SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#276004 - 11/19/09 06:19 PM The Great British Synth Documentary
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
This looks interesting...10 parts...not about arrangers, but, it may be somethin to watch for those who delve into the synth part of their instruments, and for those who just happen to like synthesizers(Squeak comes to mind).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTXPpsz9LP8

There are a few off-color words within the documentary... so it's not "office appropriate."

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-19-2009).]

#276005 - 11/19/09 11:48 PM Re: The Great British Synth Documentary
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Fantastic, thanks Ian.

#276006 - 11/20/09 01:49 AM Re: The Great British Synth Documentary
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I was in the office of Jerry ash and Paul ash (Sam Ash music store) when they ordered their first synthesizer. When I first listened and the time following I was intrigued, it was different, so different.

I believe that there is room for all innovations in creating music, there is our variety. For me the natural will always be my favorite. I’ve enjoy playing my keyboards over the years but when I put my guitar in my hands something very special happens – I find the true me.

John C.

#276007 - 11/20/09 01:50 AM Re: The Great British Synth Documentary
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Thank you, Ian. Very interesting.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#276008 - 11/20/09 02:14 AM Re: The Great British Synth Documentary
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
For me the natural will always be my favorite. I’ve enjoy playing my keyboards over the years but when I put my guitar in my hands something very special happens – I find the true me.

John C.

John I know exactly what you mean. There is something very special about playing a wooden instrument with vibrating wire strings. I have a deep love for my guitars ( and I do have quite a few of them lol )Though I also do love playing my keyboards using a weighted controller that gives me a similar sense of satisfaction. You just can't beat wood I guess.

#276009 - 11/20/09 05:20 AM Re: The Great British Synth Documentary
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I can safely say that only a few electronic instruments gave me tactile feedback similar to what I get from playing the guitar.

The Hammond B-3...considered by some, to be the first synthesizer...there was just something about the keybed, and the whirling set of tone-wheels that made you feel like it was alive under your fingers.

The Polymoog...not the most reliable synth, but it's touch sensitive keybed (a first for synths, as far as I know) was about the best synth action I've ever played, including any new ones.

The warm and rich sound from the analog oscillator's helped a lot as well.

The Fender Rhodes, and Wurlitzer electric pianos...not synths, but electromechanical instruments that rivaled the acoustic piano for tactile feedback and expressiveness of tone...they sounded at their best through a chorus pedal and a tube amplifier.

Roland Jupiter 8 (still have one)...offers an immediacy that still escapes today's synthesizers...the knobs and sliders make you feel directly connected to the sound, which, like the Polymoog, is analog and considerably impressive.

These instruments will always have a special place in my heart, because of the way they made me feel when playing them.

My little PSR-S910 is starting to get to that status...it just makes me want to sit and play....the SA voices like Sax, Concert Guitar, Jazz and Rock Rotary organs, really make me feel connected to the sounds....they respond naturally to technique.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-20-2009).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online