SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#277262 - 12/06/09 10:14 AM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I saw Elton John do a one-man show, with backing tracks generated by Yamaha Diskclavier (I think). Could have been an out-of-site sequencer. Makes him not a pro.
LOTS of headliners regularly do their hits with backing tracks. First one I saw in person was Bobby Goldsboro during a taping of the Johnny Cash tv show in Nashville many ears ago. He strummed the guitar and the "band" played. But there was no band.
I do get to see lots of pros though. They are usually in the audience wanting my job.
If the electricity went out, I'd have to get out an acoustic guitar. Never was a piano player, I'm an ARRANGER Player. I could fake it on an organ with no acc, but not for long on a piano.
Interesting topic though, Chas. The old purist theme.
I think the reception has been better than if I went to a jazz organist forum and started an arranger discussion.
DonM

#277263 - 12/06/09 11:59 AM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
C'mon Don. You know I respect you as much as anyone on SZ, but how does anything in my posts translate into an assertion that "Elton John is not a Pro"? First, I don't equate the use of backing tracks (as used by 'Superstars' in smaller venue productions) the same as an arranger performace. I'm guessing he was probably playing acoustic piano at that show. BTW, did you read about the really nasty reception Britney Spears got in Australia or UK, can't remember which, for lip-syncing her so-called performance. As a general rule, I'd say that most audiences want to hear the real thing.

As far as your imagined reception of an arranger player on a jazz organ forum (if one existed), wouldn't that just reinforce my reasons for not wishing to use an arranger in a jazz venue? It's starting to seem like an opinion has to pass muster with certain people less the poster risks getting trashed.

Seems like a good time to vacate this thread since it seems that everything I say is going to be translated into something I didn't say or assingned meanings that everyone knows are bogus. Since I have three arrangers, I would think that under normal circumstances, that would qualify me to have an opinion on an arranger forum. Apparently others don't see it that way. Oh well, what's new.

chas

#277264 - 12/06/09 01:37 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
First, I don't equate the use of backing tracks (as used by 'Superstars' in smaller venue productions) the same as an arranger performace.
chas

[/B]

What!!? Isn't it essentially the same thing?

If you advocate it's okay to use backing tracks, well then, aren't arranger tracks exactly the same?? pre-arranged and recorded backing tracks?

There are an awful lot of arranger players who also play a FULL keyboard along with whatever they have set as the backing. Even if only bass and drums.

Seems to me you may be contradicting yourself here.

Dennis

#277265 - 12/06/09 02:23 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:

Seems to me you may be contradicting yourself here.

Dennis

Dennis, you know, I really don't give a damn. Reading Don's post about HankB's plight (which is hopefully, temporary) made me realize how trivial and insignificant this little ideological argument is. Let's all just hope for the greater good, which is that Hank survives this latest ordeal and goes on to a positive prognosis.

Peace.

chas

#277266 - 12/06/09 03:17 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yeah well, whatever...What a way to NOT take ownership of a bullshit argument...use someone else's misfortune as an excuse.

Smooth!!

#277267 - 12/06/09 04:57 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
[This message has been edited by Tom Cavanaugh (edited 12-06-2009).]

[This message has been edited by Tom Cavanaugh (edited 12-06-2009).]

Tom

#277268 - 12/06/09 08:13 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
124 Offline

Whoa there, lads.

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Seems like a good time to vacate this thread . . .

chas

The key phrase being "this thread". It doesn't read like a total farewell to me.

#277269 - 12/06/09 08:14 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
124 Offline

Marvellous. I post my last comment and Tom has pulled his. Makes mine redundant, I guess.

#277270 - 12/07/09 04:09 AM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Again, nice video. If my eyes were closed, I would've sworn it was a CD.

You own a MONO cd-player? I will never understand why any company bothers to post a MONO video on Youtube when it comes to promoting a musical instrument.

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl
Happy owner of a Roland E-80 V2

#277271 - 12/07/09 04:22 AM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
1. Personal opinion - watching a guy making very complex CD-like music which could not possibly be played by one individual, by triggering phrases and pushing buttons seems very "fake, plastic, and artificial" to me, especially when presented to the public as a musical performance. Others differ, but that's MY OPINION. You have yours and believe in it strongly, yet you jump all over me for having one.

Agreed! I use my E-80 as an arranger(!) at home. For fun. Or to get ideas, or to have a quick, rough, first "sketch" of a song I want to play. Some people might think it's nuts to use Roland's current TOTL as a sketchbook, but hey, that's how I use it. Besides, I have kids too and I notice how they get more enthusiastic to learn to play music if it's accompanied(!) by an arranger.

Other than you, I don't think bribing my kids with a laptop (yeah, they wish LOL) to get them to learn how to play the piano is the right way to go. They don't WANT to learn how to play the piano.
But if my arranger keyboard can at least trigger some interest in how music is made, what chords are, why a chord is named "7th", and even learning to recognize the difference between a clarinet and a hobo, then that's fine with me.

On stage however (yes I use the beast on stage) I use the great sounds in the E-80 combined with its extensive capabilities where it comes to layering, adding effects, using User Programs, thus enabling me to switch "lightning fast" between setups for each song my band plays. In that "role", my arranger is no longer an arranger. I would never want to "gig" using it as an arranger. The only times I use the arranger "in public", is when I demo the instrument for someone who wants to know what this thing is all about

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl
Happy owner of a Roland E-80 V2

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online