SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#278419 - 12/30/09 03:00 PM My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My first Impressions of the Roland BA330..
The unit arrived well packaged..

It appears very well made..

The AC power supply has a special connector to the amp...If you forget the power adapter and are on the job..good thing it works great on batteries..

The sound quality of the speakers is excellent..Crisp, clear mids and highs, a nice full rounded bass..the bass does not kick like some 12" and 15 " units, but is very even sounding..The bass is as good as most smaller units with 10 or 12 inch speakers...Like the Roland Cube 60 or 150...

The combination of the 4-6 1/2" speakers and 2 tweeters..fill the room nicely..Roland's claim of 80-100 people is very accurate..

The unit is only 30 watts total output..15 watts a side....but it is amazing the quality and volume of the sound from this 29 pound amp.

Rated at 109 db...will make most people shake their heads in disbelief..

Roland knows how to get big sound from low powered units..

This is a digital amp, that most likely relies on software aided sound technology..

The effects are decent, and very usable..
The anti feedback feature works well too..

The tone control also works well as does the master eq..

This amp is ideal for nursing homes, dinner parties, restaurants, even bars and clubs...If you are doing dance material..use the line out to another (larger powered speaker..for more bass)...

The BA330 is a bit pricey, but sometimes you need to pay more for a high quality, feature laden sound system..and that is exactly what the BA330 is....

It is a keeper !!!!

#278420 - 12/30/09 03:14 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Fran, I have friend of a friend who is busking and is looking for a battery powered amp to use with his battery powered Yamaha NP-30 Piano.

What is the average street price?

Is it tall enough to use as a bench...in other words, is it flat enough on top and sturdy enough to sit on while playing and would it be high enough?

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 12-30-2009).]

#278421 - 12/30/09 05:10 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Fran Carango Offline

Ian, $830 retail, with a street price around $600...It is sturdy enough to sit on, maybe sturdy enough to have a chic sit on your knee at the same time..

About the height of a drum throne ..20 inches tall.

#278422 - 12/30/09 05:26 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks Fran...I'll pass on the information.

It is a bit expensive, but then again, it is stereo.

Ian

#278423 - 12/30/09 05:32 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Fran,

My Logitech z-2100 will blow the socks off that for 200 bucks.

Tom

Tom

#278424 - 12/30/09 05:46 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Fran,

My Logitech z-2100 will blow the socks off that for 200 bucks.

Tom

Tom..Prove it..

Didn't you read my words.."Quality"..and what about the quality inputs, effects and anti feedback...now what is your PC speaker system ..equal to...

#278425 - 12/30/09 05:49 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Fran Carango Offline

BTW: the unit is running on batteries..near full volume for over 5 hours and there is more than half charge left..This can work up to 15 hours on a single charge..

How long does your system last Tom?

#278426 - 12/30/09 05:51 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Fran, I was reading all the specs on the BA330 and that looks like a hell of a good little amp. To bad it's so pricey.
Did it just come out?
Thanks for your report.

Peter

#278427 - 12/30/09 05:52 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
ianmcnll Offline

I'm getting a Logitech Z-2300 system...they are on sale for $129 CND...they are very powerful and sound great on an arranger or digital piano.

It's only for home use.

Ian

#278428 - 12/30/09 05:55 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Musicman22:
Fran, I was reading all the specs on the BA330 and that looks like a hell of a good little amp. To bad it's so pricey.
Did it just come out?
Thanks for your report.

Peter

It was just released..I think I have one of the first in my area..I got it from Sweetwater,,Sam Ash and Guitar center had nothing in their systems..

#278429 - 12/30/09 10:09 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So the Podium's are no longer the bargain of the century they were touted as when they were your 'this one's a keeper' system a few months ago..?

I was astounded at how many were wiling to pay $1000 for a 130W Bose Compact system a while back, but $600+ for something that is rated 2X15W? Yikes!

