a question, the second is an experiment.

First Part.......
Lets say I give two people the same wave file to play back in their keyboards. One owns a KORG and the other owned a Tyros 3. Which do you think will sound better if they are both using the EXACT same wave file.

A: The KORG with it's new ENGINE.
B: The YAMAHA with it's 20 year old ENGINE.
C: They will both sound the same.

Second Part.....
I'll tell you the second part based on your answer above.

Regards
James.

#281643 - 02/19/10 09:04 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Ok..... I can see that you haven't got a clue as to what I'm talking about. My opinion has nothing to do with anything here. It's a measurable effect that's easily proven.

Lets resolve this with pure logic then. There are two parts to this and the first is a question, the second is an experiment.

First Part.......
Lets say I give two people the same wave file to play back in their keyboards. One owns a KORG and the other owned a Tyros 3. Which do you think will sound better if they are both using the EXACT same wave file.

Second Part.....

Regards
James.

Your so called logic seems so simple. but in the real world you fail epically!

So are u actually going to admit that a Korg PA 800 with the RX technology (latest engine from korg) sounds better than a Yamaha Motif XS?

cos if all we are talking is 'Engines' then I can bring a synth into this disucssion for comparison.

The Motif XS uses AWM2 which apparently is 18 years + old according to your mate Frans but it doesnt actually sound 18 years old doesnt it?

what I am trying to explain to you and having extreme difficulty doing so is that whats written in black and white is never the outcome in real life.

#281644 - 02/19/10 10:05 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
Bachus Offline

Quote:

First Part.......

Second Part.....

Regards
James.

WE are missing one part in this discussion..

Its not only the engine that has influence on the sound, its also the soundhardware, where the actuall digital sample/sounds get translated intoo analogue waves.
To my beleives this is the reason why the OASYS sounds better then an M3, it has better D/A soundconversion.

Nevertheless i agree with you that Yamaha has been lazy and uninoveative, and thats something i'd never have expected from the people that created the VL1.
But then i also don't think the current AWM engines are the same as the AWM engine from 20 years ago, I really think they have upgraded their engine over the years and ue the AWM brand name more as a marketing tool then anything else.

So the part that you are really testing with your example is the processing (engine) but also the import/translation of a sample to the native sound data format (Data Compression methods used) But also the actuall A/D sound generation.

Personally i'd guess that i will like the KORG more but that might just be my personal flavor and taste of music. But this is something i would love someone to be do, it might add some measurable facts to these discussions.

But while being very important it will not tell which of the two keyboards sounds better as there is also the ballance between the onboard sounds and the quallity of the styles thats very important.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#281645 - 02/19/10 11:40 PM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
This discussion does not make sense. A newer sound engine does not mean that the sound it produces is better than an older sound engine. Surely all that matters is whether you like the sound each product produces ? Some like thne yamaha sound, some like the Korg sound and some like the roland sound.

If it was all about the latest sound engine then wouldnt everyone flock to whoever made the latest ? Thats clearly not true if what is being argued here is correct. The motif line is one of the most successful products sold to date.

Trust your ears .....nothing else.

#281646 - 02/20/10 01:28 AM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
DannyUK Offline

Hmm, this is getting a little out of my depths, however, if this is anything to go by, when I used to own a Korg I30 then upgraded to a PA80, I thought the I30 sounded better, especially the drums. Or maybe it was just me going crazy but I am sure the I30 sounded much richer and powerful than the PA80.

Danny.

#281647 - 02/20/10 02:48 AM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
Tonewheeldude Offline

only just listened to the two styles. the first one is so 'which floor sir?'

#281648 - 02/20/10 05:57 AM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
Irishacts Offline

Nick G

Quote:
Your so called logic seems so simple. but in the real world you fail epically!

I fail epically ?. Trying to insult me is just a measure of your intelligence not mine. You have already called me an insolent kid but yet your the one throwing around the insults and afraid to enter into a proper debate.

When you want to have a proper conversation you know where I am.

Cheers
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 02-20-2010).]

#281649 - 02/20/10 06:03 AM Re: Two more Premium Style demos
Irishacts Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DannyUK:
Hmm, this is getting a little out of my depths, however, if this is anything to go by, when I used to own a Korg I30 then upgraded to a PA80, I thought the I30 sounded better, especially the drums. Or maybe it was just me going crazy but I am sure the I30 sounded much richer and powerful than the PA80.

Danny.

Hi Danny.

That's part of the things I wanted to talk about and how the engine does make a huge difference to the sound. You preferred the i30 AL2 engine over Hi-SYS in this case.

Your not the first one to do that either. The KORG 01W was AL2 and many people have long since missed the warmth that engine gave over the newer engines.

Talking about warmth, it's universally accepted that the Trinity was the Fattest and warmest keyboard KORG every produced. The discussion about this is still going on over at KORG Forums all these years later.

Regards
James

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online