!

[This message has been edited by Mystic Jammer (edited 02-13-2010).]
Software: Logic 9, Kore 2, NI-Komplete

#281307 - 02/12/10 05:00 PM Re: Sounds quality of arranger
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystic Jammer:

I don't want to start a little war......

Really? In any case, at this stage of your "keyboard journey", it might be more fruitful for you to be concentrating on learning to PLAY the keyboard rather than worrying about the (highly subjective) subtleties of which TOTL keyboard has the best sounds. They all sound lousy if you can't play, just as they all sound good if you can. Priorities, my man, priorities.

chas

#281308 - 02/12/10 06:32 PM Re: Sounds quality of arranger
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
I don't know if it's me or if it's real but i find the quality of the Korg m3 sounds superior to the one i had on my s910

Your talking about two completely different technologies, so it's no wonder. It's like very old VS very new.

The M3 is based on the almighty OASYS, and it's EDS sound engine is new and ultra deep. Its an evolution of AI1, AI2, Access, and Hi-Sys. So your talking about 5 different synth engines of evolution in total.

Where on the other hand you have a Yamaha S910 which uses AWM2. Yamaha have been milking that cow for 15 years or more and have not developed a new PCM based engine since.

My 2 cents.

James.

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 02-12-2010).]

#281309 - 02/12/10 06:56 PM Re: Sounds quality of arranger
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I think you can't compare a M3 with a PSR. You must compare a M3 with a Yamaha Motif XS or Roland Fantom. If you compare a Korg keyboard with a Yamaha keyboard then yes I agree that Korg just sound better. But this is also personal.

#281310 - 02/12/10 07:25 PM Re: Sounds quality of arranger
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For my part, I think a lot depends on what kind of music you prefer to do. Modern WS's excel at complex electronic sounds, etc., but their emphasis isn't always geared towards acoustic sounds. Many arrangers, IMO have some acoustic sounds that are FAR better than some of the top WS's. Your S910's SA sounds are hard to beat (if played well) by most WS's, even including the MoXS, which has a derivation of the SA spec originally invented FOR arranger players.

But heed chas carefully, in his advice. He has hit the nail on the head. From your demo, it's clear you have quite a way to go before the basic sound is going to matter very much...

Walk first, run later.

#281311 - 02/12/10 07:26 PM Re: Sounds quality of arranger
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas hit the nail on the head!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#281312 - 02/12/10 07:33 PM Re: Sounds quality of arranger
FransN Offline

In defence of MJ. You don't have to play well to hear the differences between keyboards and synths. And I mean the total sound not some SA solo sounds.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 02-12-2010).]

#281313 - 02/12/10 07:41 PM Re: Sounds quality of arranger
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
But you DO have to play well enough for people to look past your errors and appreciate the sound...

Few people, even musicians, can look past an awful performance and go 'that synth sounds great'.

Performance first, sound later. Use what you would have spent on the TOTL on lessons with a sympathetic understanding teacher, and your music grows by leaps and bounds. Spend it all on the best synth and continue to self educate, and your progress is a fraction of what it COULD be...

Just a thought.

#281314 - 02/12/10 07:57 PM Re: Sounds quality of arranger
FransN Offline

Yes there you are right. But what I actually mean is if you play the arranger by pressing a chord you will hear the difference between brand A and brand B. I don't want to go in details here but I go for the more live like sound.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 02-12-2010).]

#281315 - 02/12/10 08:11 PM Re: Sounds quality of arranger
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I found the "sound" of the M3 rather bland in both presentations by MJ and James.

Nothing bland about the patterns...they were very interesting and it seems there are lots of possibilities.

It would be even better to hear the instrument triggering some DNC voices, instead of basic GM sounds.

Any chance of hearing that?

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online