How many different systems do you have now, Fran? And how many have you let go over the last five years or so? Bet they were all 'keepers' during the first flush of ownership... And, what does it matter how many hours it runs on batteries? You got a single decent arranger that runs on batteries to put through it? Didn't think so..!

Tell us this is a 'keeper' AFTER you have 'kept' it for six months and used it regularly (that is multiple times a week). Right now, it is as much a 'keeper' as the E600 (was that the model you raved about?) and the other plethora of gear that turned out to not be the 'keeper' it was described by you as...

Don't get me wrong, this may turn out to be a great piece of gear, but perhaps we could keep the 'keeper' tag off until after you actually HAVE kept and used it for a while? There are many that take these kinds of reviews seriously, and spend hard earned money on what is actually just an initial impression. We owe it to them to be less hyperbolic in our praise until the gotchas and real life experiences have accumulated, don't we?

Or, at least, those that read them should be aware just how much 'keeper' stuff you no longer have?

Personally, a 200W+ system with a big subwoofer from Logitech for $140 US or a $600+ 2X15W Roland sytem, I'd want to know why I would pay 4X more for something a LOT less powerful..? Battery power seems a pretty much useless feature for an arranger player.

I'd be interesting in hearing about a head to head between the Roland and a pair of those Podium 10"s, especially when cranked up (or at least, a 'pro' level of deep bass at a medium distance or so). That is, if you still have those 'keepers'

#278430 - 12/30/09 10:26 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I can identify with Fran.
I have two Bose Compacts. Also two Logitech Z220s (one in my computer room for the PC and playing kb or guitar at home and one for small jobs). I have a Z5500 in the living room for surround sound on the TV setup. Also have two Podium 8's.
They are all good. I prefer the Logitechs to the Podiums, but they don't have as long a throw. I've probably done two dozen jobs with the 2200s over three or four years.
Of course the Bose Compacts are in a class of their own. I leave them set up at my six-night a week job. (At least most weeks.)
I REALLY have to get rid of some STUFF. Three arrangers and two controllers, five mixers, more mics than the music store, at least six kb stands. Pack rat. Bad. I even have four or five portable digital recorders.
Somebody stop me before it gets out of control. No wait, it's too late!
DonM

#278431 - 12/30/09 10:34 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Diki Offline

Perhaps it is just me, but I tend to think of the word 'keeper' as something that you DO actually keep and use over an extended length of time, something that outperforms your current 'keeper', NOT something you don't immediately return to the seller, which I'm afraid is often the way some of us use it...

What are Fran's REAL 'keepers'?

I'd suggest the G70, his Yorkvilles, and his Traynor K4. Had, and KEPT and used those regularly for a long time. Now, that's a recommendation I can believe in...

#278432 - 12/31/09 03:55 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Have to say, I bought my Traynor K4 on Fran's recommendation, and I LOVE that amp (pound for pound, the best KB amp out there, IMO of course). On the other hand, I also bought the Podium 8's on Fran's recommendation. I guess 1 out of 2 isn't so bad.

As for DonM, yeah, an intervention is probably in order. While you're at it, set one up for me and Russ as well.

chas (so many gadgets, so little money)

#278433 - 12/31/09 05:53 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'd like to chime in here on Fran's use of and Diki's interpretation of the term "keeper."

I have come to understand and accept Fran's use of the term as meaning that the item is worth it's purchase price. It also means, to me, that the item is not a piece of junk. Whether it's something I would want or buy is a personal matter. Having read Fran's posts for many years now, I know that Fran - and others - have a penchant for new gear. He often makes a big noise over buying new stuff, but is pretty quiet about what he discards or keeps. I don't find that alarming or unusual. Now, would I buy a piece of gear solely on Fran's "keeper" tag? Probably not, but I certainly would give his thumb-up some credence - if I were looking at similar equipment.

That said, Diki has a point in asking that such a "strong" term be used for something that the owner may not choose to keep after a brief honeymoon with it. But, and here's the rub, I also sense an underlying bias that Diki has against Fran's fickleness. In reading Diki's posts for a good number of years, I've come to realize that his opinions are strong and that sometimes his words come off a little rough. I don't feel that Diki holds these animosities that his words sometimes hint at. I feel it's just his style and I accept that.

