SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#280870 - 02/12/10 07:05 AM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Honestly, how much bother is it to have a couple of small monitors? Especially as they are likely to be MUCH better sounding than any internals? And easier to place where they won't feed back if you want plenty of vocals in the mix...

Bottom line is, it's easy to add a couple of monitors. But you can't add an extra 15 notes to your arranger when you feel like it. You DO play the piano, don't you? Personally, I CANNOT play pianistically on a 61. But a large percentage of all classical music and most rock and pop piano stylings can fit a 76.

I find it amazing what so many of us are willing to do, and what we are willing to lose, just to have two crappy speakers and a slightly lighter load-out

#280871 - 02/12/10 03:03 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Wow!! I didn't think there would be such "emotion" around this!! But then again who my kidding, this is the General Arranger Forum! .
There is no argument about the keybed but the crappy speakers??? I have a pair of Yamaha MSP monitors, they are terrific. From and overall what's better standpoint ... the PA2x and monitors would be the clear winner. But from a "ease of use" I think a KB with "Good" internal speakers is the way to go. Once again no situation fits everyone. Thatis why I asked for UD's input because he favors internal speakers and would not compromise quality. If he says he is completly satisfied with the "sound" than I am convinced.
Diki I am not a pianist but and old accordion player so the 76 keys do not make a big difference to me.

[This message has been edited by JCkeeys (edited 02-12-2010).]

#280872 - 02/12/10 07:16 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Diki Offline

I have yet to hear a set of built ins that aren't blown away by a quite inexpensive set of externals. Let's face it, if GOOD external speakers could be made as small and slim and shallow as arrangers' internals are, they would be selling them like hotcakes....

But yes, from an old accordion background myself (learned it slightly before I got into piano), I can see where you are coming from. But, OTOH, haven't you ever thought 'wouldn't it be nice to try and LEARN the piano' in addition to the accordion? Not a problem with the 76...

#280873 - 02/12/10 07:46 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
JCkeeys Offline

Diki at 58 yrs old learnin' ain't that easy!!
I am very happy in "arranger" world (61 or 76 keys)! I love the challenge of learning new material and being the best that I can be. Singing is what I enjoy the most.

#280874 - 02/12/10 08:02 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Diki Offline

Coming up on 54 in a few weeks. Still want to learn something new, if I can. Been messing around with the flute, lately. Not good, yet, but it's FUN..! Just got a PS3 and got a bit into gaming (mostly race driving with a motorized wheel) this year. Finally got back to cooking to entertain after abandoning that for nearly ten years after my wife's passing... Feels like I'm starting from scratch all over again. Thinking of starting a comedy musical team with another Brit expat muso down here. Never done that before!

It's not really about how GOOD you get, it's about the process of trying keeps you tested and fresh, IMO.

Maybe I'll feel different in four years' time, but I doubt it. Don't sell yourself short, JC...

#280875 - 02/12/10 08:11 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
You are a busy man Diki. I have a Xbox 360 and shoot the hell out of people. Mostly nazis

#280876 - 02/12/10 08:22 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Diki Offline

Well I can understand that, coming from where you are!

But if you have time for XBox, you have time for something new musical, too! If you WANT to, that is. That's all it comes down to...

Desire

(BTW, despite the WW's, I LOVE faux driving around the Nürburgring in a Bugatti Veyron [really, a Volkswagon supercar] at speeds up to 250mph. But the only thing I kill on a regular basis is myself!)

#280877 - 02/12/10 08:28 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
JCkeeys Offline

Diki .. Fortunately I have a full time job in Corp America (it pays the bills). I manage 42 service techs in three states. My wife and I have been married 31 yrs and my two kids (26 and 28) are still living home soooo time is precious!! Maybe when the "Load" lifts and I still have a mind left I will take piano lessons.

#280878 - 02/12/10 08:53 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:
I manage 42 service techs in three states. My wife and I have been married 31 yrs and my two kids (26 and 28) are still living home

I can see the desire to waste a few Nazi's in your off time!

#280879 - 02/12/10 09:07 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
zuki Offline

If you plan to play small venues, the on board 800 speakers with the lower volume Bose Compact (about 11:00) is incredible sounding. They provide wonderful monitoring (in stereo) and fill the room nicely.

Hands down, the 800 speakers are very good. I have a pair of 802's in my studio and don't bother 'cause it's plenty loud and crisp without them on.

Like UD said, the keys are much better than othe 61 versions (IMO too)I've had.

Above said, I'm not trumping up my statements for trading purposes. I don't really care to move one of my 800's but thought it'd be nice to play full piano too. You do what's best for you and good luck with your dealings

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online