SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#279898 - 01/22/10 02:40 PM Sony MDR-7506 headphones, first impressions
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Before we begin, thanks a lot to everyone and especially FransN and Diki for your help in the previous thread.

Now for the headphones.

I plugged them in for the first time about 1 hour ago. In a few words: Oh, my God, what a difference. Simple as that.

The amplifier was already running, I simply unplugged the old pair, plugged in the Sonys, turned the volume to 3/10 and then I thought it was raining.

I am not exaggerating, I just realised how much hiss my amplifier produces, even in low-moderate volume. Unplugged the Sonys, plugged in the old ones, and then silence, with a slight hiss in the distant background. Turned the volume to 6/10, the hiss incerased as expected, and then plugged in the Sonys, and was instantly transferred to Niagara Falls. I really can't stand having the headphones on my ears any more, when simply browsing, or writing a post like this, the hiss is that noticeable.

Loaded Hypersonic, played a little and realised that the adjustments I made to a drum kit using the old pair of headphones, to get it to suit my taste, were making it sound plastic and Mp3ish. I reset the kit and normal sound returned.

Deep bass I never thought existed and also, I loaded a flac file of "The music of the night" from the Phantom of the Opera, which I have heard at least 200 times, and in a quiet passage I heard for the first time in my life the faint "click" sound the singer's lips make when he opens his mouth to inhale, just before he sings a line.

I am a happy camper!!!

PS I also managed to squeeze another 10 Euros in discount. Final price 90€, worth every penny.

#279899 - 01/22/10 02:44 PM Re: Sony MDR-7506 headphones, first impressions
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Glad you are enjoying them...

Next order of the day, a pair of reference monitors equally as good!

For this, I recommend the Mackie HR824's...

#279900 - 01/23/10 09:08 AM Re: Sony MDR-7506 headphones, first impressions
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Glad you are satisfied with your Sony MDR-7506

#279901 - 01/23/10 02:53 PM Re: Sony MDR-7506 headphones, first impressions
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Great choice on the phones...I have a pair too,
And I second the recommendation for the Mackie HR-824's monitors...

Lee S.

#279902 - 01/23/10 03:29 PM Re: Sony MDR-7506 headphones, first impressions
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Thanks for the suggestions, but the wife would kill me...

To be honest, my cost-conscious self would kill me....

Should I move from the Bose 2.1 something and the Sansui amp, (both on loan from a friend, for as long as I want them), I would probably go for a cheaper alternative, like the 624 Mackie, which is more palatable in price.

Or probably even cheaper, like a Logitech Z 2300, more home oriented. Price now is ~389€ on the Mackie624's and and 533€ on the 824's.

I can't (in my head) justify the cost of a good pair of speakers VS the little use they will get from me. Seems like a bad investment. But opinions change, time will tell.

Next stop (whenever that happens for me) should be an arranger. MOTL. No need to go TOTL while I can't play damn, right?

#279903 - 01/23/10 04:44 PM Re: Sony MDR-7506 headphones, first impressions
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I have auditioned the 624's and I do think they are superb as well....

Lee S.

#279904 - 01/24/10 12:28 AM Re: Sony MDR-7506 headphones, first impressions
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd look around for a s/h HR824 (the MkI's) if you want something as reference as the headphones. I get really good translation between the two, and one thing about the HR824's... you really don't need a subwoofer. They go down lower than just about any comparable system. My friends are always looking around for the sub, and I run the Mackie's flat as a ruler...

Mine have been bombproof for years, and see constant use. Seems like a lot, but then again, so is a $100+ set of cans. If you find a used pair, try them out... (but listen to a new pair in the store first).

#279905 - 01/24/10 05:55 AM Re: Sony MDR-7506 headphones, first impressions
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
The mackie's are great monitors, I would have to say my personal favorite are the Dynaudio BM 5A, I think they are a tad smoother and a nicer more natural bottom end, but you won't go wrong with either.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online