SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#279933 - 01/23/10 10:37 AM Learning Arranger , would like some tips..
Mystic Jammer Offline

Loc: quebec
Hi,

I'm learning to play my psr-s910 for a couples of weeks now (play piano for 4-5 years but didn't put that many hours as i'm way too much busy) and while i'm having fun and find the experience very interesting i still find that i have lots missing.

So what i can do is playing a style repeating a series of chords (I-VI-II-V my fav one) on the left hands while i play somes improvisation on the right one and cycling on the variations, changing voice etc...

I'm used to the function of the keyboard, switching different voice, layering them etc..

I'm also learning the different chords (found a little cheatsheet here of the 50 more used one)and trying to figure out what not i can and what i can't when and how

And what i would like to learn is .

1- how to put a styles and a song together, what variation of a styles i play on what part of the song ?

2- Where to find the chords and lyrics that goes with the songs that are on my psr music finder and other song ...

3- Tips to sing / learn to sing with the psr harmony, i got a verry nice micro that i would like to use but i miss lyrics and all like i was saying.

4- Any tips to use the function, like "you better changes your variations on the 4th beat" or "don't over use ...."

p.s. sorry for the typos

thanks and have an awesome day
MJ
Software: Logic 9, Kore 2, NI-Komplete

#279934 - 01/23/10 10:44 AM Re: Learning Arranger , would like some tips..
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
MJ,
Welcome to the world of arrangers.
May I suggest you also visit www.psrtutorial.com
It is dedicated to Yamaha arrangers and in addition to the forum there, has many lessons, tips Q&A for Yammies.
You'll love it, and anything you ask will be answered quickly.
DonM www.donmasonmusic.com

#279935 - 01/23/10 11:04 AM Re: Learning Arranger , would like some tips..
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You can also get some great tips and fellowship on Yamaha Personal Keyboard Owner.

Free to join. You can find it here:
http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php

#279936 - 01/23/10 11:31 AM Re: Learning Arranger , would like some tips..
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
IMO, the #1 thing for you to do (for arranger) is learn how to play chords with your left hand. Study basic music theory as to how chords are comprised so that you can figure this out for yourself. Start with majors and minors and then get into more complex chords. It won't take long. I was amazed how far I advanced in my first two weeks.

Generally, you change your variations at the beginning of a new verse or at the chorus. Sometimes, I never change the variation, as the others don't fit. You'd rather not do that because you would rather have some VARIATION, haha. You can add variation with changing a voice or layering.

If you have a decent ear, with practice, practice and more practice, you should be able to figure out most songs on your own without chord charts. I said, MOST.

As for lyrics, do this...

google "lyric (song name)."

For chords,

google "chords (song name)."

You can also google both and sometimes find them both.

Some chord charts you find are totally wrong. Hopefully, your ear will tell you when something is not right.

#279937 - 01/23/10 12:07 PM Re: Learning Arranger , would like some tips..
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
All of the above will be helpful.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#279938 - 01/27/10 02:28 PM Re: Learning Arranger , would like some tips..
Mystic Jammer Offline

Loc: quebec
Thanks everybody

MJ
Software: Logic 9, Kore 2, NI-Komplete

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online