SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#278571 - 01/01/10 01:24 PM Anybody using a Roland GW-7?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Over two years ago, I bought a GW-7 and a Roland 201 synth from George. They have been plugged in once.

I intended to use the GW-7 not as an arranger or work station, but as a second board for use with an SD-5. I intended to use the 201 over the SD-5 and the GW-7 on my right hand.

Have played the GW-8 and am wondering if there is a major improvement in the two when used the way I intended?

Anyone using one (GW-7)?

I swear I need to stop buying equipment and just letting it sit. This week, I'm breaking out the SD-5, Midjay and controller I've never used. Then, theres the XB-2 that has also been plugged in a couple of times and never left the warehouse. Or the WK-8000 bought from George that is collecting dust.

I digress....what about the GW-7 as an on-stage 2nd board?

Russ

#278572 - 01/02/10 11:33 AM Re: Anybody using a Roland GW-7?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Russ,
The GW8 in my opinion isn't any better than the GW7. In fact, I think there are not as many sounds I like as much in the GW8 because the emphasis on the GW8 was for Latin music.
The new model Juno D "i" is the best sounding keyboard in a portable very light model. I've compared the Juno Di to the older Juno D and the sounds are so much better on the Di. The Di also includes a very nice mic preamp with reverb and echo, a vocoder mode and a USB drive port to playback standard midi files, wave files and MP3s. It weighs about 11 lbs. and can run on batteries as well as A/C. I have some customers who have come in and listened to the new i model and have been really impressed with the voices in this new model.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#278573 - 01/02/10 02:54 PM Re: Anybody using a Roland GW-7?
ocomain Offline

Russ,

Have to agree with George that the Juno Di would be a much better lightweight & more cost-effective choice than the GW-8. I sold my much loved GW-7 last year & still think it had the best international sound set of any keyboard or module I've ever owned (without having to purchase additional libraries or cards). If it had the USB playback features of Roland's current line-up, I would have definitely hung on to it for much longer. Still haven't purchased a keyboard to replace the GW-7 but the Di would be my choice over the GW-8. Squeak has been diligently posting some great YouTube videos on the Di & it continues to impress, an amazing instrument at its price!

Michael

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online