SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#278392 - 01/07/10 02:10 PM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

On this of all forums, I would tread warily of labeling female musicians just 'in it for the money, or the attention'. Basically, if you CAN play well, you are only playing an arranger for the money or the attention You have the skill to play in a band, but choose to play with a machine for what? For the art of it? Or is it for the money and the attention (no other musicians to grab your limelight, are there)?

Finally...

"There is no such thing as a sexist remark. There are only remarks made that are then LABELED by whoever hears it." is absurd. Does that mean I can insult the hell out of you, but what I write ISN'T insulting, until you label it so...? I don't think so An insult is an insult from the moment it is written, and a sexist remark doesn't need someone else to call it that for it to be one...

Diki..do you think at this point youre possibly just throwing stuff against the wall until something sticks?

Youre manipulating what I said to suit your needs for rebuttal. Read it again, please. I said I dont know of any women around here that arent in music just for the money or for vanity reasons. I also said I live in an area that praises riches and looks down their nose at mediocrity. So what would be the obvious conclusion you would come to from those two statements?

Now I really dont care to make a judgment call about if women were suppressed in the days of the great Classical composers. The bottom line is what I said: there were few great KNOWN female composers to compete on the playing field with Beethoven or Chopin or even Scott Joplin. This is the way it is. I mean the facts are right in front of you, yet you still wont admit to what Im saying. Forget about whether or not they were suppressed, oppressed or DEpressed. In speculation, maybe they WERE better at composing and just didnt get the chance to do it. Well never know that. What we do know is that they DIDNT compose, while theyre male counterparts DID. And, hence, got the exposure.

Lucky says: "There is no such thing as a sexist remark. There are only remarks made that are then LABELED by whoever hears it."

Diki says: ...this is absurd.

Lucky says: No, Diki its NOT absurd. Its only absurd if you THINK it is absurd!

Diki says: Does that mean I can insult the hell out of you, but what I write ISN'T insulting, until you label it so...?

Lucky says: yes, thats exactly correct! You can only insult me, if I deem it to be an insult! Thats not to say I wont recognize insulting intentions, but I choose whether or not I want to interpret it as a degrading slur and react to it. I have free will to make that call.

Diki says: I don't think so An insult is an insult from the moment it is written, and a sexist remark doesn't need someone else to call it that for it to be one...

Dikiwhere do you get your insult information from? I suggest you study Metaphysics or Spirituality or power of the mind books in general.

If someone says broccoli tastes awful, does that make it awful?
If someone says graffiti sprayed on a subway train is vulgar, does that make it vulgar?
If someone makes a remark about the lack of women composers, does that make it a sexist remark?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so is most everything else in the world. Nothing is beautiful or ugly, or tasteful or tasteless, or easy or hard, etc. Its all in how you, the individual views an object, a situation...OR...a remark!

Lucky

#278393 - 01/07/10 05:00 PM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So, if you say that the women musicians in your area are only in it for the money or the attention, does that meant that it is actually a FACT...? Apparently, not. Only if the women agree with you...!

And yet, you post it. Kind of makes you wonder why anyone would post anything, if it means nothing.
I certainly don't agree with it, I know of no woman that would agree with it, so it seems you have completely wasted both our times.

I suggest you get your nose out of those books, and rejoin the real world. Of course, that's only a put down if YOU take it as a put down. In actual fact, it's just photons coming off your computer screen. It means nothing...

#278394 - 01/07/10 05:51 PM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
So, if you say that the women musicians in your area are only in it for the money or the attention, does that meant that it is actually a FACT...? Apparently, not. Only if the women agree with you...!

And yet, you post it. Kind of makes you wonder why anyone would post anything, if it means nothing.
I certainly don't agree with it, I know of no woman that would agree with it, so it seems you have completely wasted both our times.

I suggest you get your nose out of those books, and rejoin the real world. Of course, that's only a put down if YOU take it as a put down. In actual fact, it's just photons coming off your computer screen. It means nothing...

Diki,

I greatly admire your intellect, but aside from that, would you answer me WHY...

1) you have to be "right" about everything, and

2) why you have to have the "last word" in every posting, and mostly......