I ask that we/Diki accept that "keeper" is a Fran-ism just as much as Diki's words are his personality.

Peace out, brothers. JMHO

Cass

#278434 - 12/31/09 06:08 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The title of the post says “First Impressions” and after this trial Fran has found it to be worthwhile keeping it for a longer term trial, NOT that it is a keeper forever.
That’s how I read it anyway

Bill

#278435 - 12/31/09 06:52 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I ask that we/Diki accept that "keeper" is a Fran-ism just as much as Diki's words are his personality.

Peace out, brothers. JMHO

Cass

Nah, I think they should duke it out. Fran could use Donny as a second and Diki could use.....uh, uh, uh, Dom? Elizabeth? wait....Scottyee.

chas

#278436 - 12/31/09 09:39 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Fran Carango Offline

Bill, Cass, Don and even Chas got it right...Diki for the most part got it wrong..

A "keeper" from a first impression means I want to continue to explore because I initially find it great..

Compared to my "non keepers"..first impression soured me in one or more areas..
Here is my list as an example of non keeper (I held on to some for a few weeks, to see if I would miss anything)..

Non Keepers:

PSR2100 (Yamaha)..Where do I start.. quality built, SMF play, most sounds, key feel, mic/harmonizer...all negatives..

Yamaha Tyros3..just not worth the cost to me..I am being kind...

Roland Fantom x6..I just never liked the sound selections used in the Fantom series..Choirs and lack of scats..are negatives..menu driven parameters are awkward..

Korg Triton Studio 76..bulky, unusable sounds for me (Hip hop oriented).bad design for sequencing and sound design..very overrated..

Roland Juno G..bad key feel..even though they were better than the PSR..it is Roland;s worst keys..Too many menu driven options to get where you need to go..Only 16 parts, not allowing separate parts for realtime keyboard parts..

Roland Juno Stage..some player glitches and poor load time..Only 16 parts..same result as the Juno G..

Roland Sonic cell..Limited song files on Thumb drive..originally 99..upgraded to 399(All Roland's now are 999..Prelude,GW8, Juno Stage)..

Now to clear up some wrong statements from Diki..

I never owned or played the Podium 10's..

I still believe the Podium 802 at $110 each is the best power for the dollar on the market..
I have 2 pair of 802's..a pair of 1204's, a pair of 1503's...I think I am making a statement in support of Podium..

I used/owned the Roland E-600 for 4 years..

The K4 was sold to DNJ..He pleaded for it..I did not intend to sell it..

I would have to confirm my current list of "keepers"....
G70, Prelude, My ancient Cube 100's (4)..
My MediaStation..
My M-10dx Edirol mixer..
My 46 year old custom made accordion..
My Sano amp (also 46 years)..

These are givens..and will only be replaced if something better comes along.. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img]

Naturally there are "keepers" that just age and we sell off..because it is time...like the Roland G1000, VA7, DisCover 5, JV1000, XP80, VR760, etc..

To recap..a keeper from my first impression is exactly as Bill stated..

#278437 - 12/31/09 09:56 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Fran Carango Offline

Diki, the battery powered can come in handy..even if I have to plug a keyboard in...You don't need a power strip and extra cords...It is an easy ideal set up for Nursing home and other quick setup jobs..

And.. with a battery powered laptop and BA330..I have instant music anywhere...Outdoor get together..beach parties..just about anywhere....and both units will give me a minimum 5 hours battery live (the weaker time is the laptop)..

Don't be so quick to rule out what you haven't tried..

Same with the cost..add up the components and features of the BA330..than listen to one..even on battery power...maybe you will change your opinion..

I will try a side by side to the Bose Compact...I think some folks will be surprised how it fairs to the compact..I already think the BA330 has a fuller range of sound..The Bose lacks a low mids area..and this is where the BA330 shines.

