SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#275494 - 11/10/09 07:32 AM Audya Nuts
Tony Hughes Offline

Hi,

This has been on Youtube for some time have you all seen it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8zNfqdLrf0&feature=related

Regards

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#275495 - 11/10/09 07:55 AM Re: Audya Nuts
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I can see (hear) why this instrument is such a heart-breaker for some, because it sounds simply awesome.

If you want the "live" sound, this is the one.

Hopefully, all the little quirky things will get sorted out.

I can why Don likes this board...Country would really have a natural "right in the room with the band" sound.

The guy demoing does a nice job...very upbeat and professional.

#275496 - 11/10/09 08:15 AM Re: Audya Nuts
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
If you want the "live" sound, this is the one....
.. The guy demoing does a nice job...very upbeat and professional.

This is the real good thing about Ketron arrangers, it sounds live and are very
"band alike", good volume balance, and the great bass and drums who make the final
touch at it. It's sure a keyboard for live playing.

And yeah, the guy demoing not only play well, but also put some humor into it.
That's the way to go. Nice.

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#275497 - 11/10/09 09:16 AM Re: Audya Nuts
ianmcnll Offline

It all depends on if we want/need that "live" sound...I chose Yamaha for it's lovely refined and slightly compressed sound.

As I said to someone earlier today, we all drive different cars....they meet our needs, and our style and sometimes, they support our egos as well...hence the luxury cars, and people buying SUV's that will never even go off the pavement.

If "live" sound works for you, the Audya seems to be the ticket to ride...it is more "live" sounding than Roland and Korg as well...but, sometimes that type of sound is not as important to some people...I'm one of them, as I'm sure there are many more.

Ian

#275498 - 11/10/09 09:35 AM Re: Audya Nuts
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Good sounding instrument overall but that Sax @5:12 was, frankly, awful. I know Diki hates that reverb-drenched Korg Sax that I use a lot, but at least from time to time you can tell that it's a sax I'm trying to emulate. Frankly, the Yamaha SA sax sounds much more authentic when played alone but I just like the sound of the Korg better when played in a mix (depending of the type of tune, of course). Like Ian says, it's not a matter of which is best, but what works best for you. Overall, a very full-sounding instrument with great drums and guitar. I've never been a fan of Ketron styles but that's probably because of the genre's I favor.

chas

#275499 - 11/10/09 10:14 AM Re: Audya Nuts
ianmcnll Offline

Yeah, the Audya's sax isn't the best I've heard.

The idea behind having those alternate sounds, especially on an arranger, is so we can pretend to be the Sax player, and perhaps add a part in our music that a real sax player would actually put there if he was playing in our "virtual band".

So we try to play it idiomatically so it sounds reasonably like a sax.

This is all the better when the Sax sound on our keyboard is pleasing to listen to, as well as reasonably responsive to playing technique.

Sadly, an unpleasant sax sound, can't be rescued by any amount of technique and/or reverb.

The Audya's sax, at least the one that was demoed in this clip, is in this category...of course, it seemed more of a sax section sound, and there seemed to be another sound layered with it.

The Audya must have better sax sounds than that one.

Very few, if any, keyboard players, can emulate a sax player exactly...David Sancious comes close (he uses a breath controller) but, for the majority of us, all we can do is use the sound as expressively as possible, and treat it as another color we can use from our arranger's palette of sounds.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-10-2009).]

#275500 - 11/10/09 11:27 AM Re: Audya Nuts
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Good sounding instrument overall but that Sax @5:12 was, frankly, awful. I know Diki hates that reverb-drenched Korg Sax that I use a lot, but at least from time to time you can tell that it's a sax I'm trying to emulate. Frankly, the Yamaha SA sax sounds much more authentic when played alone but I just like the sound of the Korg better when played in a mix (depending of the type of tune, of course). Like Ian says, it's not a matter of which is best, but what works best for you. Overall, a very full-sounding instrument with great drums and guitar. I've never been a fan of Ketron styles but that's probably because of the genre's I favor.

chas

Who's Diki???
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#275501 - 11/10/09 11:30 AM Re: Audya Nuts
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Audya has some excellent sax sounds. This wasn't one of them.
DonM

#275502 - 11/10/09 11:40 AM Re: Audya Nuts
ianmcnll Offline

That's good to hear, Don...I couldn't imagine they'd fall that far down on the Sax sounds, when everything else seems to be of very high quality....methinks buddy-at-the-keys just didn't look hard enough.

Are there a lot of Country styles, or Pop/Swing/R&B that will also work well in that genre?

As someone said on another topic, the styles don't seem to have a dramatic difference between variations.

That works well for some, including , me...I like the style to do a nice logical transition from part to part, and I sometimes have to edit to get the smoothness I want.

How are the Audya styles in this respect?

Ian

#275503 - 11/10/09 11:59 AM Re: Audya Nuts
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
There are more styles suitable for country than on any other keyboard I've seen.
Also very good jazz/swing, ballads and r&r.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online