SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#277298 - 12/06/09 10:15 AM Re: OT: Spybot help needed ...
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Try downloading Malwarbytes installer program on another machine, then transfer to your machine via thumb drive or burn to CD and transfer.

You may have to go to a friend's house or perhaps the local library if you have but one machine at home, but it is well worth the effort.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#277299 - 12/06/09 11:05 AM Re: OT: Spybot help needed ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I really don't have access to a friend's PC close by, so I am 'biting the bullet' on this one and taking it to a PC repair shop ... I will be off-line for a few days ...
t.
PS ... after reading bout Hank, this 'problem' has become nothing more than a trivial annoyance ... funny how life works ...
BE KIND TO EACH OTHER
t.

#277300 - 12/06/09 01:01 PM Re: OT: Spybot help needed ...
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Tony, if you do a Google search, you'll see there is some "step by step"
descriptions about how to manually remove this **** trojan.
Maybe worth a try if you did not already been through that part.

Cheer and good luck.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#277301 - 12/06/09 03:22 PM Re: OT: Spybot help needed ...
tony mads usa Offline

Gunnar ... I have tried some of those remedies to no avail ... actually, plan B is in effect ... I took the tower to a pc repair shop and talked to one of the techs ... it was going to be $80 to save everything - and they would not save my e-mail folder, and $80 to reinstall ... he suggested that I try to save everything .. so as I was coming home I figured I would stop at Best Buy ... I bought a 250GB "My Passport" external for $80 ... I will try to do all my own saves, and will have an external to use as a back up drive ...
I may try the reinstall myself also - I like to learn from these things - but I may need a 'tutorial' along the way ...
t.

#277302 - 12/06/09 04:14 PM Re: OT: Spybot help needed ...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Tony, my son works for Symantec, the Norton people. I forwarded this thread to him in hopes he contacts you with some helpful info

#277303 - 12/06/09 04:56 PM Re: OT: Spybot help needed ...
tony mads usa Offline

cass ... that's great ... thank you very much ...
right now I'm having trouble getting the external drive installed ... it runs fine up to the last 25 seconds, then seems to 'hang' ... my butt is getting sore sitting on this chair ...
t.

#277304 - 12/06/09 04:58 PM Re: OT: Spybot help needed ...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Tony - check your email. Andy says to download http://www.combofix.org/ This will get the machine in a state where you can run Malwarebytes and get it cleaned. Combofix does three automated phases then its finished.

Cass
734-285-1170

#277305 - 12/06/09 05:00 PM Re: OT: Spybot help needed ...
tony mads usa Offline

cass ... that's great ... thank you very much ...
right now I'm having trouble getting the external drive installed ... it runs fine up to the last 25 seconds, then seems to 'hang' ... my butt is getting sore sitting on this chair ...
t.

#277306 - 12/06/09 09:27 PM Re: OT: Spybot help needed ...
tony mads usa Offline

SUCCESS!!!
Ya' know ... with all the BS that goes on in this forum, - and we oftimes don't hesitate to 'stick a hot poker in someone's eye' over something silly, - when one of us has a problem, the outpouring of help and support is really tremendous ...
I need to thank all of you who offered me advice during this 'problem' that I had with the pc virus, but mostly to cass and his son Andy who really stepped to the plate and hit a 'home run' for me ...
For cass to step in was one thing, but for his son to do likewise was far beyond expectations ...
And if the rest of you are smart, save that link to combofix.org ... All I had to do was D/L that software and let it run ... it look about 4 hours and I got a 12 page report of what it did (if I could understand half the stuff) - but it deleted/cleaned a ton of files, even one on the external drive I already had on the pc ...
I was then able to install and run malwarebytes, which the virus was stopping previously ...
Again, thanks everyone, for now I will sleep well tonight ...

t.

#277307 - 12/06/09 09:29 PM Re: OT: Spybot help needed ...
tony mads usa Offline

dble post ... sorry ... I'm tired ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 12-06-2009).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online