I won't be surprised if the BA330 fills a room as much as the compact...When I tested the Bose Compact...it was never able to get very loud before it distorted..A side by side..should be interesting..I will let you guys know the results..

Both the Bose compact and the BA330 are ideally designed for the 80-100 people venues..(dinners, NH, etc)
Neither would cover "dance" with out external powered speaker help..Not even the Big boy L1..

#278438 - 01/01/10 01:11 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fran-I just ordered one. Been using the little 30 watt Roland monitor (CM-30?) for about a year on small luncheon gigs (25-75 people) for the city. Might be the same little power source, which is neat with my light little NP-30 Yamaha.

I play outside for a large farm a lot in the summer. We've used generators and a battery operated Pignose Hog. This will be useful as an easily movable unit for all kinds of jobs.

Thanks,

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 01-01-2010).]

#278439 - 01/01/10 04:48 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Both the Bose compact and the BA330 are ideally designed for the 80-100 people venues..(dinners, NH, etc)
Neither would cover "dance" with out external powered speaker help..Not even the Big boy L1..

Um....Fran, I would think again about the L1 not covering *ahem* "Dance".....

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#278440 - 01/03/10 12:27 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
montunoman Online   content

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Fran, have you tried the Roland SA 300? I have one and wonder how it compares with the BA 330. Thanks for your review.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#278441 - 01/03/10 01:03 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by montunoman:
Fran, have you tried the Roland SA 300? I have one and wonder how it compares with the BA 330. Thanks for your review.

I have never tried the SA300.I would think the SA300 has more power..volume.

#278442 - 01/03/10 01:30 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
I play outside for a large farm a lot in the summer. We've used generators and a battery operated Pignose Hog.

That sounds the perfect venue to unleash your Billy Ray Cyrus medley...

#278443 - 01/04/10 08:10 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330

(LOL)! SMARTASS!

Russ (Buck) Lay

#278444 - 06/03/10 08:58 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

i have to agree with Fran after RE Auditioning the Roland BA330 again at his studio for teh second time using my gear. Crystal clear STEREO sound via all devices, Arranger w/Vocals, Mp3's, Smf's....nice FULL range also with great MIDs which I miss on the Bose compact. This little gem is the perfect piece of stereo gear for smaller gigs, NH's, cocktail hours, 50/75pp with no problems, etc, no need to push it just use bigger gear for bigger audiences.
This lil' baby is SUPER flexible for so many hookups also via the back mixer panel inputs & nice EFX w/ delay also. I'll be adding one to my arsenal next week. Oh yeah did I mention you can use batteries for 10 hours also?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0APRcWcq4MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnowfI5-iU

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-03-2010).]

#278445 - 06/05/10 10:30 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Fran Carango Offline

Friday night I did a solo gig..the only sound system I used was the BA330...It was outdoors at the Tahiti Inn, Ocean City, NJ...We had about 100 people there...The BA330 breezed thru the night..

Tonight I used the same BA330 with the Band "Just In Time"..3 mics and keyboard...same location and about 175 people attending..I pushed it because of dance music..and it responded admirably (meaning great)..

Yes Diki ...it still is a keeper..

#278446 - 06/05/10 10:37 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Fran Carango Offline

My lovely friend Carrie, surprised me with a visit, Friday night, that brightened my otherwise slightly boring gig...
A bad pic, but Carrie's beauty comes shining through..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 06-05-2010).]

#278447 - 06/06/10 02:03 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Fran sounds like you had a very nice evening in MANY ways

#278448 - 06/08/10 06:42 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Just got the BA330 here today.....so far TWO Thumbs Up sounds great in Stereo! thanx Fran for the heads up on another nice piece of sound amplifictaion gear......I'll put to good use on my triple gig tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-08-2010).]

#278449 - 06/09/10 07:45 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Fran, Donny... how does it compare with the Bose Compact?

Glenn

#278450 - 06/09/10 08:13 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
Fran, Donny... how does it compare with the Bose Compact?

