SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#280860 - 02/04/10 03:14 PM PA800 Question for UD
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
UD you still have the PA800?
Quick question ... The "Internal" speakers how do they handle the vocals along with the harmonizer? Are you satisfied with it? If so please share the Master EQ settings you use.

Thanks

#280861 - 02/10/10 05:55 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wow - A post directed right at me! I'm touched!
Yes, I still use the pa800 exclusively, and I never shut the internal speakers off ... that's the whole point of why I own the pa800!
That's the truth - there are keyboards that I prefer the styles and keyboards I prefer the tones, but NONE give me the vocal monitor and live capability that the 800 does. It's such a perfect fit with the new Bose Compact - plenty of sound, plenty of clarity and I can hear every whisper.

Here's my current EQ settings:
2.5 -2 2.5 5
I have my master vol at one line past 1/2 way and I usually favor the arranger side of the balance just a touch over the lead sound which is almost always a Rhodes or Whurlie sound. If I use the acoustic piano, it's mostly as a solo instrument layered with strings - I like the blend of the electrics with the arranger drums best... but I always was, and always WILL BE - a Rhodes fanatic.
(Thanx again Russ!)
Hope this helps.

#280862 - 02/10/10 06:20 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Good info Uncle Dave ...
Ciao,
Jerry

#280863 - 02/10/10 07:32 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
JCkeeys Offline

Thanks UD!! Almost gave up on 'Ya!!

I have the PA2x now ...wanted to sell and get the PA800. What you said is exactly what I wanted to hear!! I also have two Bose compacts. Having the internal speakers would be ideal, as you have stated.

Thanks UD!! Nice to see you on the forum! Your posts are always helpful.

#280864 - 02/10/10 08:49 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Mystic Jammer Offline

Loc: quebec
Maybe someone can answer me how is the keybed of the pa800, is it more or less like the psr series and pa50 or more solid than that ?

thanks
MJ
Software: Logic 9, Kore 2, NI-Komplete

#280865 - 02/11/10 03:22 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
JCkeeys Offline

MJ. That is one thing I want to check out? It has been awhile since I played a PA800. I currently have a PA2x which is nice. I know I would be giving up a better KB but from what I remember (INMO) better than the PSR line.

#280866 - 02/11/10 04:00 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
MJ,
The Korg keybed is stiffer and more expressive than the Yamaha PSR lineup ... even the Tyros line. This topic always ends badly, so I won't say if it's better or worse, but I WILL say that it's stiffer with a longer throw to the resting position. I am able to play more expressively on a Korg synth action. I don't use weighted action ever unless I'm on an acoustic instrument.

#280867 - 02/11/10 04:02 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystic Jammer:
Maybe someone can answer me how is the keybed of the pa800, is it more or less like the psr series and pa50 or more solid than that ?

thanks
MJ

The PA800 keys are better than the PSR, and slightly , if any better than the Pa50...Still a poor key feel for me...

I don't know how you can switch from the top Korg to the lessor model...Keys alone would make me sick...and so few of them...

#280868 - 02/12/10 06:48 AM Re: PA800 Question for UD
JCkeeys Offline

Fran I hear "Ya!! But honestly 15 minutes after playing even a crappy keybed you adapt ... at least I do. I may prefer the G70,Pa2x,Sd1 keybed(I have owned all)but listening to Dave's comments to have the internal speakers would be worth it.

#280869 - 02/12/10 07:02 AM Re: PA800 Question for UD
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:
Fran I hear "Ya!! But honestly 15 minutes after playing even a crappy keybed you adapt ... at least I do. I may prefer the G70,Pa2x,Sd1 keybed(I have owned all)but listening to Dave's comments to have the internal speakers would be worth it.

If I already owned a PA2x, I would consider 2 Podium 802's (or similar) with some creative mounting options, before I'd trade 'down' just for the internal speakers. It's gotta sound better and certainly play better. Just a thought.

chas

#280870 - 02/12/10 07:05 AM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Honestly, how much bother is it to have a couple of small monitors? Especially as they are likely to be MUCH better sounding than any internals? And easier to place where they won't feed back if you want plenty of vocals in the mix...

