SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#278362 - 12/30/09 07:21 PM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Perhaps women are simply more interested in PLAYING their arrangers than bragging about how good they are to their friends and colleagues..?

As little content on this forum about the former, and so MUCH about the latter as there is, perhaps this MIGHT have a bit to do with their non-participation..?

I get what you're saying, Diki but is it really that prevalent here? There's a few guys who are usually pretty rigid in their attitudes and beliefs. "This is the right way to play-all other ways are wrong" kind of stuff. But that's hardly the majority.

I think the vast majority of guys take the stance "This is what works best for me and this is why..." But not to the exclusion of all other approaches...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#278363 - 12/30/09 08:44 PM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
How many married guys would object/encourage their wives to have an "expensive" hobby as theirs?

Bill in Dayton, whether a woman gets assaulted in Africa, the Middle East, Europe, Australia or the USA, the end result is still the same. Statistics don't mean a thing to victims. If you're a victim you're a victim.

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 12-30-2009).]

#278364 - 12/30/09 08:58 PM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
How many married guys would object/encourage their wives to have an "expensive" hobby as theirs?

Bill in Dayton, whether a woman gets assaulted in Africa, the Middle East, Europe, Australia or the USA, the end result is still the same. Statistics don't mean a thing to victims. If you're a victim you're a victim.

Regards

Taike

Depending on the financial circumstances of the family, it could be a pretty expensive hobby. In the end, as long as it didn't hurt us financially, I'd support any thing my wife wanted to do.

Yes, victims are victims but to look at the problem in a realistic way means we have to consider the culture where these heinous acts are committed. In most Countries, to treat a woman in that way is a crime, but in some other Countries, its not. As sick as it sounds to us here in the States, to change a cultural thing is waaaay more complicated than to arrest a violator of a crime.

Nothing we could do can change how some Countries view women in the short term. I think, over time, more countries will adapt more equal policies regarding women. Progress will not be nearly...not nearly fast enough...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#278365 - 12/30/09 11:08 PM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Perhaps the way that women get treated in other parts of the world will change when we start to refuse to trade and do business with their societies, no matter how cheap their prices are..? Financial isolation is the only tool short of all out war that can change a culture.

And, I'm sorry to say, the women of the wealthier nations are as much to blame for this than their male partners. Want to change how China treats women (and girl babies) in their culture? Stop shopping at WalMart... Don't buy anything with Made in China (or any other repressive country - not singling China out, here) on it until they have at least the rights our women do. Of course, YOUR standard of living will drop for you to make this point, but it's the only thing that will have any REAL impact. Boycott Middle Eastern oil, boycott African countries' products, put up with LESS in your life, to pressure a culture for more equality in theirs...

It will soon become apparent whether you DO care or not...

But, this talk of 'total equality' is utter nonsense. The only time the genders will be completely equal is if there is no gender at all (not MY idea of a good time!). More and more scientific research shows us that men and women's bodies and minds work in quite different ways, completely independent of culture. This is NOT an excuse to treat them differently, but I think it IS a reason to not expect us all to react, behave or view the world identically. Women, on the whole, tend to be more cooperative, more collaborative, more communicative and more likely to be supportive of each other than competitive males. Which might be a reason so few take the time to get involved here..?

Let's face it, making music on an arranger is quite possibly the easiest of just about any musical task short of playing a kazoo And those that DO want technical information are usually found on the specific forum or their particular keyboard (which tend, for obvious reasons, to be FAR less combative than here) and there usually only enough to find out what they need. Other than that, what does SZ offer in the way of playing tips, music appreciation and general support for each other? Not a whole lot, I am sad to say.

This is a 'General' arranger forum, which tends to imply that it is for the discussion, comparison of 'general' arranger topics rather than machine specifics. And what else IS there but comparison, opinion and counter-opinion once you take away the simple 'how do I format an S910's HD' type of question, better suited to a PSR forum? Cooperation and collaboration is going to be difficult to engender when we all play different arrangers, and each of us is convinced we have the best?

Plying competitions (or eJams if you prefer) wither on the vine or devolve into rancor. Tips and Tricks go unremarked. Suggestions for new ways for manufacturers to coax more 'real' performances from our machines get little response. But diss the S910's keybed, or the Audya's sampler, or the Roland's weight, and NOW you have a discussion!

Maybe women ARE the 'better' sex, just for staying away from such unproductive topics?

#278366 - 12/31/09 01:04 AM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
And as well as Rikki, Elizabeth and Linda there is also Joan and Audrey on the Technics forum here as was mentioned in an earlier posting but I thought I would just remind everyone once again.

While the female members are outnumbered the quality they bring to the forums is unsurpassed. The most refreshing thing is they don't have the uncontrolled ego that unfortunately many men seem to have.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 12-31-2009).]

#278367 - 12/31/09 01:54 AM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
PS... this thread has major disaster written all over it.

Oh well, but I don't ban threads based on where they may go. I don't think you do either James. In fact if some members make an ass of themselves well that would make a statement related to the topic that this thread is addressing.

#278368 - 12/31/09 06:27 AM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
When I first joined the arranger group I feel I was possibly looked upon as a female - Cass, how many do you know? I also thought Fran Carango might be a woman. It took a little while to get comfortable, but I don't think the gender issue ever impeded my or others comments.

What I wonder about is - how can so many members simply read the forum for "content" and hardly ever respond? There's obviously something here that draws you into reading. Are you not taken in by something that would make you respond? Woman or man, sitting on the sidelines on this forum especially, seems stranger than buying a daily paper and never going beyond reading the headlines. Participation is key to the lifeblood of the forum. By being a constant lurker what does anyone gain?

Oh boy, fasten your seat belts... ???

#278369 - 12/31/09 07:25 AM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Nigel

Quote:
Oh well, but I don't ban threads based on where they may go. I don't think you do either James.

No, not at all. I wasn't suggesting that it should be closed. It's just one of those threads that worries me because it could go either way.

Quote:
In fact if some members make an ass of themselves well that would make a statement related to the topic that this thread is addressing.

Yes, very true. I just hope nobody gets provoked into doing something stupid and getting banned over it.

Regards
James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 12-31-2009).]

#278370 - 12/31/09 08:03 AM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Bill in Dayton Offline

I'd be really disappointed if somehow this thread down a bad road. Even those most opinionated among us seem to be making their points in a respectful fashion.

I wanted this thread to focus on the lack of females on the SZ. All due respect to Elizabeth because she makes good points about how females are treated in some places, but, I don't think its really relevant to this particular discussion.

That angle of this would be a great topic for The Bar. As we have members form all over the world, I'll bet we'd get some interesting observations.

I'm interested in hearing from some of the "lurkers" on what kind of topics/content they'd respond to.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#278371 - 12/31/09 12:02 PM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I don't get it...In my musical world , there is equality..in fact most of my musical friends (musicians, singers, entertainers) are women..not men...

So why would I not expect SZ balance to be the same..Ladies, "start your engines"...I for one would not mind an increase of ladies participation in discussions here...

Also I know I rather listen to the ladies instead of the turned 60, depressed guys that have shown a reflective attitude..

I will be picking up my favorite lady (music favorite, don't want my wife to get the wrong idea.. )..she will be joining me in our New Year's Eve job..

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online