Glenn

For my smaller gigs its perfect...It has much better "MID RANGE" then the Bose Compact and is so much more flexable feature wise, EFx, delay, sounds great!...
oh did I mention in STEREO too?..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afzkkXvRFIg

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-09-2010).]

#278451 - 06/09/10 09:29 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330

Tried one out....very good product for small jobs. I still use my 2 CM-30's all the time.

A little short in the channel department. Trying to decide whether it's worth using with a small mixer to cover the 2 guitars, two mics and two keyboards I normally use.

Really a lot better than the Pignose Boss Hog I use now for battery power. Those have a rechargeable battery pack-3 hours at most, and the battery pack has a rather short life. Plus, it's one channel-one speaker, and less volume.

May get one! I'll look at them closer at NAMM
next week-end.

Russ

#278452 - 06/09/10 09:53 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
For my smaller gigs its perfect...It has much better "MID RANGE" then the Bose Compact and is so much more flexable feature wise, EFx, delay, sounds great!...
oh did I mention in STEREO too?..

That looks like a great rig...definitely going to check one out at the dealers.

Not sure if I'd ever use battery power, but the idea of the all in one stereo system is pretty cool.

Ian

#278453 - 06/09/10 09:57 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
That looks like a great rig...definitely going to check one out at the dealers.

Not sure if I'd ever use battery power, but the idea of the all in one stereo system is pretty cool.

Ian

Ian battery use is just an option & in certain situations can be a asset....
we always use the AC adapter which workls really good no problems......for your restaurant gigs it's Stereo perfect!

#278454 - 06/11/10 02:07 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

I agree 100% with Fran...I just sold my Bose compact and I've also sold my bigger L1 last year also for the same reasons very poor in the mid-range department.....the Edirol M-10DX mixer RAC can really bring out the best in sound systems,
"Night and Day" is the correct term when you A/B the settings...it's amazing to hear.
As a singer the vocals are very important to me as is mid range frequencies & believe me I can definitly hear the loss of them with the Bose systems without some help. Anyway if your happy with your Bose systems that's all that matters, BUT for me as a professional entertainer on stage nightly the Bose should stay as designed as a "Personal Amplification System" for one instrument monitor....NOT a full featured frequency PA trying to produce the full frequencies of a 6 or 7 piece band & Vocals. That should be left up to the Big Guns that's are especially made for that purpose. I tried the systems a few times...but after a few months left me wanting more to be honest hence my moving on to bigger and better things.Btw I still havn't found out what the wattage output of the Bose compact is, does anyone know for sure?

#278455 - 06/11/10 03:23 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
cgiles Offline

....and there you have it, folks. The intro for the latest installment of 'Pro-Bose vs Anti-Bose'. Way to go, Donny.

Oh, and as for your agreeing with Fran 100%; WOW! What a shocker.

chas

#278456 - 06/11/10 06:52 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Fran Carango Offline

The Bose Compact has a power handling of 130 watts (peak)..putting it in the 65 watts RMS area..

The Compact has an overall volume output advantage over the BA330..The BA330 is 30 watts...with a 109 db...The Compact has a 106db...

We did another side by side test tonight...and the Compact has a substantial edge in the bass response (8 inch speaker)..and top volume too..
The BA330 has a big advantage in the mids range and overall sound quality..

When pushed in a test tonight using Gary's gear...there seemed to be a limiter kicking in on the BA330...as Gary says "squashing" the bass tone and overall too..This was noticeable on Gary's stuff..but I was unable to duplicate it with my gear in my studio..I don't know why...

The Bose Compact seemed to handle the overdriven input by distorting instead of the "Squashing" method of the BA330..

The Compact seems to reach a higher volume level before it distorts...compared to the volume level of the BA330 before the limiter kicks in..

Both systems are more than enough to handle the 100 people gigs...Neither is suitable for DJ gigs where the big bottom ..higher volume levels are needed..

