SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#281115 - 02/11/10 07:23 AM Re: Bracing for another winter storm OT
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes, it has covered my back yard, which is the golf course. They will be closing everything in this part of the state!
I have an appointment with the Cardiac doctor at 10:15 and Hank's funeral is at 2:00, so I'll be gone the rest of the day.
DonM

#281116 - 02/11/10 07:49 AM Re: Bracing for another winter storm OT
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
There is no snow on the ground right now in extreme S.E. New Mexico. There are just gray skies, some rain, and COLD. High today in low 40's again!
We have had 5 snow falls' on the ground for at least all day so far this winter. The lows here have been as low as 11 degrees and the highs as low as 25 degrees.
My only home is a Motor Home...32' x 8', outside demensions. Right now the electrical sytems in my RV are down. Two extension cords through windows supply electricity to my computer OR an electric heater, and to the TV OR another small electric heater.
I do have a propane heater and cook stove that are working.
As soon as the RV repair man is here in his RV from somewhere in east Texas, the electric circuitry in my RV will be repaired and I will be heading south to Big Bend country in TX which is probably analogous to "St Somewhere"...

Stay warm and happy! This too shall pass!

------------------

#281117 - 02/11/10 08:26 AM Re: Bracing for another winter storm OT
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Last night we were slammed with winds of 50 MPH, more snow, and the total for this storm alone was about 22 inches. This has been the coldest winter I can recall, and according to the local weather guys, we broke all records for total snow accumulation. The irony of this is that some idiot politician had the balls to stand in front of a TV camera and say this is proof that global warming exists. And, you know it must be the gospel truth--a politician said it was!

When the telephone rang this morning, the cheerful voice at the other end was Joe Ayala (Songman55) asking if I would consider going out on a job today. NOT A PRAYER. I was fully prepared to wolf down some egg beaters, a cup of hot coffee and head outside to tackle the snow in my 300-foot driveway and 160-foot sidewalk. Just as I was finishing breakfast, three high-school kids knocked on the front door. School was closed and they were out making some money by clearing sidewalks and driveways. The offered to do the job for $80 bucks, which is dirt cheap in this part of the world. I told them I needed some gas for my snow blower and they provided me with 2-1/2 gallons that carried for backup.

They did an outstanding job, worked their butts off, they were extremely polite and said if the snow plow plows in my driveway later today they would come back and clear it at no charge. My wife was so impressed with them that she handed them $150 when they finished.

It was really refreshing to see three 11th graders of this caliber, youngsters that were creative and hard-working.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#281118 - 02/11/10 03:08 PM Re: Bracing for another winter storm OT
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Great story Gary ... cost a couple of bucks but it saved your muscles AND your heart ...
We just don't see enterprising kids like that anymore ... and after earning almost twice what they were looking for, I bet you will see them again ... maybe you should give them DonM's address ... I don't think they have any snow removal equipment down there other than the month of July !!! ...
t.

#281119 - 02/11/10 06:58 PM Re: Bracing for another winter storm OT
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just remember those words when you get a record high this summer. Global warming doesn't mean EVERYBODY only gets warmer. It means wider climate swings. It means, for some parts of the world, that they will get colder. Or have bigger differences between summer and winter. And it is all happening too slowly that any one year is any indicator.

But, if you are looking to a politician's words for proof that it is wrong, you might look at the fact that, to be honest, most of the are saying that global warming does NOT exist...

You can't have it both ways.

#281120 - 02/11/10 09:30 PM Re: Bracing for another winter storm OT
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It is snowing BIG time here, and has been all day. Only thing, the temperature just now, at nearly midnight, dipped below freezing, so we will be covered tomorrow morning, and then it will immediately start melting.
It is supposed to snow five inches tonight. The last significant snow we had was New Year's Eve 2000!
I'm going to wake up my wife and have her go out and build me a snowman. Yeah, right!
DonM

#281121 - 02/11/10 10:20 PM Re: Bracing for another winter storm OT
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:

I'm going to wake up my wife and have her go out and build me a snowman. Yeah, right!
DonM

There you go...

#281122 - 02/11/10 10:56 PM Re: Bracing for another winter storm OT
Diki Offline

Damn Saints! I've got a Mardi Gras double outside tomorrow, forecast puts it at only 50º F tops 30º at night. Thank God at least the rain has stopped...

I know it's nothing like what you are going through, but even so... DAMN! It's going to get cold I bet none of you have OUTSIDE gigs in that!

#281123 - 02/11/10 11:08 PM Re: Bracing for another winter storm OT
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Just remember those words when you get a record high this summer. Global warming doesn't mean EVERYBODY only gets warmer. It means wider climate swings. It means, for some parts of the world, that they will get colder. Or have bigger differences between summer and winter. And it is all happening too slowly that any one year is any indicator.

But, if you are looking to a politician's words for proof that it is wrong, you might look at the fact that, to be honest, most of the are saying that global warming does NOT exist...

You can't have it both ways.

How can it be 'GLOBAL' warming if some countries are going to get colder ? thats a contradiction...

#281124 - 02/11/10 11:20 PM Re: Bracing for another winter storm OT
Diki Offline

You are asking ME? When there is a plethora of SCIENTIFIC information (not some politician's self serving interpretation of it) freely available on the web?

Just Google global warming, do your OWN research, listen to ALL the different opinions out there, try to come up with how you feel yourself. For myself, I don't think you can argue with the carbon dioxide figures. They are getting scary, and it looks (even from those here) that there is little will to do anything about it. As long as only our great grandchildren suffer the consequences, why should WE care?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online