SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#278765 - 01/05/10 07:22 AM Suggestions on using two different styles within a single tune...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Curious if anyone does anything like combining two different styles on the same song?

Example-And The Angels Sing. It starts with a pretty straightforward Big Band Ballad, the interlude is a highly syncopated, latin feel section, then returns to the ballad.

Is there a way within a registration to save two distinctly different styles and fire them while performing the song all in time?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#278766 - 01/05/10 08:07 AM Re: Suggestions on using two different styles within a single tune...
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi Bill:

I do use a LOT these "technique", but, the way I use it is like this, I start with the Acoustic Jazz, I program four registrations each with different sound or combination of sounds for the right hand one for each variation, then 3 registrations with the Modern BBand (with the first 3 Variations), and the last registration with the OrchBigband1 on the 4th Variation, always BUILDING UP....so, begins as a Jazz trio and builds up to a large Big Band.

Of Course, all of this with the SAME tempo, 138. I do this often with many other different styles combination's, I do change some of the sounds, balance the volumes, pan, FX, so, when you change from one to another style, is SMOOTH and avoid "bumps".

None of my competitors in my area do this, and keep in mind, I play ONLY instrumental dance music, and this gives me the edge with my counterparts.

------------------
mdorantes

#278767 - 01/05/10 08:09 AM Re: Suggestions on using two different styles within a single tune...
mdorantes Offline

I forgot to tell you what songs, well, very much generic, songs like Satin Dall, on the sunny side of the street, Don't get around much anymore, the meddley of the MOONs, Blue Moon, Fly me to the Moon, How High the Moon, It's only a Paper Moon, etc.

------------------
mdorantes

#278768 - 01/05/10 08:37 AM Re: Suggestions on using two different styles within a single tune...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I play Buona Sera I start the song using a Tango with a tempo of 104, then hit a fill, and using a registration, switch to a Jump-Jive style with a tempo of 185. Near the end of the song, I switch back to the Tango and perform the ending.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#278769 - 01/05/10 09:07 AM Re: Suggestions on using two different styles within a single tune...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary ... I wonder if that's how Louis Prima did it ?!?!? ...

Bill ... I play a technics kn6000 and the 'registration' buttons on the kb are called 'Panel Memory' ... there are eight PMs available at my fingertips - one button press to activate any one of them - and of course I can use any one of the four style variations within the PM at any time ...

I have a number of registrations saved on the kb hard drive for various songs - mostly 'standards' or songs from 'The Real Book' such as "All The Things You Are" or "Green Dolphin Street", and the changes in rhythm are usually switched between some jazz style and a Bossa or other Latin style ...
Like Manuel, I also make sure all the 'settings' - voices, tempo, volume, pan, etc. are set the way I want so that when I am playing PM1 and press PM2, everything is the way I want it ...
I have also used the PMs to start a tune with the 'straight' rhythm, such as 'Jazz Ballad', and then set a PM for 'double time' during an ad lib solo ...

For various 'sing-a-longs' - especially during the Christmas Season, I load "Christmas Songs" from the hard drive, and I have up to 8 PMs set for different songs, so as I go from song to song all I need to do is press one button and everything is set for that song ...

I KNOW I miss playing with my old band, but arranger kb's are GREAT !!! ...
t.

#278770 - 01/05/10 09:08 AM Re: Suggestions on using two different styles within a single tune...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
There's no lags, pauses, oddness? It transitions seamlessly from one style to another?

Gotta try this out when I get to my gig today!

Any more details on how best to do this? Usually, I set up one registration for one song. The number 1 registration button is the only one I ever use. Then I save that under whatever song title I use it for.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#278771 - 01/05/10 09:45 AM Re: Suggestions on using two different styles within a single tune...
mdorantes Offline

Bill:

I perform for dances live, the least thing I want is to have lags, I call them "bumps", this could make my dancers go off their steps, I have none.
In my first reply I forgot to mention that this also works with user styles providing that those are found on my Hard drive with no more than one folder, if you have many "SUB-FOLDERS", you may have issues.

I forgot to mention that also I only work with registrations I pre-programed, I have "generic" registrations like for Rhumbas, Sambas, Tangos, Boogie, etc. from 1 -8 each with different sounds/variations, BUT same tempo.
The registrations work with combination of factory styles and or user styles, make sure the "user styles" work properly, you may have issues with some of those, I make extensive testing in my registrations with any style combination before I perform before audiences.
I have made many Registrations banks and that is how I manage my playing, I know that some people use the MDF, but since is limited to the Factory styles, I prefer to make my own choice of sounds, tempo, balances and also allow me to re-touch the instrument sounds, volume, FX etc on the styles, without editing the style and be able to save those changes in my registrations, it works for me like a charm!!!.

------------------
mdorantes

#278772 - 01/05/10 09:48 AM Re: Suggestions on using two different styles within a single tune...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bill ... Generally, I will hit a 'fill' when transitioning from one to the other ... makes it pretty much 'seamless' ...
I will also say that having all your settings correct is quite important ...
t.
PS You got mail ...
t.

#278773 - 01/05/10 10:12 AM Re: Suggestions on using two different styles within a single tune...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

I usually hit a fill or break when transitioning from one to another, but no lag at all--it's a seamless operation.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#278774 - 01/05/10 01:23 PM Re: Suggestions on using two different styles within a single tune...
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bill,
sorry, don't know what keyboard you use.

With my Korg I can create a user style to suit by copying the style parts from whatever styles I choose to mix.
ie variation 1 from style A
variation 2 from style B etc

Only takes a few minutes & I've got a permanent style.

Don't know how practical that would be for a performer??

Best part as far as the korg is concerned is, I can have different time signature's & tempo's for any variation, fill etc. in a style. Great for setting up a simple medley style.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
[B]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 01-05-2010).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online