SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#275286 - 11/08/09 08:02 AM Re: Two songs
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Guys, I really appreciate the input. It is so hard to be objective, especially when listening to yourself. There are things I like a lot about both instruments, but they are different in many ways.
I may post a couple more examples of the same songs recorded on the Audya and the E50/80.
It doesn't seem to make any difference at all to the live audiences. They could care less as long as it sounds decent and it's something they can recognize and can dance to.
DonM

#275287 - 11/08/09 08:25 AM Re: Two songs
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Hey Don...
You're right about the audience's perspective.

After listening to both versions, I prefer (but only slightly) the E50. To my ears, the E50 guitar is "warmer" and not as "bright" or "sharp" as the Audya. I'm sure with more experience and tweaking on the Audya to "Masonize" it...my opinion will change.

The VH on the E50 seems a bit more pronounced but not overdone. Were the harmonies both onboard or did you use and external harmonizer?

Great job on both.
Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 11-08-2009).]

#275288 - 11/08/09 08:25 AM Re: Two songs
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
It doesn't seem to make any difference at all to the live audiences. They could care less as long as it sounds decent and it's something they can recognize and can dance to.
DonM

You hit the nail right on the head, Don...I get pretty well the same audience reaction whether I use the Tyros3, or the S910.

Of course, in your case, you have different brands of arrangers, but the idea is still the same.

I may get one, or maybe two, that can hear some sort of difference, and they are usually musicians and/or people who always come to my gigs.

The bottom line, is that the instrument pleases you, and feels right to play.

#275289 - 11/08/09 08:40 AM Re: Two songs
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ian, I used Yamahas for many years, also Technics and almost all the Ketrons. The only bad reaction I ever had was when I had the Korg PA800. People were asking me what I did to screw up my sound.
In all fairness, it was the very first unit to reach the US, which the rep brought in and handed to me at the store. They later issued an OS update that made it sound better, but mine was long gone by then. I had previously had a PA80 and it sounded great, but both had a big lack of style selection in the genres that I use most.
I WILL get to the bottom of this and decide which way to go, but I do enjoy the battle. And it keeps me open to new ways to do the same old songs.
On a similar note, I do learn new songs, but as a rule, they are greeted with apathy. Most of my audiences want to hear the golden oldies, which is what I am, I suppose.
DonM

#275290 - 11/08/09 02:22 PM Re: Two songs
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Ian, I used Yamahas for many years, also Technics and almost all the Ketrons. The only bad reaction I ever had was when I had the Korg PA800. People were asking me what I did to screw up my sound.
In all fairness, it was the very first unit to reach the US, which the rep brought in and handed to me at the store. They later issued an OS update that made it sound better, but mine was long gone by then. I had previously had a PA80 and it sounded great, but both had a big lack of style selection in the genres that I use most.
I WILL get to the bottom of this and decide which way to go, but I do enjoy the battle. And it keeps me open to new ways to do the same old songs.
On a similar note, I do learn new songs, but as a rule, they are greeted with apathy. Most of my audiences want to hear the golden oldies, which is what I am, I suppose.
DonM

It boggles my mind to hear about your 800 experience. You had A BAD BOARD my friend. Your style suits that board good too, as there as many whining steel guitar styles and other fabulous country type arrangements. I am not a big country player, but everything I play (Achy Breaky, Elvira, Country Roads, Release Me, King of the Road, On the Road again, Rocky Top, etc are amazing). But we all hear different, so I should give up trying to convince anyone anyway.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#275291 - 11/08/09 03:09 PM Re: Two songs
ianmcnll Offline

Put up a tune or two, Zuki, and let Don hear how the Korg handles Country music...or. send him an MP3 showcasing some of the styles.

I never get to hear Korg arrangers...they don't carry them in my territory, so all I get to hear are the on-line demos....I don't think even one of them was a Country tune.

I play a lot of Country, mostly the real old stuff (the "good stuff")...a lot Williams, Cramer, Cline, Charles...I call it "the other soul music".

I played in a country band for several years, when just starting out, and it taught me discipline...sometimes it's what you leave out that's more important than what you add in.

The leader in the band used to say to me, "Sprinkle a little pie-anna over the top, son."

Everybody has a turn and a place in a Country band....discipline reigns.

I generally skinny down my country styles.

My favorite group is "Asleep At the Wheel"...awesome!

#275292 - 11/08/09 03:28 PM Re: Two songs
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Ian....
I too like Asleep At The Wheel. A very unique group...impossible to duplicate as a OMB even with all the techno goodies.

Zuki and DonM are both pros...with very different styles and approaches to their material. Having met Don and watched him play, I can honestly say he is One Of A Kind.

I have also seen some of Zuki's videos and he has his stuff together with an excellent command of of KB. But...similar, they are not.

To me, that is the neat thing about what we do. We don't create cookie cutter music. To paraphrase PopEye. We Y'am what we Y'am.

Eddie

#275293 - 11/08/09 04:28 PM Re: Two songs
ianmcnll Offline

I get your drift, Eddie...I wouldn't want anyone sounding like me...especially on the same instrument.

We all work hard on making our playing styles unique, not only in how we approach the music, but also in the type of keyboard we choose, and how we use, or edit, the styles to give us our own stamp on the tunes.

I saw Asleep at the Wheel on a DVD the other evening...I think they were the back-up band for Merle Haggard, and they did a couple of tunes to open the show.

The piano player is terrific, and that lovely young lady with the "librarian" look, can sure play a mean guitar.

Simply the best Texas Swing band ever.

Ian

#275294 - 11/08/09 04:50 PM Re: Two songs
124 Offline

Here ya go, Ian. This is one of the country styles from my old Korg i30, this one's called "2beat Country" - I think it's stil in some sort of modified form in current Korgs.

Like yourself I do only a handful of country toons so I probably don't have the same need as DonM for a huge range of country styles. As Zuki said, though, the Korg is no slouch when it comes to country. I also think DonM must've had a bad 'un.
http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_mp3_...d=0&type=folder

#275295 - 11/08/09 05:19 PM Re: Two songs
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks 124...I can't seem to open the link...I get a blank page with "wrong file" in the upper left hand corner.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online