Bottom line is, it's easy to add a couple of monitors. But you can't add an extra 15 notes to your arranger when you feel like it. You DO play the piano, don't you? Personally, I CANNOT play pianistically on a 61. But a large percentage of all classical music and most rock and pop piano stylings can fit a 76.

I find it amazing what so many of us are willing to do, and what we are willing to lose, just to have two crappy speakers and a slightly lighter load-out

#280871 - 02/12/10 03:03 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
JCkeeys Offline

Wow!! I didn't think there would be such "emotion" around this!! But then again who my kidding, this is the General Arranger Forum! .
There is no argument about the keybed but the crappy speakers??? I have a pair of Yamaha MSP monitors, they are terrific. From and overall what's better standpoint ... the PA2x and monitors would be the clear winner. But from a "ease of use" I think a KB with "Good" internal speakers is the way to go. Once again no situation fits everyone. Thatis why I asked for UD's input because he favors internal speakers and would not compromise quality. If he says he is completly satisfied with the "sound" than I am convinced.
Diki I am not a pianist but and old accordion player so the 76 keys do not make a big difference to me.

[This message has been edited by JCkeeys (edited 02-12-2010).]

#280872 - 02/12/10 07:16 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Diki Offline

I have yet to hear a set of built ins that aren't blown away by a quite inexpensive set of externals. Let's face it, if GOOD external speakers could be made as small and slim and shallow as arrangers' internals are, they would be selling them like hotcakes....

But yes, from an old accordion background myself (learned it slightly before I got into piano), I can see where you are coming from. But, OTOH, haven't you ever thought 'wouldn't it be nice to try and LEARN the piano' in addition to the accordion? Not a problem with the 76...

#280873 - 02/12/10 07:46 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
JCkeeys Offline

Diki at 58 yrs old learnin' ain't that easy!!
I am very happy in "arranger" world (61 or 76 keys)! I love the challenge of learning new material and being the best that I can be. Singing is what I enjoy the most.

#280874 - 02/12/10 08:02 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Diki Offline

Coming up on 54 in a few weeks. Still want to learn something new, if I can. Been messing around with the flute, lately. Not good, yet, but it's FUN..! Just got a PS3 and got a bit into gaming (mostly race driving with a motorized wheel) this year. Finally got back to cooking to entertain after abandoning that for nearly ten years after my wife's passing... Feels like I'm starting from scratch all over again. Thinking of starting a comedy musical team with another Brit expat muso down here. Never done that before!

It's not really about how GOOD you get, it's about the process of trying keeps you tested and fresh, IMO.

Maybe I'll feel different in four years' time, but I doubt it. Don't sell yourself short, JC...

#280875 - 02/12/10 08:11 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
You are a busy man Diki. I have a Xbox 360 and shoot the hell out of people. Mostly nazis

#280876 - 02/12/10 08:22 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Diki Offline

Well I can understand that, coming from where you are!

But if you have time for XBox, you have time for something new musical, too! If you WANT to, that is. That's all it comes down to...

Desire

(BTW, despite the WW's, I LOVE faux driving around the Nürburgring in a Bugatti Veyron [really, a Volkswagon supercar] at speeds up to 250mph. But the only thing I kill on a regular basis is myself!)

#280877 - 02/12/10 08:28 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
JCkeeys Offline

Diki .. Fortunately I have a full time job in Corp America (it pays the bills). I manage 42 service techs in three states. My wife and I have been married 31 yrs and my two kids (26 and 28) are still living home soooo time is precious!! Maybe when the "Load" lifts and I still have a mind left I will take piano lessons.

#280878 - 02/12/10 08:53 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:
I manage 42 service techs in three states. My wife and I have been married 31 yrs and my two kids (26 and 28) are still living home

I can see the desire to waste a few Nazi's in your off time!

