SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#277272 - 12/07/09 05:22 AM Re: Dmo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
I rather play a clarinet than a hobo.

Wouldn't mind being able to play the oboe, though.

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#277273 - 12/07/09 05:25 AM Re: Dmo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
I rather play a clarinet than a hobo.

Wouldn't mind being able to play the oboe, though.

Regards

Taike

Whatever. You knew what I meant :-))))

(Not my fault we do call that thing a hobo, and sometimes my automated translation fails. Especially on Mondays. :-) )

#277274 - 12/07/09 05:39 AM Re: Dmo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Yeah well, whatever...What a way to NOT take ownership of a bullshit argument...use someone else's misfortune as an excuse.

Smooth!!

miden ... that was low ... I KNOW chas didn't mean it in that way ... he was just trying to put things in proper perspective ...

t.

#277275 - 12/07/09 06:00 AM Re: Dmo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by Burkels:
Whatever. You knew what I meant :-))))

(Not my fault we do call that thing a hobo, and sometimes my automated translation fails. Especially on Mondays. :-) )

Just couldn't resist, Bart.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#277276 - 12/07/09 07:02 AM Re: Dmo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Quote:
Originally posted by Burkels:
Agreed! I use my E-80 as an arranger(!) at home. For fun. Or to get ideas, or to have a quick, rough, first "sketch" of a song I want to play. Some people might think it's nuts to use Roland's current TOTL as a sketchbook, but hey, that's how I use it. Besides, I have kids too and I notice how they get more enthusiastic to learn to play music if it's accompanied(!) by an arranger.

Other than you, I don't think bribing my kids with a laptop (yeah, they wish LOL) to get them to learn how to play the piano is the right way to go. They don't WANT to learn how to play the piano.
But if my arranger keyboard can at least trigger some interest in how music is made, what chords are, why a chord is named "7th", and even learning to recognize the difference between a clarinet and a hobo, then that's fine with me.

On stage however (yes I use the beast on stage) I use the great sounds in the E-80 combined with its extensive capabilities where it comes to layering, adding effects, using User Programs, thus enabling me to switch "lightning fast" between setups for each song my band plays. In that "role", my arranger is no longer an arranger. I would never want to "gig" using it as an arranger. The only times I use the arranger "in public", is when I demo the instrument for someone who wants to know what this thing is all about

That was exactly my point Burkels. The arranger keyboard is so flexible you can use it for whatever musical need you have without ever switcing on the 'stop start button' which is why i s suggested that musicians get blinkered simply by the word arranger. It works just as well as any other keyboard on stage in a live setting for 90% of any users needs

#277277 - 12/10/09 09:07 AM Re: Dmo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm closer to the Chas way of thinking when it comes to jazz performance.

But, as a result of injuries this year to my left arm, I wouldn't be working if it weren't for an arranger.

My long-time partner and mentor, Tom Johnston always told me: work as often as you can. I never wanted to be a "week-end warrier". Instead, I don't watch sports, drink, chase woment (anymore, at least), do home repair, etc. What I do is use the time I would devote to those activities to play. And to do that, I have to make some concessions. There isn't enough work to just play 50's, 60's B-3. But, there is enough to stay active in that art form, which is what I prefer.

I have become a generalist. While there are tunes, styles and venues I simply won't play,
I happily play at restaurants, taking a back seat to a ham sandwich.

Since my injury, my arranger has kept me working. It's now a tool I need. That being said, I'm working to get better and not need to rely on arrangers as much. If my left hand improves to the extent that I can play instrumental guitar, I'll split my jobs between the two. I have played a few of my B-3 jobs (on a C-1, actually), with a bass player (my oldest son) and drummer (grandson), relying on block chords on my left hand and conventional right hand techniques.

Play what works for you. But PLAY! I'm in my 53rd year of being a 4 night a week plus player.

And, everyday, I'm eternally grateful to be able to do that.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 12-10-2009).]

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online