SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#275919 - 11/17/09 01:08 PM best laptop for recording
RAY044 Offline

hi there, just wanted to get some suggestions ,what laptop is good for recording ,the sony or the apple ,i was considering sony for the price.please give suggestions

#275920 - 11/17/09 01:31 PM Re: best laptop for recording
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
The Macintosh is noted for rather seemless audio recording abilities.

That Sony is PC based. This is a different world. One has to be prepared for things that may or may not work as advertised. For example, an aftermarket soundcard will be a must, but even though the soundcard you choose will say that it "works with Windows whatever OS" it is no guarantee that you won't have problems on a specific machine, or set of drivers, or softwares, or the way the laptop designer assigned the non-changeable IRQ tables.

Then there is the newness of Win7 and the need for some sound device companies to write compatible drivers.

Do your homework well concerning the sound device and the chosen laptop model before spending any money at all.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#275921 - 11/17/09 01:52 PM Re: best laptop for recording
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ray, so many things go into computer recording that it's difficult to isolate or recommend a laptop without considering them. Primarily, there is the audio interface (USB or Firewire?) and then the software. Then there is your basic familiarity with the OS (Mac or PC?). Then there is the question of available plugins, preferably freebies. I know that there are lots for PC's, not sure about MACs.

If you go the PC route, Sony's are certainly TOTL but you can probably get something less expensive that will do the same job. Look at the 'usual suspects', Toshiba, HP, Gateway, etc. Stick with INTEL which seems to be more compatible with certain sw apps. Get the best (quad core?) CPU you can afford and at least a '7200' HD. Others will chime in, I'm sure. Good Luck. If you end up going the PC route, REAPER is one of the most sophisticated of the inexpensive recording programs. Come to think of it, there is also a MAC version. It's a little advanced for a beginner, however, and you need to make sure it's compatible with your audio interface.

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 11-17-2009).]

#275924 - 11/18/09 07:44 AM Re: best laptop for recording
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess I've been very lucky over the years when it comes to recording. I never had a problem until switching to Windows XP-Pro, which has so much running in the background that it causes latency problems. I downloaded a free copy of Asio 4-All, which solved the latency problem.

I sincerely believe that most of the recording problems folks encounter have more to do with their lack of knowledge about the computer's operating system, and recording software, than anything else.

Over the years I've used Audacity (free version), Acid Pro 3.0, Acid Pro 4.0 and Mix-Craft 4, all of which do an outstanding job.

One of the secrets to success, however, was to disable everything that is running in computer's background before beginning a recording project. This prevents lots of problems.

Next, purchase a good headphone set, one that fits comfortably and seats firmly around the ears. This prevents any possible of audio looping and feedback.

A high-quality mic for vocals is also a must have item. You cannot expect good vocals from an inexpensive mic. Keep in mind, however, that you DO NOT have to spend a fortune on the mic. There have been several posts on this forum about mics costing under $100 that provide outstanding vocals. The Samson Q7 is among them, and it sells for under $70.

Most of the time, the computer, PC and Mac, have more than adequate sound cards. I've never needed an external sound card to produce excellent recordings--even on the laptops(I own 3).

On the newer laptops, the input circuitry is usually electronically switched between Line and Mic, which usually share the same input jack. Some still have separate Line and Mic jacks, but it's unusual.

Hope this helps,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#275925 - 11/18/09 10:26 PM Re: best laptop for recording
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Mac is the way, honest, I have one and 2 PCs, and as soon as they begin to "die", will be replaced with a Mac.
Never slow downs, virus, spam-ware, pop ups, no preloaded with useless trial software that only takes a good space in the Hard drive.
Until the PC computer like HP, Compact, SOny, etc....stop loading JUNK in "new" computers, I know, is with the purpose to sell more software.

Some people say, the Macs cost more than PCs, well, I say NOT, think about it, PC people HAS to buy Anti-virus software and renew it every year, same with Anti spam-ware, anti pop ups, not counting the ENDLESS hours trying to fix or install this software not counting that NOT because it has Anti-Virus means that you can not get one, that's why sometimes you need to buy not one but 2 of those.
You see, when you buy a MAC, that is it....so, after all that, you became aware that the Apple Mac is least expensive, that makes it a no brainier.

IF you want to gig out or record in your studio, there is another option without the need of a computer (Mac or PC), simply get the Zoom R16, is 3 on 1, a Digital recorder, sound card (in case you want to use a computer), and also a Surface controller to "control" the Audio software you may be using, all that for less than $400.00.

------------------
mdorantes

#275926 - 11/19/09 01:12 AM Re: best laptop for recording
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
This is not a Mac verses PC debate, plus most of the negative comments Mac users make about PC’s, and PC users make about Mac’s were discredited years ago. (There is plenty of free anti-virus software (You most certainly don’t need to buy a package unless you are paranoid) out there which will suit a PC fine, and Mac users are in such small numbers that it is not worth Virus writers targeting them)

The best advice I can give is to get the most powerful laptop you can afford, (Forget about whether it is a PC, Mac or Linux) and that will run all the programs you wish to use. (Remember computers become obsolete almost as soon as you have bought them, so the more powerful you have the longer it will last you)

Tip: Do a search for “Audio recording on a computer” on the Web and you will find plenty of advice to help you decide what will suit you.

Hope this helps

Bill

#275927 - 11/19/09 01:18 AM Re: best laptop for recording
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Question:
I know this is not what is being asked here but wouldn’t a stand-alone recording unit do a better job than a laptop?

John C.

#275928 - 11/19/09 03:01 AM Re: best laptop for recording
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
As usual with these types of questions, not enough background information is given. One key thing is something Manuel touched on; will the computer be used for things other than recording? If not, and given your apparent novice experience in recording, I think he may be correct in that an 'all-in-one' box like the Zoom R16 would be a great starting point and likely yield the quickest 'good' results. It's definitely the cheapest way to get started. Don't forget Gary's good advice on the Mic's. Get a large condenser for vocals. Do some serious research (study) on home recording before you start spending wildly (most of us like to buy first, and learn later, not a good idea).

chas

#275929 - 11/19/09 07:14 AM Re: best laptop for recording
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Sony VIAO user here.

Personally I don't think it matters what laptop you use (windows or mac) so long as you buy a Sound card to go with it that supports ASIO. The factory sound cards are not suitable for musicians at all.

I use a PCMCIA card in my VIAO and never had a moments trouble ever.

Regards
James

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online