#280879 - 02/12/10 09:07 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
zuki Offline

If you plan to play small venues, the on board 800 speakers with the lower volume Bose Compact (about 11:00) is incredible sounding. They provide wonderful monitoring (in stereo) and fill the room nicely.

Hands down, the 800 speakers are very good. I have a pair of 802's in my studio and don't bother 'cause it's plenty loud and crisp without them on.

Like UD said, the keys are much better than othe 61 versions (IMO too)I've had.

Above said, I'm not trumping up my statements for trading purposes. I don't really care to move one of my 800's but thought it'd be nice to play full piano too. You do what's best for you and good luck with your dealings

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#280880 - 02/12/10 09:13 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
(BTW, despite the WW's, I LOVE faux driving around the Nürburgring in a Bugatti Veyron [really, a Volkswagon supercar] at speeds up to 250mph. But the only thing I kill on a regular basis is myself!)

Yes, it is fun...I have the Playstation2 with Gran Turismo 4 and the Logitech G25 steering wheel and pedals.

Simply the most fun you can have with your clothes on...

Managed Nurburgring in an 2002, 602 HP Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type-A in 7:29.5 with Road (RD3) tires...even saved the replay.

Waiting for Gran Turismo 5, the full version to come out before I get a Playstation3.

You must be having a great time...the wheel makes all the difference.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-12-2010).]

#280881 - 02/12/10 11:06 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Diki Offline

I couldn't justify the cost of a G27, about the same as the damn PS3 (got one of the new slimlines), got a new Driving Force GT instead for less than $100 (1/3 the cost of the PS3!). Works fine for me.

My main game is Need for Speed Shift at the moment, while I wait (and wait, and wait, and wait ) for GT5. I rented GT5 Prologue... to be honest, lovely graphics, but lousy collision physics. You can bang into other cars, and they don't spin out, lose grip, lose concentration, get angry ( ). It's mind numbingly calm, really! Plus no damage, few cars and few tracks, no weather or time of day. I think the main game fixes all of this, but it's wait (and wait) and see...

NFS Shift is more like a cross between NASCAR and GT. Other AI drivers will send you spinning out if you p!ss them off, there's a lot more banging around and some pretty realistic behaviors when you do. Lot's of fun, but it's going to be a big change when I get GT5. No penalties for ramming or hitting a wall (in fact, bonus points!), points for tapping out opponents, points for sliding round corners with drift style, even when it loses you time! It's really a good combination of arcade and realism, and some of my favorite tracks (love Spa GP, Laguna Seca, Brands Hatch, Silverstone - grew up less than 20 miles from that one, had a family friend who fire marshalled. Saw a LOT of racing there!) and the sound is AMAZING. Far more visceral than Gt5 Prologue. They nailed the sound...

Look forward to you joining the PS3 community when GT5 comes out. We'll have to take a spin round the Nürburgring together! Going in early March down to the Sebring 12 hour with a friend. My studio owner, back in his Enron days (long story!) owned a Ferrari racer and raced that one twice. Might be able to get pit passes... I'm stoked!

Just put Dirt2 on my PS3 but haven't raced it yet, also. Very highly rated game. Looking forward to being in the dirt deliberately for a change!

BTW, you ever see that Top Gear episode where the German girl went round the whole Nürburgring in a stock diesel Transit van in 10:06? Bloody amazing! Overtaking Posche's and motorbikes! I keep that clip on my DVR permanently, to stop me getting cocky...

See you at the track, some day....

#280882 - 02/12/10 11:52 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I

BTW, you ever see that Top Gear episode where the German girl went round the whole Nürburgring in a stock diesel Transit van in 10:06? Bloody amazing! Overtaking Posche's and motorbikes! I keep that clip on my DVR permanently, to stop me getting cocky...

See you at the track, some day....

Diki,

Can you point us to this clip was it Top gear UK?

Cheers
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#280883 - 02/13/10 09:39 PM Re: PA800 Question for UD
Diki Offline

I just taped the program on BBC America...

But try here... http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/sabine-in-a-van

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online