Use either unit within it's proper range..and they will serve you well..

#278457 - 06/11/10 08:14 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I would think running both the Bose Compact and BA330 together would be an absolute winner... superior highs, mids, and lows, in still a relatively small light-weight package. Give it a try.

Glenn

#278458 - 06/11/10 10:16 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Oh, sorry did I forget to mention the Bose Compact is almost TWICE The price of the Roland Ba330?

#278459 - 06/11/10 10:17 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
[BOh, and as for your agreeing with Fran 100%; WOW! What a shocker.
chas[/B]

Why is that? ....No more then you and your side kick Diki

#278460 - 06/18/10 02:36 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Today I bought a BA 330. My first impression was very good. The sound is clean and bright. In next Sunday I'll have the opportunity to test in a live event for 50 people. I will connect my Psr S910, a Godin nylon guitar and a sax.
Other news on Monday

#278461 - 06/22/10 02:12 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
ChicoBrasil Offline

I was surprised with the performance of BA 330. The audience (69 people)loved my work.I played in an open stage and the sound was five stars.I am sure that I can play on gigs to 100 people easy easy.My congrats, Roland!

#278462 - 06/22/10 02:25 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Chico after using the BA330 for a month now on many numerous different gigs I will say that it is a "KEEPER"....Sounds great in Stereo, All the great features make it VERY versatile, lightweight, and just perfect for smaller gigs. I'm glad your enjoying it.

#278463 - 06/22/10 02:49 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
ChicoBrasil Offline

Donny.
I felt a huge difference in the piano voices on my S910 when compared to my Bose Compact. May be the factor stereo x mono.

#278464 - 06/22/10 03:28 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChicoBrasil:
Donny.
I felt a huge difference in the piano voices on my S910 when compared to my Bose Compact. May be the factor stereo x mono.

Chico excactly... funny I was just telling Fran the same thing the other day.....the s910 sounds fantastic thru the BA330 in stereo after all the sounds and styles, panning, etc, were made for Stereo....I'm hearing things I never did before with the Mono Bose system.

#278465 - 06/22/10 05:55 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Chico excactly... funny I was just telling Fran the same thing the other day.....the s910 sounds fantastic thru the BA330 in stereo after all the sounds and styles, panning, etc, were made for Stereo....I'm hearing things I never did before with the Mono Bose system.

Ah I gotta stop coming here. Donny, you're selling me on the idea of buying a BA330!! I need another amp like I need a hole in the head

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 06-22-2010).]

#278466 - 06/22/10 06:05 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Ah I gotta stop coming here. Donny, you're selling me on the idea of buying a BA330!! I need another amp like I need a hole in the head

Go FOR it Steve......I think it will be perfect for you shows....

#278467 - 06/22/10 06:10 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:

You can buy my BA 330.....Just kidding..
I really think it is a great little amp..features and sound quality....and the volume from 30 watts stereo...is short of spectacular..

The weakest point is overall bass..but it is still good...

#278468 - 06/23/10 07:53 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330

I'm using mine for two jobs today. And, Chico, Godin; particularly the upper end recording nylon string Multiac is one of my favorites.
Really tasteful with a sax and piano for Bossas.

Regards,

Russ

#278469 - 06/23/10 08:27 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Quote:
I'm using mine for two jobs today. And, Chico, Godin; particularly the upper end recording nylon string Multiac is one of my favorites.

Regards,

Russ

Good luck with your New ROLAND BA330 Russ....
I know you'll enjoy it if you don't exceed it's limits.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-23-2010).]

#278470 - 06/23/10 08:23 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Quote:

Regards,

So Russ how did you make out with the Ba330?

Russ

#278471 - 06/24/10 08:13 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330

Donny, I've actually had mine for several weeks...got it just before I went to NAMM. It's my "go to" set-up for about 1/3 of my jobs. I've used it on over 25 jobs so far.

My little 12 pound NP-30 piano was OK before, but sounds a lot better in stereo.

