SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#279581 - 01/19/10 03:02 PM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Yes the sony 7506 rest on my ears. It is a small headphone. But you get used to it.

Maybe I've got a smaller head (few here will agree with that ), but my 7506's sit OVER my ears, not on them. They have cups, not just foam supports. Maybe not quite as big as some, but they isolate fairly well. Comfort level is pretty high, I've worn them for hours without fatigue...

#279582 - 01/19/10 04:23 PM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
the behringer 3000s are the ones I sold a ton of the past few years. They are only $29 and most musicians were blown away. I have only ever seen a few come back not working but I've sold hundreds.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#279583 - 01/20/10 12:43 AM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Maybe I've got a smaller head (few here will agree with that ), but my 7506's sit OVER my ears, not on them. They have cups, not just foam supports. Maybe not quite as big as some, but they isolate fairly well. Comfort level is pretty high, I've worn them for hours without fatigue...

I am sorry if I am tearing the subject apart, but I want to fully understand before I fork out serious cash.

The last 2 headphones I used, since at least 15 years back, had some foam cups with an inner circumference large enough to accommodate my ears. So the cups actually rested on my cranium, completely engulfing each ear.

Like this image:

From what I gather from FransN and some comments on the Internet, the gap in the 7506's is not that big, so they rest ON the earlobe, they don't completely engulf the ear, but Diki says the exact opposite????

I have normal size ears (at least I don't fly if the wind is blowing). Thankfully, as my father's ears are Abe Vigoda size!!!!

Diki, FransN, Can you measure what the inner dimensions of the "gap" are on the 7506??? that would be a pretty good indicator, I will be able to compare with the headphones I have and make a conclusion.
its oval shaped as far as I can tell.

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 01-20-2010).]

#279584 - 01/20/10 03:06 AM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Trident, what is your use for headphones? If for casual listening, you might want to consider NOT buying the type you posted a pic of that engulf your entire ear. They are typically heavier and less comfortable than ones which do not cover the entire ear.

However, if you are using these for tracking (recording), you will probably want the full ones. Couple of years ago, I bought Audio Technica ATH-M40/s upon recommendation from others who know way more than me and I do like them. I don't recall, I think they were about $150.

For casual listening (from my laptop), I just bought these two days ago because they were on sale for $10. I don't need a mic but I did like $10 and hope the mic can be moved out of the way. ( http://tinyurl.com/y85m47f )

#279585 - 01/20/10 03:16 AM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
trident Offline

I don't record music or anything, I use them when I play my arranger (vsti instruments) , or listening to music.

It has to engulf my ear, to block out the ambient noise, wife's television, my PC's hum etc.

#279586 - 01/20/10 03:30 AM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
As I have mentioned in the past...Ultrasone are excellent..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 01-20-2010).]

#279587 - 01/20/10 05:11 AM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
It has to engulf my ear, to block out the ambient noise, wife's television, my PC's hum etc.

I would suggest ACTIVE noise cancelling headsets for the use you describe. I've used them for many years (Bose came out with the first ones) flying small planes and now they have become very popular for music applications, especially with travellers. Google "best noise cancelling headsets" and ignore any that claim only 'passive' noise cancellation.

chas

#279588 - 01/20/10 07:50 AM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
I am sorry if I am tearing the subject apart, but I want to fully understand before I fork out serious cash.

The last 2 headphones I used, since at least 15 years back, had some foam cups with an inner circumference large enough to accommodate my ears. So the cups actually rested on my cranium, completely engulfing each ear.

Like this image:

From what I gather from FransN and some comments on the Internet, the gap in the 7506's is not that big, so they rest ON the earlobe, they don't completely engulf the ear, but Diki says the exact opposite????

I have normal size ears (at least I don't fly if the wind is blowing). Thankfully, as my father's ears are Abe Vigoda size!!!!

Diki, FransN, Can you measure what the inner dimensions of the "gap" are on the 7506??? that would be a pretty good indicator, I will be able to compare with the headphones I have and make a conclusion.
its oval shaped as far as I can tell.

The inner dimensions of the gap is 5.5 cm.

#279589 - 01/20/10 08:29 AM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
trident Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
The inner dimensions of the gap is 5.5 cm.

Seems fine, my ears are 6cm. I suppose you are talking about the "long" dimension".

Thank you.

#279590 - 01/20/10 08:56 AM Re: I need new headphones !!! Please advice esp. Diki & George Kaye
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Seems fine, my ears are 6cm. I suppose you are talking about the "long" dimension".

Thank you.

Yes the long dimension.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online