SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#280496 - 02/02/10 03:41 AM Poll, what kind of keybed do you like
Mystic Jammer Offline

Loc: quebec
Hi,

I'm curious to know what keybed peoples like and don't like so there's a little pool.

1- what kind of keybed you like ?
a- spongy and really light

b- Semi weight like korg and roland do (put a metal plate under the keys)

c- Full hammer like a real piano

2- is having the wrong keys on your dreams keyboard/arranger/synth a deal breaker ?

-------------------------------
For me it's
B- Semi Weight and yeah it's a deal breaker if i don't have the exact thing i want
------------------
There's a little compilation of the answers i have done:

light keys = 1
semi (lots of fatar) = 11
Full = 2
Anything = 2

Thanks
Yvon
------------------
www.musicienmystique.com
Keyboard: Korg-M1
Computer: MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz dual-core, 4 GB RAM
Software: Logic 9, Kore 2, NI-Komplete

[This message has been edited by Mystic Jammer (edited 02-03-2010).]
Software: Logic 9, Kore 2, NI-Komplete

#280497 - 02/02/10 05:33 AM Re: Poll, what kind of keybed do you like
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
It doesn't matter to me. I have Yamaha and I have Audya and both are fine with me. But I'm not a very good player. I don't think I would care as much for real piano like feel after using these arrangers... I probably would prefer the lighter action. Unless somebody gives me a baby grand.

#280498 - 02/02/10 06:03 AM Re: Poll, what kind of keybed do you like
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
To be perfectly honest, after playing the PSR-3000, Tyros2, Tyros3, Audya and E80, all in the span of a week, there was not enough difference to warrant a decision based upon keybed feel. They were all pretty much the same, and none, thankfully, was nearly as heavy as a grand piano. One day, when I get some free time, I think I'll test the pressure required to trigger a note using a strain gauge or pressure point gauge. Should be interesting.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#280499 - 02/02/10 06:09 AM Re: Poll, what kind of keybed do you like
Tonewheeldude Offline

My personal favourite keybed is the type fitted to older Hammond spinets, very comfortable with a hinge point way back out of sight, but its not ideal for Piano work.

So as a general all rounder it has to be Fatars weighted action keyframe. It very comfortable and responsive. Quite a few companies use them.

#280500 - 02/02/10 07:17 AM Re: Poll, what kind of keybed do you like
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Arrangers, for me, are neither organs nor pianos, so those spongy or heavy keybeds don't work for me. The best arranger keybed I've ever played has got to be the Roland G70's - an absolutely great compromise of everything.

I feel that the keyfeel should match the instrument and the semi-weighted keybeds of today work pretty good for the synths and arrangers.

#280501 - 02/02/10 08:12 AM Re: Poll, what kind of keybed do you like
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I prefer semi weight but because of not having enough money to buy a PA2x Pro I am also satisfied with the action of the Korg PA500 Musikant.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 02-02-2010).]

#280502 - 02/02/10 08:12 AM Re: Poll, what kind of keybed do you like
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
What a difference a day makes. Well, in my case not exactly a day, but a few years. When I first got involved playing arrangers, my thought was gotta have a heavy weighted graded hammer action, based on that I bought A CVP 307. But the more I played in arranger style the less important a heavy action has become.

So I'm fine with a lightweight action, although I agree with Cass I think the G70 has the best action of an arranger. If I'm playing piano solo music, in my opinion you have to have the real deal, either a well maintained acoustic grand piano or a CVP with a graded hammer action.

I sold my Samick grand piano because I was tired of having the technician in 3 or 4 times a year at $90 per visit to keep the piano sounding the way I liked it.

The CVP 307 is excellent,never goes out of tune and for the amount of time I'm playing piano these days it works just fine.

#280503 - 02/02/10 09:11 AM Re: Poll, what kind of keybed do you like
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi.

During the years using Technics top of the line KN keyboards, the keys and keybeds always gave me
a solid and high quality feel as well as very good to play on. The only thing that "was wrong", was that
I sometimes found that it was too few keys as my right hand would not stop at the end of the 61th.
I'm not any pianist, and I'm not going to be any, but now and then (when no one here to risk eardamage),
I like to pretend I am one.

When I first played the Ketron SD1, it was the keyfeel, then the 76 keys that impressed me most. Just great!
The 76 keys on Roland G-70 is just as wonderful to play. Looks like semi weight does it for me.

Cheers
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#280504 - 02/02/10 09:18 AM Re: Poll, what kind of keybed do you like
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

Now, for your penance, you must play Blueberry Hill in 7/8 time, on your charming little blueberry baby.

Ian

"We're only young once, but with humor we can be immature forever."

chas

#280505 - 02/02/10 09:34 AM Re: Poll, what kind of keybed do you like
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
You see Ian that shows how a little you know about the PA500 Musikant. The color is black.

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 02-02-2010).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online