One club-an Italian restaurant with a bar that does full service food, is thinking about buying one for the system for that room. The bar seats about 40, and I'll set it up to line out into the house PA, so we can channel live music into the other dining rooms. We do that now, but, with PA changes by the three of us who play there, the sound is hard to manage, quality and volume wise.

These little dudes are GREAT. I need more volume and more inputs for the rest of the jobs, but have always liked Roland stuff...an old Jazz Chorus...Cube 30's and 60's, the 30 watt CM-30 monitors a bunch of us got last year. I'm using the new unit in a few minutes to record a music in and out for a film project and a 30 second PSA.

Two thumbs up from me!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-24-2010).]

#278472 - 06/24/10 01:05 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

That's great Russ....I figured it would be a very versitile piece of gear for you. I just did a small NH Triple gig today and it is just perfect for these rooms in STEREO too. When I'm in bigger rooms I use my powered 15's Mackie thumps....Roland has a winner with the BA330.

#278473 - 09/15/10 08:43 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
DonM Offline

Donnie, why do you have it for sale?
Don

#278474 - 09/15/10 08:47 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Donnie, why do you have it for sale?
Don

WHAT? HAVN'T YOU HEARD THE TYROS 4 WILL BE REVEALED SEPTEMBER 17TH !!!

#278475 - 09/16/10 09:26 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
DonM Offline

Ahhh, I see. You'll love the T4.
Don

#278476 - 09/16/10 09:32 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Ahhh, I see. You'll love the T4.
Don

I would probably love it as a home unit ...but not on stage just to much real estate.the S910 series fits MY bill for now...I have become very patient in gear buying versus my past where I bought everything under the sun only to sell it a short while later..I am open to all choices, & if the right piece comes to market I'll buy it, but a bit more cautious & realistic these days.

Carry On

#278477 - 09/16/10 09:58 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
DonM Offline

You're just gettin' old my friend. Loosen up them purse strings, you can't take it with you.

DonM

#278478 - 09/16/10 10:02 AM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Quote:
You're just gettin' old my friend. Loosen up them purse strings, you can't take it with you.

DonM

Money ain't the probelem Don,...
been thru alot of gear in the last 40+ years....I know there will be more ....thing is at this time there isn't anything to really get excited about...soooooo we wait. As long as I can play music to make a living I'm blessed and happy

#278479 - 09/16/10 08:12 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
zuki Offline

Dnj gets me pumped up, I go out and buy the 330 and then he tries to pawn his off on me!

Just kidding, if I really needed it, I'd buy it, but one is doing very well and I'm happy with the results daily. I played to 100 people tonight and it handled the room with plenty to spare.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#278480 - 09/16/10 09:00 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Fran as always talked me out of it again and reminded me how great the BA330 really is! .......what was I thinking...?
When I remembered how much I didn't care for the sound of the Bose compact and no stereo, no options like mic inputs with COSM efx, multi inputs, EQ, optional power sources, much better mids ....

PS.. Zuki you will never get a heads up from me again on gear....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-16-2010).]

#278481 - 09/16/10 09:05 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
I would probably love it as a home unit ...but not on stage just to much real estate

Hi Donny

Your kind of like me in liking smaller and lighter, but the T4 isn't much bigger or heavier than the 910.

T4 44.89 x 17.72x 5.63 31.97 lbs
S910 39.5 x 17.1 x 5.92 25.5 lbs

Or, maybe it's the price of the real estate If not...........

I place my bet that you will get a T4

#278482 - 09/16/10 09:05 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
double post

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 09-16-2010).]

#278483 - 09/16/10 09:14 PM Re: My first impressions of the Roland BA330
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
double post

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 09-16-2010).]

Scott thanx for the research.....I will play a T4 as soon as possible...the price is of no concern if it serves my needs as I have owned a T1/T2 so far.. I Look forward at this time for the S Series trickle down also.....I wish they would release both at the same time for comparison.....in the weeks to come we will see.... meanwhile the T4 release is only a few hours away !!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online