SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#281134 - 02/09/10 07:01 PM new Guitar styles??
shim Offline

Loc: USA
Will someone please explain what exactly is this new "guitar feature" in the styles of the tyros 3 and s9/710?

I would like to understand what this does and how it works.

I couldn't find it in the manual... Thanks,
SHIM

#281135 - 02/09/10 07:24 PM Re: new Guitar styles??
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Click on "SFF GE" on right.
There is your explanation. http://music-tyros.com/en/technology/index2.html
Eric

#281136 - 02/09/10 08:38 PM Re: new Guitar styles??
shim Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks eric.

#281137 - 02/09/10 10:56 PM Re: new Guitar styles??
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
What I would like to hear is a good 4-beat swing with the guitar player playing chunk, chunk, chunk, chunk on every beat like the guitar player used to do in the Count Basie band. I would love to hear it compared with a pre-Tyros 3 guitar voicing.

If this sounded as good as I'd like, and everything else was similar to the Tyros 2 in sound, I'd probably consider getting a PSR-S910.

As long as Yamaha continues to have the reg mem buttons way over to the right on the Tyros 3, they have lost me and I'm certain many other Tyros customers.

If they find the drawbars are really liked/wanted by enough people and if they put them up and to the left of the screen like Korg does, I will again consider Tyros models. They could remove them totally in my thinking. Nothing like dual controls one over the other.

This was the most foolish move they could have made and I can't believe it went into production that way. IMHO

Other than that, the clarinet is great along with the jazz guitar, enough for me to want one over the T2, except for the reg mem buttons. Oh, well. No work around on this, to suit me anyway.

#281138 - 02/10/10 02:13 AM Re: new Guitar styles??
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Keyboards have never and probably will never get the basie guitar sound. Freddie Green wasn't using an electric archtop for one, all acoustic. So an electric voice isn't gonna get the job done. Next, it was the way the guitar was strummed. Maybe only 1 or 2 note chords, but 3 or 4 muted strings strummed with it to give it the oomph, just picking the one or 2 strings used in the chord won't get the sound. Which is why I created a soundfont of my archtop, which many people don't know how to use because they try to play it like a regular acoustic guitar soundfont and it rather sucks when played that way.

#281139 - 02/10/10 02:17 AM Re: new Guitar styles??
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I find the difference between the new style format and the old, subtle, but very effective.

The PSR-S910 has the registration buttons in the middle, and that is my preferred place for them, although I did manage very well on the PSR-3000, which had them on the right.

Just a matter of getting used to them, I suppose.

Ian

#281140 - 02/10/10 04:31 AM Re: new Guitar styles??
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
OMG. I can't believe anybody here was aware of, much less appreciated, Freddie Green, who for so many years anchored (defined, really) the rhythm section of those great Basie bands. Without wanting to sound like a name dropper, Count Basie was my second (or maybe third) cousin and I used to live very close to him (just blocks away) in St. Albans (Queens) NY. I was at his house often and had a chance to meet a lot of his band member at things like cookouts, etc. Good show, Rory. Like most good musicians, you know your music history as well.

chas

#281141 - 02/10/10 04:42 AM Re: new Guitar styles??
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I went to high school with a Freddie Green...he played drums, so it probably isn't the same guy.

Ian

#281142 - 02/10/10 01:58 PM Re: new Guitar styles??
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I went to high school with a Freddie Green...he played drums, so it probably isn't the same guy.

Ian

Ian...everybody went to school with a Freddy Green.....

#281143 - 02/10/10 06:00 PM Re: new Guitar styles??
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
By Scott

As long as Yamaha continues to have the reg mem buttons way over to the right on the Tyros 3, they have lost me and I'm certain many other Tyros customers.

Scott, The reg men buttons start where the window ends, they are not way over. It took me 2 weeks to get used to. Now if you put them back top the center I would be lost.

John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online