SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#278449 - 06/09/10 07:45 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Fran, Donny... how does it compare with the Bose Compact?

Glenn

#278450 - 06/09/10 08:13 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
Fran, Donny... how does it compare with the Bose Compact?

Glenn

For my smaller gigs its perfect...It has much better "MID RANGE" then the Bose Compact and is so much more flexable feature wise, EFx, delay, sounds great!...
oh did I mention in STEREO too?..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afzkkXvRFIg

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-09-2010).]

#278451 - 06/09/10 09:29 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tried one out....very good product for small jobs. I still use my 2 CM-30's all the time.

A little short in the channel department. Trying to decide whether it's worth using with a small mixer to cover the 2 guitars, two mics and two keyboards I normally use.

Really a lot better than the Pignose Boss Hog I use now for battery power. Those have a rechargeable battery pack-3 hours at most, and the battery pack has a rather short life. Plus, it's one channel-one speaker, and less volume.

May get one! I'll look at them closer at NAMM
next week-end.

Russ

#278452 - 06/09/10 09:53 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
For my smaller gigs its perfect...It has much better "MID RANGE" then the Bose Compact and is so much more flexable feature wise, EFx, delay, sounds great!...
oh did I mention in STEREO too?..

That looks like a great rig...definitely going to check one out at the dealers.

Not sure if I'd ever use battery power, but the idea of the all in one stereo system is pretty cool.

Ian

#278453 - 06/09/10 09:57 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
That looks like a great rig...definitely going to check one out at the dealers.

Not sure if I'd ever use battery power, but the idea of the all in one stereo system is pretty cool.

Ian

Ian battery use is just an option & in certain situations can be a asset....
we always use the AC adapter which workls really good no problems......for your restaurant gigs it's Stereo perfect!

#278454 - 06/11/10 02:07 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

I agree 100% with Fran...I just sold my Bose compact and I've also sold my bigger L1 last year also for the same reasons very poor in the mid-range department.....the Edirol M-10DX mixer RAC can really bring out the best in sound systems,
"Night and Day" is the correct term when you A/B the settings...it's amazing to hear.
As a singer the vocals are very important to me as is mid range frequencies & believe me I can definitly hear the loss of them with the Bose systems without some help. Anyway if your happy with your Bose systems that's all that matters, BUT for me as a professional entertainer on stage nightly the Bose should stay as designed as a "Personal Amplification System" for one instrument monitor....NOT a full featured frequency PA trying to produce the full frequencies of a 6 or 7 piece band & Vocals. That should be left up to the Big Guns that's are especially made for that purpose. I tried the systems a few times...but after a few months left me wanting more to be honest hence my moving on to bigger and better things.Btw I still havn't found out what the wattage output of the Bose compact is, does anyone know for sure?

#278455 - 06/11/10 03:23 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
....and there you have it, folks. The intro for the latest installment of 'Pro-Bose vs Anti-Bose'. Way to go, Donny.

Oh, and as for your agreeing with Fran 100%; WOW! What a shocker.

chas

#278456 - 06/11/10 06:52 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The Bose Compact has a power handling of 130 watts (peak)..putting it in the 65 watts RMS area..

The Compact has an overall volume output advantage over the BA330..The BA330 is 30 watts...with a 109 db...The Compact has a 106db...

We did another side by side test tonight...and the Compact has a substantial edge in the bass response (8 inch speaker)..and top volume too..
The BA330 has a big advantage in the mids range and overall sound quality..

When pushed in a test tonight using Gary's gear...there seemed to be a limiter kicking in on the BA330...as Gary says "squashing" the bass tone and overall too..This was noticeable on Gary's stuff..but I was unable to duplicate it with my gear in my studio..I don't know why...

The Bose Compact seemed to handle the overdriven input by distorting instead of the "Squashing" method of the BA330..

The Compact seems to reach a higher volume level before it distorts...compared to the volume level of the BA330 before the limiter kicks in..

Both systems are more than enough to handle the 100 people gigs...Neither is suitable for DJ gigs where the big bottom ..higher volume levels are needed..

Use either unit within it's proper range..and they will serve you well..

#278457 - 06/11/10 08:14 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I would think running both the Bose Compact and BA330 together would be an absolute winner... superior highs, mids, and lows, in still a relatively small light-weight package. Give it a try.

Glenn

#278458 - 06/11/10 10:16 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Oh, sorry did I forget to mention the Bose Compact is almost TWICE The price of the Roland Ba330?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online