Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#277232 - 12/04/09 02:08 PM Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY

#277233 - 12/04/09 03:09 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
This is not an arranger-bashing post. I love arrangers.....just not for gigging or playing serious music. This video, as good as it is (in demonstrating what the S910 is capable of), reminds me once again why I have never used an arranger on a gig and probably never will. As soon as the 'big band' started, all I could think was, OMG, the chickens (children) of yesteryear's home (auto-accompaniment) organist have come home to roost. I don't think I've ever heard such perfect arrangements before. Unfortunately for me, that's the problem. It's almost like it defines artificiality, fake, plastic. I guess if vocals are the main focus of your act, then I guess they would be acceptable. But if instrumentals are your thing (sorry Ian), I don't think I could sit through a full set as a patron, no matter what your playing skills. That's probably why in all these years I have never seen one in a bar/club/upscale restaurant/church/school.

This may sound like bashing but it's really not. Most of you know my history with arranger kb's. But it's like the separation of church and state, except in this case, professional use and home/amateur/compositional tool use. Will I buy another arranger? Absolutely. I am an inveterate technology junky and although behind the curve in terms of component technology, the technology behind the successful integration of software and hardware necessary to produce a TOTL/MOTL arranger is nothing short of amazing.

Don't bother rebutting with all the old economic arguments for using them in OMB situations. I've heard them all before and I actually agree (on that basis). So as not to start this thread down another road, let me say that I thought the video did what it was intended to do and did it very well.

chas

#277234 - 12/04/09 03:57 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I understand your views, Chas, and respect them wholeheartedly. All I can say, is I'm glad I don't quite feel the same way.

I don't/wouldn't play my S910 in the manner of the demonstrator, even when I am demoing.

On a gig, I never use factory intros, nor do I use factory endings...in fact, I don't use factory styles per se...I edit and re-assemble styles to my own liking.

So, I make my own styles, write out my own arrangements of cover tunes(of all genres)and manage to achieve my own distinctive sound on an arranger.

Is my my audience hearing me?

I believe they are...I'm playing the melody, and I'm directing the band, "live", through my chord changes, and I am adding another part via my left hand...I'm playing.

I'm sure there are many other SZ forumites who do the same.

That's what makes arranger keyboards so darn cool!

Now, would I would go to listen to just any arranger player? I wouldn't go to see buddy in the video, but I have gone to hear a friend of mine play arranger at his local haunt.

He plays a lot like I do, and I enjoy listening to his arrangements, and his take on tunes, some of which are ones I play.

He packs the place, and I can say with all modesty, I do the same when and where I play.

I'm sorry you wouldn't be there, so I could send you down a beer, but I do have to say, my arranger gigs have been some of the most satisfying times I've played.

I enjoy playing in a group as well; probably just as much, but in a different sort of way...I enjoy the interaction...and, I play fairly often in this manner.

We must remember these are home keyboards, designed to make as much noise as possible with one finger chords, and flashy intros and endings....they are fun for most people.

But, some of us are brave and foolish enough to take them out, and make a living playing them.

Bottom line...I use an instrument that could be a sin to the purist, but it is me I am trying to please, not the purist. I make no apologies. Period.

I like, and understand your views, and I do agree with some of them, but, as you can see, not all of them.

I know you're not being a curmudgeon...you're too young for that , and I'm glad you brought up this topic...things are/were a little quiet without the D&D turbulence.

Ian

#277235 - 12/04/09 04:20 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
cgiles Offline

You know, Ian. Since Jerry's original post had NO theme, I guess we were/are free to take it down any road we choose .

chas

#277236 - 12/04/09 04:37 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
Jerryghr Offline

I don't understand French, but I think what he said was the same same thing you guys just said.

Jerry

#277237 - 12/04/09 05:56 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerryghr:
I don't understand French, but I think what he said was the same same thing you guys just said.

Jerry

I don't understand it either, but I think he was bashing the Audya.

Ian

#277238 - 12/04/09 07:34 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
Jerryghr Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

Ian

Now that is funny!!!

#277239 - 12/04/09 07:43 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
cgiles Offline

Sheesh! You guys need to brush up on your French. He was saying "Bring back Diki". At the very end I think he yelled, "Yamaha sucks" .

chas

#277240 - 12/04/09 10:49 PM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

Ian

Ian,

You guys need to get a proper education,I have a Master Degree in French, I understood every word and you are correct Ian he was slagging off the Audya and Korg, you need to listen very carefully to his words and watch his hand movements.

Tony

PS I also have a degree in centigrade and fahreneit
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#277241 - 12/05/09 01:05 AM Re: Démo live : Yamaha PSR-S910 - Arnaud Delauney
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
i hear what you say chas but that has nothing to do with whether you might use an arranger in a live gig or not. You could take your arranger out and play just keys , or use keys and a drum track or use it to trigger a click track for a drummer or some other preprogrammed sequence just like other gigging musicians do.You could use the arranger functions in their fullness or brfeak it down to just the elements you needed. For example i have some phrase pads that i have on my PA1X where i can trigger off a sequence or phrase by tapping the pad. even without the instrument being in arranger play IE the preprgrammed arranger styles are not active . so for example i could be playing a song like Earth wind and fires 'September ' with those nice brass stabs and i can trigger them from the key pad whilst playing live without having to change sounds on the main keyboard. Arranger keyboards are just so incredibly flexible but it is our imaginations that are limited and the fact that we are tunnel visioned in our thinking.

Most of the biggest contemporary bands performing today use some or all of the above functions in their performance and an arranger can do them all and so much more (but it doesnt have to). I know you are not bashing arrangers but i dont think enough of us give them justice either on par with any other keyboard that we might use. An arranger does not limit us to auto accompaniment in th left hand and solo's with the right. It actually gives us so much more choice than that and perhaps even over its workstation cousin.

Listen to this Korg demonstrator. The bottom example on this page is the long in the tooth Korg PA1X and the others are from other korg pa keyboards and taking us right up to the oasys and M3. Close your eyes and just listen then ask yourself whether you would feel anyway about taking any of these instruments on a live gig with you. Listen to them all .http://www.andreas-gundlach.de/korg/korg.html

[This message has been edited by spalding (edited 12-05-2009).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online