3) why you're never "wrong" in any of these threads that you enter in to?

Lucky

#278395 - 01/07/10 08:38 PM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Behind every great man there's a great woman.

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#278396 - 01/08/10 12:29 PM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Diki Offline

So, Lucky, you are trying to tell me that YOU are wrong, you AREN'T trying to have the last word, and that you don't ever believe YOUR opinion is correct?

Didn't think so...

Seems we have a lot more in common that you would like, eh?

#278397 - 01/08/10 01:35 PM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Diki...I never thought you weren't a regular, OK kind of a guy. I just wish you wouldn't take postings in here and play Devil's advocate with them. You seem to have a desire to keep others in a holding pattern somewhere in an imaginary "penalty box" because they dare to write something you don't agree with.

Speaking for myself (and I'm certain for others who have traveled down this same road), I don't appreciate putting pen to paper with my thoughts and then having them (what I write) manipulated and challenged for the sake of sport, and...spectator sport.

It was recently questioned why postings are slow lately. I don't doubt that those who prey off others posts (example: my "God" post) do a lot of damage to the sought-after easy flow of conversation. We already know of some members who stated that they've had it with being taken through the wringer on much of what they post.

As far as who's right and who's wrong, what keyboard is better, can the Audya play a sus/4th, are women better at music then men, etc. I couldn't give two hoots about it.
There IS no right or wrong. There are only opinions. And, speaking for myself, I would like to state an opinion or a view without having to go into battle over it.

You're a smart guy...I'm sure you get my drift.

Lucky

#278398 - 01/08/10 04:07 PM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Diki Offline

Smart enough to see that you are playing a double standard, here.

YOUR opinion isn't fair game, but mine IS?

Bottom line is, what kind of forum would this place be if, no matter WHAT anyone posted, good, bad, erroneous or indifferent, NO-ONE (because I'm SURE you aren't just singling me out as the only one that isn't supposed to respond, are you? ) was allowed or even OUGHT to comment on it...?

You are honestly telling me you've NEVER responded to a post you disagree with? Please...

If you want to air your opinion and have NO-ONE refute it (or agree with it - after all, what's the difference?), go outside your back door and speak to the wind... Otherwise, should you choose to post that opinion here, you are going to get people that agree AND disagree with you chiming in. THAT'S what a forum is for. Debate, consensus, agreement or disagreement. You honestly expect people to NOT disagree with you if they feel that way? Or even agree with you. After all, that's an 'opinion' too, isn't it...?

You are disagreeing with me, here and now. Allow others the same rights you take for yourself...

#278399 - 01/08/10 09:45 PM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Diki..I dont even know what youre talking about anymore. Your strategy of manipulation, distortion, aggression and attrition against those you view as an opponent is starting to come across. Youve rewritten the whole play so that now the characters look nothing like they did in the opening act.

Im going to say this as nice as I can here. You dont seem to be one that I can have a reasonable and adult conversation with. Youre also coming across as a bit neurotic at this point, so why dont I just back off real slow? Lets consider you to be the winner of this discussion, but please, also consider therapy for this need you seem to have for confrontation. It wears people down to the point you start to think twice before you post anything in here.

Lucky

#278400 - 01/09/10 01:33 AM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Diki Offline

Fortunately, apparently, as long as I don't consider you calling me neurotic is an insult, it ISN'T...

However, I'm pretty sure you wanted it to be!

You see how silly this can get?

#278401 - 01/09/10 04:30 AM Re: SZ membership: women vs. men?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Diki/Lucky-

I'm calling foul on both of you for hijacking my thread on why women don't participate more on this forum. As the creator of this thread, I get to have some small token (perhaps imagined) say about its direction.

Clearly, this isn't what I wanted...

You both have made good points about women/music, but now its becoming a pissing contest. You two don't agree on the recent few threads, you're not going to agree, its getting a bit personal and you're killing the thread. The content of the last few entries would be better suited to a private email exchange, so take it there. It's done, ok?

If you want to contribute specific to my original question, I'd welcome it, but this sideshow is quickly turning into a distraction.

No winners, no losers...I just want to get things back on track. Why women don't participate more in the Synth Zone...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 01-09-2010).]

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online