SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#275183 - 11/02/09 07:21 PM Yamaha S910 demos.........
Dnj Offline

#275184 - 11/02/09 08:29 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I like the SA Concert Guitar one the best...it is easily one of my favorite sounds on the S910, and it was also on the S900.

The S910 is a lovely instrument.

#275185 - 11/02/09 08:31 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
The S910 is a lovely instrument.

Ditto

#275186 - 11/02/09 08:53 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

It is a truly great MOTL keyboard, and the only hesitation I have in giving it five out of five stars is that, ideally, I’d like to give it six.

#275187 - 11/03/09 03:49 AM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
It is a truly great MOTL keyboard, and the only hesitation I have in giving it five out of five stars is that, ideally, I’d like to give it six.

I can't argue with you that...great post!!

#275188 - 11/03/09 05:20 AM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I'm lovin my s910, Yamaha has done an outstanding job with this board especially at the price point..............and ditto to Ian and Donny.

P.S. Donny the Yanks wanted to take back the series so they can win it in the new stadium

#275189 - 11/03/09 10:25 AM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Donny the Yanks wanted to take back the series so they can win it in the new stadium

I wouldn't have it any other way Steve.....Wednesday Night baby it's all over!!

#275190 - 11/03/09 12:32 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Jeez, you guys need a Kleenex or something? Maybe a little 'private time'?

You have to give Yamaha one thing, at least... Those are incredibly well programmed styles. Hats off to Yamaha's style team. Awesome!

But... those demos didn't do anything to make me change my mind about the Yamaha SOUND. Yes, I know it's Youtube, but I have listened to much of this stuff at Yamaha's own sites, in better fidelity, and it still seems a little flat and compressed to me. Like hearing a great band playing, from outside the room they are playing in, over a compressed house Muzak system

The styles are great, some of the lead sounds are great (love those guitars!), but I am not in the SLIGHTEST convinced I'm listening to a live band. If that's not your goal, then have at it! For the money, this one's a winner. I might STILL get one, just for the guitars and SA stuff, but unless I was doing background music, I would miss my Roland's ballsy drums and punchy sound if I tried to go solo on it.

I come from a live music background, still perform primarily in live bands lately, so perhaps I haven't forgot what a live band is SUPPOSED to sound like. The S910 might fool you if it's been a while since you sat next to a REAL drummer, but not me.

It's a shame, as those styles sound as well programmed as anything I've heard, but the style is only half the story...

All, as always... JMO

#275191 - 11/03/09 01:04 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Jeez, you guys need a Kleenex or something? Maybe a little 'private time'?

You have to give Yamaha one thing, at least... Those are incredibly well programmed styles. Hats off to Yamaha's style team. Awesome!

I'm doing okay, but I think Donny may need follow-up therapy.

They are incredibly programmed styles, aren't they?

Take my word for it, the S910 sounds much more "live" in the flesh...much more.

I'm sure Steve and Donny can back that up.

But, it's not going to sound like a G70, and, for those of us who love Yamaha's beautifully polished and refined sound, that's a good thing.

The Tyros3 styles work pretty good in it, the T2's work perfectly, so already you have an "incredibly well programmed" style base from which to start.

Somehow, and I'm far from alone in this opinion, it is more than an incremental upgrade from the S900.

T'would make a great "portable" keyboard for you, Diki...be ideal for those guerilla jam sessions, and a super scratch pad for the hotel room when you're on tour.

I highly recommend it.

Aren't you glad to see people so thrilled with a new arranger?

#275192 - 11/03/09 02:02 PM Re: Yamaha S910 demos.........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Makes a change from most of the Ketron negativity, anyway...

I'd STILL like to hear a back to back recording of the S900 and S910 with all the EQ and compression turned off, to see if it really IS all that much difference... Same ROM style, etc.. It's just too easy to get that 'new car smell' confused with it actually being a new car..

I wonder if Roland are going to leverage a MOTL out of the Prelude's (or GW-8L's) promising beginnings..? Somehow, I have my doubts, at least for the near future. But, OTOH, maybe that's a GOOD thing. I would hate to be sitting here with BOTH my G70's, and be wishing that I could have something different! Thank God there is STILL nothing out there to tempt me to replace them (and damn all the R&D programmers for making sure I can't ADD another to them!)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online