SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#278325 - 12/30/09 01:16 AM (OT) MP3 Player Question...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Gang-

Got a Sandisk Sansa 4GB with the extra 4GB expansion slot for Christmas. I'd been using a Sandisk m240 (1 GB). MP3 players have come a long way, lol...

My question involves a performance issue when using it through my Bose L1. I'm hearing a consistent pausing during playback. Not exactly skipping because no part of the song is actually skipped, but each tune will seem to "hang up" for just a second then continue.

I'm running into the Bose with a Y adapter that connects to a 1/4" adapter into the mixer. I doubt its the Bose because I've use it every day and haven't encountered any problems whatsoever.

I talked to Mousekiller (Gary) and we both thought at first that something had messed up when I transferred the tunes from my home computer. I've ruled this out however as I can't get the issue to recreate itself in any other scenario except when with the Bose. The sales guy at Radio Shack said it could be cell phone or electronic interference within the building. Both times I've heard this issue I was in a Nursing Home, but my gut says this is NOT the issue.

I'm replacing the cables. I'll try it out later today.

Thoughts?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#278327 - 12/30/09 02:39 PM Re: (OT) MP3 Player Question...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sounds a lot more like an issue with the SansDisk mp3 player's ability to crossfade between tracks, or support gapless playback, both of which can change between different players...

I'd suggest another look at the MP3 player's manual, with special attention payed to any section to do with track playback.

Only other thing comes to mind is whether the skipping tracks are on the expansion card or not. If so, perhaps you have a compatibility issue (even though they are both SansDisk products) with the card. Is it an HD card?

#278328 - 12/31/09 09:17 AM Re: (OT) MP3 Player Question...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Bill, I tend to agree with Diki on this one. I've occasionally found a similar quirk with SMFs coming off a USB thumb drive, but not any other form of portable memory. Now you have me thinking - I'll have to check around now and see if I can get a more precise answer.

#278329 - 12/31/09 12:38 PM Re: (OT) MP3 Player Question...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
From my son - The Sandisk does not support Gapless songs. So, if its like a live album or something, then there will be a 2sec pause between each track. Have him listen to the songs from the Sandisk with headphones and have him look and see if its only when it moves from track to track. I have a Sandisk Fuse 8gb and this is a problem I have just learned to deal with on live albums that I rip. Sucks, but hey....

#278330 - 12/31/09 10:51 PM Re: (OT) MP3 Player Question...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I fixed my mp3 issue...

I was browsing through the master settings and found there were two options under the "volume" tab. Normal and the default-high.

I switched it to normal and dropped the output volume to 50%. All skips vanished totally.

I used it on two long gigs today and didn't have one issue.

Apparently there's some kind of limiter reaction when using it with the Bose L1...

Thanks for the help guys...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online